Fred Robinson book update

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
mrgoat

Fred Robinson book update

Postby mrgoat » November 21st, 2008, 8:42 am

For those not on Martin Breese's email list, he is taking pre-orders for the long awaited Fred Robinson book. You save 20 by preordering too. It's due out in January.

Woo hoo.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Fred Robinson book update

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 21st, 2008, 12:08 pm

Here is the ad from Martin Breese:

THE MAGIC of FRED ROBINSON
Due out in January

Nearly 15 years in the making but now at the printers and due out soon!
Special offer now for all those who have received this email and are on my priority special customer list. See at the end of this email for how to order this 75 book now for just 55 post free thus saving 20 immediately. This offer close on 4th December 2008.

My sincere apologies for the length of time this book has taken to be published but having read it many, many times over whilst checking proofs I can assure you that you will agree that it has been worth the very long wait. Thank you for your patience. Martin Breese

Here are just a few of the comments from those who have written lengthy tributes to Fred and his contribution to magic.

I state without fear of exaggerating that Fred was one of the all-time greats; especially with cards. DAI VERNON

Card magic and techniques of card-handling have fascinated me for most of my life. Meeting Fred was a highlight of my life. ROY WALTON

Your journey with Fred is about to begin thanks to Peter Duffie and Martin Breese. I envy you. SIMON LOVELL

Always with a twinkle in his eye, Fred would fool you consistently. GORDON BRUCE

The Magic of Fred Robinson may well be the most anxiously-awaited book amongst magicians the world over. It has been in the making for at least fourteen years and I have had literally hundreds and hundreds of emails and letters asking when it would be released. Finally it has been sent off to the printers and I believe that it will be the most significant magic book of this decade.

Fred Robinson was a private man but his skill at sleight-of-hand with cards and coins was legendary. He could be found at the Magic Circle on Monday evenings and many well-known names from around the world paid homage to Fred and travelled countless miles to witness for themselves his legendary skills.

He was the editor of Pabular magazine and inspired contributions from the finest magicians of his time. The Magic of Fred Robinson documents and describes every effect that Fred performed. It has been written by Peter Duffie who has skilfully described all of Fred's sleights and effects in the greatest of detail. There are pages of detailed drawings and photographs and the book pays tribute to one of the greatest sleight-of-hand magicians the world has ever known. Many magicians have contributed to this book and they will be the first to receive their copies as soon as the book is available.

The Magic of Fred Robinson: Regular Clients will be emailed as soon as the book is about to be released. If you know of anyone who would like to be added to my email list please let me know.

This amazing book The Magic of Fred Robinson by Peter Duffie with illustrations by Paul Griffin and Roy Johnson will be out in January and priced at 75 plus postage.

If you would like to save 20 and would like to pay just 55 now and receive your copy post-free on publication please make your payment now. It would be best for me by PayPal and your PayPal payment should be sent to me at mbreese999@aol.com. No advance orders accepted after 4th December.

If you want to pay by cheque then the cheque - made payable to Martin Breese - should be sent to me at the following address:

Martin Breese,
19A Hanover Crescent,
Brighton, East Sussex BN2 9SB
United Kingdom.

Please try to avoid paying by Visa or Mastercard as there is something going wrong in the world of Credit Cards and about 90% of all our transactions are not being cleared even though the clients have the money in their accounts.

If sending me a dollar currency cheque you will need to add $20 to the amount of the cheque as that is how much each dollar cheque loses when banked in the UK.

However you choose to pay, please ensure that you send me your full name and postal address as well. This offer expires on 4th December 08.

Thank you for reading this!

Best wishes,
Martin Breese

Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Randolph G

Postby Randolph G » November 21st, 2008, 12:29 pm

Special offer now for all those who have received this email and are on my priority special customer list. See at the end of this email for how to order this 75 book now for just 55 ...

Even though I did not receive this email, can I still pre-order?

If "yes" in paypal you can choose 'currency' which one would I choose? EUR, GBP, etc... ?

If sending me a dollar currency cheque you will need to add $20 to the amount of the cheque as that is how much each dollar cheque loses when banked in the UK.

Does this mean if I'm from the US I would pay 55 plus an additional $20? How would I do that through paypal?

I guess I'm a bit confussed on the US dollar amount I should be sending if I am able to pre-order this. Sorry for the "20 questions" just excited about the book and very interested in pre-ordering...

Sebastien L.

Postby Sebastien L. » November 21st, 2008, 1:13 pm

Randolph G wrote:Does this mean if I'm from the US I would pay 55 plus an additional $20? How would I do that through paypal?

Notice the part that says "If sending me a dollar currency cheque". Paypal is not a cheque.

On top of that Paypal will allow you to send funds in the currency you want. So pay the price as quoted, let Paypal worry about the currency conversion.

pduffie

Postby pduffie » November 21st, 2008, 1:17 pm

Hi Randolph

Yes, you can pre-order. Go to www.martinbreese.com

Pay via Paypal using the Paypal button at the bottom of the Robinson advert. Paypal will do the rest and will automatically convert your money into 55.00 GBP. The 20 surcharge is only if you are sending Martin a US dollar personal check. Some UK banks charge silly money to process foreign checks.

