Lynetta Welch

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
Jim Riser

Lynetta Welch

Postby Jim Riser » December 15th, 2008, 1:12 pm

The article on Lynetta Welch was a nice touch to the January 2009 issue of Genii. Magicians often ask why certain maker's items are more expensive than those usually found at magic shops. Her items are considered the best due to her choice of raw materials, the thought behind them, and the skill/care with which they are made. To handle her items is to know the feel of quality. Yes, quality can be felt.

It was interesting to read about her varied background which allowed her to become the fabric artist that she has become. The author seemed surprised that a female might have, want, or need power tools. Such items are necessary for creating items and skill in their use has nothing to do with gender. There are many female woodworkers, metal workers, welders, plumbers, etc. This is to be expected and desired. There is a saying that "if you want something done right, get it done by a woman". Lynetta proves the wisdom behind this quote.

Those who purchased a Glorpy from Madblood back in the day will appreciate Lynetta's original thinking behind her enhanced version. When I met her after a Denny Haney lecture in Vegas, she showed me a coin/ring vanish hank that is another wonderful example of her problem solving skills and original thinking. Thought behind each product and quality materials/workmanship are typical of her items.

Richard, thanks for the brief look into the world of one of magic's best makers.
Jim

Donal Chayce

Re: Lynetta Welch

Postby Donal Chayce » December 15th, 2008, 8:34 pm

I've not yet received the January issue, but I'd like to lend my voice to the praises being sung about Lynetta Welch.

I had a terrific experience (my first) vis-a-vis Lynetta's products and services in March of this year. I needed to have a topit installed into a kilt jacket, and if you aren't familiar with Highland dress, a kilt jacket is much shorter and worn significantly tighter than a traditional suit jacket or sport coat. It was a tricky task, to say the least, which is why after thoroughly researching my options I turned to Lynetta.

I met with Lynetta in Las Vegas for a consultation and fitting, and left my jacket with her. The topit had to be custom made to fit the jacket and, in addition, it had to be positioned somewhat differently as well. As it turned out, Lynetta made and installed a pair of topits, one on each side, and they were both fitted into the jacket beautifully.

As a point of information, Lynetta's topit is similar in design to the Ammar topit, including the pocket retrieval feature, but hers has an additional feature that insures the flap will stay in place once you've tucked it into your pants (or, in my case, my kilt). Even though this particular jacket necessitates having the topits located higher up on my body, because of the way Lynetta positioned them I didn't have to significantly alter my technique. More impressive is the fact that even though the jacket is very close-fitting, I still have a fairly wide "sweet spot" for the dirty work. The topits work like a charm.

To add icing on the cake, Lynetta is exceptionally knowledgeable about magic and theatre crafts, and exceedingly personable to boot. I'm glad that Genii has featured her in an article--IMO the attention is well deserved.
The MacGician®

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 15th, 2008, 8:56 pm

Donal, I love your avatar. Is that from Way Out West?

And I will avoid all lame jokes about kilts and how you keep the tail of the Topit in place. Well, almost ...
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » December 15th, 2008, 9:15 pm

Jim Riser wrote:The author seemed surprised that a female might have, want, or need power tools.
Jim

And I will avoid all lame jokes about that issue.

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. I'm weak.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » December 15th, 2008, 9:57 pm

Tom Frame wrote:
Jim Riser wrote:The author seemed surprised that a female might have, want, or need power tools.
Jim

And I will avoid all lame jokes about that issue.

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. I'm weak.

Now, Tom;
That is being disrespectful to a very talented person. She does not deserve such "humor". Shame be upon you.
Jim

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » December 15th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Donal, I love your avatar. Is that from Way Out West?

And I will avoid all lame jokes about kilts and how you keep the tail of the Topit in place. Well, almost ...

(Re: my avatar) Yep, it is indeed. Thanks!

As for keeping the tail of my topit in place under my kilt, as you might imagine it takes some very careful tucking.

