Tension, Focus and Design

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Tension, Focus and Design

Postby Matthew Field » January 15th, 2009, 6:05 am

I want to highly recommend to those of you who read Genii the first in a new series of columns by Aaron Fisher.

"Tension, Focus and Design" is the column name, and "Shattered" the trick under consideration. It's a lot more than a trick -- in the column Aaron explains the Art Altman Double Undercut Bottom Palm, a beautiful move which was accessible to few cardmen since it appears in the hard-to-find Marlo's Magazine No.4. Also taught is Aaron's own Gravity Palm Replacement. These moves are carefully explained in 4 1/2 pages of text and 17 photo illustrations.

What Aaron has accomplished is to write a column that will be of interest to card enthusiasts of virtually all levels of expertise. This is a very difficult thing to do.

I can't congratulate Aaron (and Editor Kaufman)enough for having this tremendous resource in an already great magazine.

Matt Field

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Re: Tension, Focus and Design

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 20th, 2009, 7:59 pm

I second that Matt. I also welcome this column and look forward to studying Aaron's refined approach to card magic. I consider The Paper Engine nothing short of a masterpiece in card handling instruction. His Gavity Half Pass and refined handling of the Slip Force and Diminishing Lift Sequence are superb. I hope Aaron will share his handling of the Top Card Cover Pass in a future issue of "Tension, Focus, and Design."

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » January 21st, 2009, 12:30 pm

Not to mention the fact that Aaron is one of the nicest guys in magic. Congrats on a great new column making the greatest magic magazine even better!!!

Glen

AaronFisher

Postby AaronFisher » March 5th, 2009, 8:48 pm

Hey Guys,

I would further like to add that the new issue features one of my actual favorite card tricks. Enjoy this one, because the few that actually run through it will have a MEAN piece of business to deal out!

A
Card Magic and Beyond

http://www.aaronfishermagic.com

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » March 6th, 2009, 6:45 am

I've really been enjoying your column so far. Great stuff!
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » March 6th, 2009, 9:29 am

Hi Aaron:

Bill Goodwin fooled the crap out of me when he showed me this a few years back when he was travelling with Lee Asher on Lee's lecture tour and they stopped at Midwest Magic. I bought a set of Bill's notes from him that day that included this trick. I played with it a bit but could never get it right. I really like your handling and am going to be working on it. Thanks for putting it out.

I look forward to your columns in the future.

Thanks again Aaron.- Tom

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » March 6th, 2009, 11:15 am

AaronFisher wrote:Hey Guys,

I would further like to add that the new issue features one of my actual favorite card tricks. Enjoy this one, because the few that actually run through it will have a MEAN piece of business to deal out!

A

Which issue is this? The Uri Geller (I don't see the trick/column in the TOC) or the following?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 6th, 2009, 12:39 pm

It's in the March issue with Geller on the cover: it was accidentally left out of the table of contents.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Cugel

Postby Cugel » March 6th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:I second that Matt. I also welcome this column and look forward to studying Aaron's refined approach to card magic. I consider The Paper Engine nothing short of a masterpiece in card handling instruction. His Gavity Half Pass and refined handling of the Slip Force and Diminishing Lift Sequence are superb. I hope Aaron will share his handling of the Top Card Cover Pass in a future issue of "Tension, Focus, and Design."

I like the trick with seven half passes (to eliminate an add-on move). I can't remember its name, but I think it might have been called "The Trick with Seven Half-Passes".

AaronFisher

Postby AaronFisher » March 8th, 2009, 7:33 am

There WERE a lot of half passes in that trick! I'd forgotten that one (I wrote the book about 11 years ago). THANKS!
Card Magic and Beyond

http://www.aaronfishermagic.com

Cugel

Postby Cugel » March 9th, 2009, 3:12 am

Has it really been that long? It feels like just yesterday.

Return to “Columns”