Peter

Randolph G

Postby Randolph G » November 21st, 2008, 2:04 pm

Sebastien L.,

Thank you for the clarification, my only excuse is that I was all too excited to hear about the braking news on the Fred Robinson book; that I missed that particular detail. Again thanks for the clarification.

Mr. Duffie,

I went to the website and I can't seem to find the 'advert' for the Fred Robinson book, I saw the DVD, but no book. I guess since I got more clarification I can just manualy just send 55 through PayPal, yes?

Thank you in advanced,

Randolph

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 21st, 2008, 2:09 pm

It's not a 20 GBP surcharge, it's a $20 surcharge. Just send payment via Paypal using your account, bank account or CC. Just enter 55GBP(no surcharge is needed) in the amount box. After that, the book magically arrives in your mail box.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 21st, 2008, 2:43 pm

Does it specify postage? Make sure to read carefully and include postage based upon where you live if necessary.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 21st, 2008, 2:49 pm

I think it says that if you pay now, it's post free.
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 21st, 2008, 8:54 pm

The book will only be available directly from Martin, so if you want one, order from him.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 22nd, 2008, 9:02 am

Just spoke with Martin and to clarify, he will ship anywhere, for free, if you do the advance order.

What a bargain!

dzejdzej

Postby dzejdzej » November 29th, 2008, 3:23 pm

I hope that there is part on Fred false deals, especially on his center deal :)

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » November 29th, 2008, 4:08 pm

It is all there.

pduffie

Postby pduffie » November 29th, 2008, 4:59 pm

The book also includesa a full illustrated description of Roy Walton's amazing handling for the Robinson Center Deal. As with the Robinson Deal, this is being tipped here for the first time.

Dick Koornwinder

Postby Dick Koornwinder » December 3rd, 2008, 4:48 pm

Im really looking forward to Duffies The Magic of Fred Robinson and I have not hesitated to order my copy immediately. In the early seventies I have visited the UK quite often and most of the times in the slipstream of Fred Kaps. I remember very well those wonderful sessions with Fred Robinson, Fred Kaps and Ken Brooke. Until this date I have never seen somebody doing the Center Deal so convincing and with such a perfection. In this forum there has been a thread about the best executer of the two handed pass. No doubt for me: Mr. Robinson. There has been a brief description of the Invisible Riffle Pass in one of the Routined Manupulations books of Lewis Ganson but I expect now to read a more profound description of the handling. Im still using the force Mr. Robinson has explained to me more as 35 years ago. I cant hardly wait!!

PapaG

Postby PapaG » December 3rd, 2008, 5:34 pm

This book is probably the most anticipated book in magic, second only to your Fred Kaps book. Which segues seamlessly into the question, any news on your book?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 3rd, 2008, 5:51 pm

I've seen the Fred Robinson book and it looks excellent. Who says print is dead!

Cugel

Postby Cugel » December 3rd, 2008, 7:35 pm

I took advantage of this early-bird deal. Glad I swung past the Genii board and saw it. Thanks.

dzejdzej

Postby dzejdzej » December 10th, 2008, 5:35 am

Richard,

will you offer similar pre-orders with lower prices and worldwide free shipping for your upcoming publications?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 10th, 2008, 8:53 am

I've offered special pre-publication prices for years, and shipping in the US is always free. I cannot offer worldwide free shipping--it's simply too expensive. I'm not a wealthly man like Martin. :)

dzejdzej

Postby dzejdzej » December 10th, 2008, 12:58 pm

Yes I know that. I know that overseas shipping is expensive. I also do not get it how Stephen Minch is offering free worldwide air shipping for all orders over 170$
For example if I take all three books of Ibidem it will be 180$ and free shipping for that huge parcel anywhere in the world.
How that?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 10th, 2008, 1:26 pm

He might be shipping by Global Priority Mail and just eating the cost. It's a sale, just like mine, however it's presented differently. He's choosing not to give an outright discount on the books themselves.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » December 10th, 2008, 4:15 pm

I just visited Martin Breese's website and found that the Robinson book pre-publication deal has been extended through this Friday, Dec 12.

Thought folks might like to know.

http://www.martinbreese.com/

PapaG

Postby PapaG » January 26th, 2009, 7:31 pm

Anyone received their copy yet?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 26th, 2009, 9:07 pm

I imagine folks in the UK will see it first, since their copies will arrive earlier than ours (because it's being printed over there).

gary1970

Postby gary1970 » January 26th, 2009, 9:37 pm

I received my copy today in Arlington VA.

PapaG

Postby PapaG » January 26th, 2009, 9:47 pm

First opinions?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 26th, 2009, 10:24 pm

We have a review from Paul Wilson in the February issue of Genii, which many folks have already received. He loved it. I've also read much of it, and it's excellent. It's expensive, but then so are most books of substance these days. The contents give high value.

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Postby Thomas Van Aken » January 27th, 2009, 3:45 am

Cannot see any reference to the book on Martin Breese web site. Can somebody help me ?
Thanks

Thomas

Remco

Postby Remco » January 27th, 2009, 4:59 am

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Postby Thomas Van Aken » January 27th, 2009, 6:00 am

OK.

Tanks.

mrgoat