Academy of Magical Arts March 8 Awards Banquet Information!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Academy of Magical Arts March 8 Awards Banquet Information!

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 16th, 2008, 5:16 pm

Details from The Academy of Magical Arts on this year's Award Ceremony and ticket ordering information:

The 41ST annual awards ceremony of the Academy of Magical Arts a new venue; a new format; an exciting new experience..hosted by Broadway, television and motion picture star Neil Patrick Harris!

On March 8, 2009, attendees of this black-tie event will enjoy a fast-paced award ceremony and spectacular After Party while experiencing the classic ambiance of the fully-renovated Avalon Theatre in Hollywoodthe former Hollywood Palace Theatre.

The fully-equipped theatre will be augmented with custom-designed tables, seating and lighting to create an elegant, cabaret-style setting in which to enjoy the festivities, complete with live musical accompaniment.

This years ceremony will focus heavily on recognizing the various award winners and their contributions to the art of magic. And, to add to the excitement, award winners will not be announced until the night of the eventlive, on stage.

Entertainment will be provided by seldom-seen, spectacular magic and variety acts. The ultimate goal is to provide a fast-paced, professional, entertaining event in which virtually everyone in attendance can participatethanks to the special After Party.

Unlike previous award ceremonies, no formal dinner will be served. Instead, following the on-stage events, all attendees are invited to mingle with award winners and celebrity presenters in three custom-designed mini-nightclubs within the Avalonwhich will feature live musical and magical entertainment and complimentary tray-passed hot and cold hors d oeuvres. In addition, lavish buffets will be available, as well as full bar service.

Doors will open at 6 pm for a one-hour cocktail reception. The ceremonies will begin at 7 pm, immediately followed by the After Party.

Tickets go on sale January 5th, 2009. Prices range from $50.00 to $250.00 and are available by contacting Mr. Matt Patton at The Magic Castle, 323-851-3313 xt. 336 or via e-mail to mpatton@magiccastle.com. Additional information is available on the Magic Castle website, www.magiccastle.com

The Avalon Hollywood is located at 1735 N. Vine St, Hollywood, Ca. 90028..just block north of Hollywood Boulevard and within 2 miles of the Magic Castle.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dave Egleston

Re: Academy of Magical Arts March 8 Awards Banquet Information!

Postby Dave Egleston » December 18th, 2008, 1:17 pm

I've attended and enjoyed the AMA ceremony in the past, but I think I'm going to wait to see how this new format is going to work. I can't visualize what seems to be a lot of bovine-like crowd movement with very little show.

It sounds like a "10 monkeys - 7 Bananas" situation to me.

I hope I'm wrong.

I couldn't find any information about this on the Magic Castle Website yet.

Dave
Last edited by Dave Egleston on December 18th, 2008, 1:21 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Rearranged a sentence

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 18th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Dave, the people running the event this year are detail-oriented and I know them well. You'll have what I believe to be a great experience at this year's AMA ceremony without having your butt glued to the seat for four hours. I wouldn't be taking part in the event as a presenter if I didn't have great faith that folks running it know what they're doing.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » December 18th, 2008, 9:41 pm

I'll probably go again this/next year, I just know how magicians act when it's a "first come first serve" situation, heck, you should see it when Stan Allen puts out a free cooler full of water at MAGIClive!

Just talked to my wife - we'll be there.

Dave

Return to “Buzz”