Suitcase sizes for airtravel

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Suitcase sizes for airtravel

Postby 000 » December 28th, 2008, 6:46 am

Im thinking of building a suitcase table/ box
For domestic and international air travel, does anyone have the latest maximum dimensions allowed for one's suitcase and hand luggage? Thank you.

Re: Suitcase sizes for airtravel

Postby 000 » December 28th, 2008, 6:48 am

Sorry, just to add I travel in cattle ie economy, class

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » December 28th, 2008, 10:18 am

Postby 000 » December 28th, 2008, 12:00 pm

Thanks for that

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 28th, 2008, 3:57 pm

65 linear inches: height plus length, plus depth. If it's above 50 pounds you'll pay dearly.
Carry on is 45 linear inches.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » December 28th, 2008, 7:33 pm

A good source of info is http://www.onebag.com/

Doug's site has all sort of tips on traveling light, with one bag. The site is a hobby with him.

You should understand that if the flight is crowded, if the airline people think your bag is too heavy, if they don't like your looks or demeanor, anything, what you think is carry on will go with the checked baggage. Their decision, not yours.

I have used one of these for years and found it extremely practical. http://charvetmagic.com/catalog/c3_p1.html For the amount of use you'll get out of it, they are inexpensive. I have two.

It is for checked baggage only, not carry on. I've used my table locally, nationally and internationally and they fly and arrive in great shape. I use TSA-approved locks and never had a problem. The expensive props like the Martin Rising Cards, always go with me on the plane in my briefcase.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » December 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

One bag is a great site...

Different airlines have different dimensions -- I remember doing a comparison and, I believe, Southwest had the largest size allowance for carry on ..

If building a case, my suggestion would be to get the current data together, and make the case fit easily in the most restrictive dimensions

Seth Kramer makes the great recommendation -- in his Trade Show Book -- of keeping a duplicate set of all of the show props in a pre-paid fed-ex box at home, so his wife can overnight it virtually anywhere in an emergency...

Postby 000 » December 30th, 2008, 12:03 am

Wow, the Charvet tables look irresistible..........
Could someone tell me what their weight is when empty?

Check wwww.magicbymeasure.co.uk for some great looking cabaret box tables.

Postby 000 » December 30th, 2008, 12:05 am

Apologies

www.madetomeasuremagic.co.uk is the correct site adress

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 30th, 2008, 12:15 am

Sorry: it's 62 (not 65) linear inches for checked baggage. This is system wide for ALL airlines.

There is some variation in carry-on luggage size between airlines:

Continental Airlines maximum of 51 linear inches (l + w + h) 40 lbs

Delta Airlines maximum of 45 linear inches (l + w + h) 40 lbs

Southwest Airlines 10 x 16 x 24 40 lbs

United Airlines 22 x 14 x 9 40 lbs

US Airways 22 x 14 x 9 40 lbs
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby 000 » December 30th, 2008, 3:26 am

The Charvet is 18, 14 and 12 inches.........so the linear would be 44 inches and qualify for carry on?

Postby 000 » December 30th, 2008, 6:50 am

Apologies, im a bit poor when it comes to pictures.........

Is the top of the Charvet table( as it stands on the pic) 18 by 12 inches, and therefore the floor table base 18 by 14 inches?

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » December 30th, 2008, 9:39 am

As I said in my post, this is not for carry on. It's for checked baggage. Presumably you'll want to carry clothes and props and a table if you're going to perform professionally. Unless you're doing a minimal-prop mentalism show, then you'll need to bite the bullet and check baggage.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » December 30th, 2008, 2:55 pm

"OOO"

They are not light. Great, strong, useful...

GO

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » December 30th, 2008, 9:53 pm

Empty, the table is about 22-23 pounds. Lined with Velcro compatible material it is easy enough to travel with your props nicely anchored. It is a strong piece of luggage that can stand the handling it will get in the belly of the plane. The catches have places for locks so it can be secure. The wheels are under the detachable top which becomes the base. Two connecting pipes become the upright. Theres plenty of room for props. I had a half-shelf made that slides in small tracks on the top of the table.

If you travel extensively there are several approaches. One is to ship everything ahead, having it at your hotel or destination when you arrive. That means only a small carry-on is necessary for you. Unfortunately, that can be expensive. I always checked as little as I could and always tried to get direct flights with no stop-overs or changes of planes. I also made sure to tip the Sky Cap well. I never lost a thing.

For traveling there are several approaches one can take for props. For specialty equipment, have a duplicate set of props in a box that can be expressed to you quickly if necessary.

Or, theres the approach taken by Bob Cassidy who supplies himself with items from a stationery store nothing specially made for him. His act can travel in a briefcase.

There is plenty of good advice in this book assembled by Randy Pryor - http://www.randypryor.com/pages/products.html It is worth far more than the small sum you will pay for it if you contemplate spending a lot of time on the road.

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » December 30th, 2008, 10:04 pm

I've used Charvet tables in my acts for the last 5 years or so... one of the better investments I've made.

In the most recent case where I had tight turnarounds, I shipped a duplicate set of props to the hotel prior to the show. I flew from a prior gig with only a carry-on bag... left the airport, stopped at a CVS and bought some additional materials (posterboard, markers, cards) and then went on to the hotel. I had called ahead to ensure that the box was waiting for me at the front desk. All went fine -- I packed the box after the show and had it prepared to ship the next day, as I went to the airport to catch my return flight to the place I had left.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » December 31st, 2008, 1:00 am

II should add that the first really professional table I had was made for me by Kirkham in the early 1970s. It was loosely modeled after the Abbott's Nite Club Table and was little more than a box on a stand with a half-shelf. I had a flange attached to the bottom and used a P&L base to which a machinist had attached castors. I had a fiber case made ($20 back then) with a separate partitioned space that held the parts of the base. It took five minutes to set up. Everything for the act (as it was constituted back then) fitted into the table and the table into the fiber case. It was small, relatively light, and did its job. It was not carry on. Later, I had it upholstered in black vinyl and used it until I bought my first Charvet table.

If I were to go out on the road again I would have something similar to the Charvet table made, only smaller than what they currently offer as I dont need all the room it provides. It might be possible to design one that would be small enough to be used as a carry on, but you still have the problem of your clothes unless the airlines you use will permit the carry-on magic case and a hanger bag.

Return to “General”