Label in bottle

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
TylerErickson

Label in bottle

Postby TylerErickson » January 10th, 2009, 1:44 am

I'm looking for the first person to cause the label to move from the outside to the inside of a bottle. I know both David Roth and David Harkey have done this, but who was the first? Or was it invented by someone else?

Thanks in advance,

T

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Label in bottle

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 10th, 2009, 10:31 am

I have a vague recollection that it might be in Tom censored.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

flynn

Postby flynn » January 10th, 2009, 11:09 am

Didn't David Roth's say in one of his lecture videos that he came up with the idea?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 10th, 2009, 10:28 pm

He may have, and I'm not certain it's in Tom censored. I have a vague recollection of seeing an illustration of a bottle with the label on the inside in an old book. Considering the object, Tom censored is a good guess.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » January 11th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Looking around a bit, here are some references I could find:

World's Fair, October 23, 1937, Leicester Magic
Circle Competition Rerport: "Billy Francis was just one point behind with an intriguing label on bottle effect, the label being made to travel from the outside to the inside of bottle. This was done without covering of any sort"

World's Fair, May 18, 1940, Leicester Magic Circle Report: "Mr. Billie Francis, our treasurer, then performed his trick was with the aid of an ordinary bottle of beer. After having poured the contents of the bottle into a glass and pointing out that its label was on the 'outside' of the bottle, he flashed his torch and the label suddenly found its way to the 'inside' of the bottle and was immediately passed out to the audience for examination. A quick but very snappy effect."

Linking Ring, June 1976, Evansville Ring 56 Parade: "TRANSFER" Effect: A label mysteriously transfers from outside a bottle to the inside. Unknown author.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

TylerErickson

Postby TylerErickson » January 12th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Thanks Joe,

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to find that without you.

T

Return to “Reference Room”