But please--don't call it "lame," okay? :eek:
The MacGician®

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 15th, 2008, 11:57 pm

Donal, with that avatar you're okay with me, even if you do wear a skirt sometimes.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » December 16th, 2008, 1:51 am

Ohhhhh...I thought it was my topit tail you were calling "lame." Nevermind... ;)
The MacGician®

Terry

Postby Terry » December 16th, 2008, 7:58 am

The Scotsman's Song

Well, a Scotsman clad in kilt once left a bar one evening fair,
And one could tell by how he walked that he'd drunk more than his share.
He fumbled 'round until he could no longer keep his feet.
Then he stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street.

Ring ding diddle iddle i de o,
Ring die diddley i o.
He stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street..

About that time two young and lovely girls just happened by.
One said to the other with a twinkle in her eye.
See yon sleeping Scotsman so strong and handsome built.
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt.

Ring die diddley i o.
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt.

They crept up on that sleeping Scotsman quiet as could be,
Lifted up his kilt about an inch so they could see.
And there behold for them to view beneath his Scottish skirt,
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth.

Ring die diddley i o.
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth.

They marveled for a moment and then one said we must be gone.
Let's leave a present for our friend before we move along.
As a gift they left a blue silk ribbon tied into a bow,
Around the bonnie star the Scot's kilt did lift and show.

Ring die diddley i o.
Around the bonnie star the Scot's kilt did lift and show.

Now the Scotsman woke to nature's call and stumbled toward the trees.
Behind the bush he lifts his kilt and gawks at what he sees.
And in a startled voice he says to what's before his eyes,
Oh! lad I don't know where you've been but I see you won first prize.

Ring die diddley i o.
Oh! lad I don't know where you've been but I see you won first prize.

John Carney

Postby John Carney » December 19th, 2008, 1:48 am

Its rare to find someone that knows how to make things of quality, that also understands magic as well. I'm very impressed with Lynetta's designs... they are ingenius and practical in the real world.......and the quality can't be beat!

naquada

Postby naquada » December 19th, 2008, 9:42 am

I'd also like to say how professional and talented Lynetta is.. I spoke to her about a potential order, and she ran up the item in question, before I'd even ordered it.. the comment of 'its fine I'll run one up this weekend in the colour you need, and then it will ship faster once you order' is not one you hear often. She also contacted me to advise me that the order had been queried as un-delivered in the UK by UPS, in fact it was the royal mail that was holding it for customs payment, and I was only alerted to that by Lynetta's information.. I've STILL yet to get the letter from the Royal Mail advising me that it was with them for customs payment.. THATS service.. and I'd have no hesitation in ordering and talking with her about other items..

On the manufacture and finish of the items.. they are second to none.. I just wish she was over here so I could have Topits fitted to all my jackets quickly :)
Member of The Magic Circle
www.magicconventionguide.com

Mark Phillips
Favorite Magician: Mac King

Postby Mark Phillips » December 19th, 2008, 3:43 pm

I really enjoyed the article: I know the author and think he did a wonderful writing job. I don't think he was surprised by the power tool issue, I think he was simply illustrating a fact that most of the readers would find surprising.
Go practice.

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » January 26th, 2009, 2:15 pm

I contacted Lynetta about a year ago to make a ring hank for me (similar to the John Archer one). These are ridiculously simple in design, but I wanted it made right, so I went to Lynetta. She said, "no problem", but that she was working on another design for a ring vanish hank and that I might be interested in that instead. I hesitantly said, "okay" not even knowing the "how" of it, and went on gut instinct that Lynetta knows what she's doing. I was not disappointed - her ring hank is expensive, yes, but one of the best designs (and construction) I've ever seen. Truly ingenious and deceptive. I can't recommend these enough - and only wish I had something like this years ago to accommodate a convincing ring vanish and retrieval. Glad she got some well deserved recognition in the magazine!

Doug

Bob Sanders

Postby Bob Sanders » January 26th, 2009, 2:24 pm

Congratulations!

The good article about Lynetta Welch was long over due. Quality never goes out of style. The lady knows her stuff. Making magic is her trade but she has been a well-kept secret.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz
AmazedWiz@yahoo.com
SilkMagic@DoveLite.com

Return to “Feature Articles”