Bill Coomer Passed Away

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Bill Coomer Passed Away

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 8th, 2009, 3:26 am

It saddens me to report that Bill Coomer has passed away at the age of 69. Some of you may have taken advantage of Bills recent sale of just some of his collection of over 2,500 decks of cards. He also has a large collection of autographed cards.

Bill had many friends in magic and I am proud to be among them, even if it was for less than a year. I met Bill at the IBM/SAM convention last July via mutual friends and we hit it off immediately. In just those few days, I felt like I had a life-long friend. We shared many interests including a love of JN Hilliards Greater Magic. We also both love Stuart Judahs magic. But for Bill it was an absolute passion and he collected the material for and then self-published (with permission) a book called Judah Notes.

He was also a devotee of Dai Vernon and in fact named his son Dai Vernon Coomer.

Bill called Cape Girardeau, Missouri home. He is survived by his wife Jurea and two sons. His funeral will be this Saturday.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Bill Coomer Passed Away

Postby Matthew Field » January 8th, 2009, 3:39 am

Sad news. I signed a card for Bill at his request and received a lovely note from him. He was a true devotee of magic.

Matt Field

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » January 8th, 2009, 9:39 am

This saddens me. When I was first seriously interested in magic, Bill was a frequent visitor to the local IBM ring in Columbia, MO (Ring 8?). I learned a lot from him, and not just about magic.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 8th, 2009, 9:40 am

Very sorry to hear this. Although Cape Girardeau is but a half-hour away from my hometown in Little Egypt (the only nearby places you can buy supplies are Cape Girardeau and Paducah, KY), I didn't meet Bill in person until this summer in Louisville. A very nice guy, and I was happy to sign one of his cards.

Return to “Buzz”