Announcing...The Erdnase Scroll

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Todd Karr

Announcing...The Erdnase Scroll

Postby Todd Karr » December 10th, 2008, 7:51 pm

Hi, everyone

We've created a unique art object for you: S. W. Erdnase's classic 1902 book The Expert at the Card Table as a deluxe handmade scroll in a limited edition of 300 copies.

Go to our site to take a look at this epic production! The Miracle Factory

The mysterious S. W. Erdnase's 1902 work The Expert at the Card Table influenced some of magic's finest performers and it continues to inspire today. Its pseudonymed author remains in the shadows despite major research efforts, but his influential card book is still one of the most revered magic books of all time.

We have now created The Erdnase Scroll, an enigmatic art object worthy of the aura surrounding Erdnase: the complete text of his superb book in scroll form, limited to 300 numbered copies. Each is carefully created with fine ivory parchment paper, maple-tone wood ornaments, suede tie cord, and a velour protective drawstring bag.

You will read the entire original text with all of Marshall D. Smith's classic illustrations, as well as Todd Karr's extensive research on Erdnase's identity. The text is in a handwritten calligraphy font and is still completely readable as a learning tool.

Like many magicians, we were fans of Tony Andruzzi's wonderful Scroll of Maskelyn Ye Mage, which now sells for over $1000 at auction.

We're confident The Erdnase Scroll will also become a favorite in your collection, and a valuable collector's item soon to sell out like all our deluxe productions.

Note: Please allow two to three weeks for custom completion and delivery of your scroll!

Best wishes,
Todd

The Miracle Factory

Jeff Pierce Magic

Re: Announcing...The Erdnase Scroll

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » December 11th, 2008, 4:05 pm

WOW!!!

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » December 11th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Jeff: Wow indeed! Seeing and reading Erdnase in this form is pretty amazing. Lots of handwork involved in making them but the end result is visually stunning. They're going fast, too.

By the way, these are great Christmas presents. We're doing our best to get the scrolls out in time for the holidays, so order early if you want yours under the tree!

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » December 11th, 2008, 11:29 pm

The text is in a handwritten calligraphy font and is still completely readable as a learning tool.

TK,
The above description is puzzling for simple old soul like myself.

Has this text and imagery on your scrolls been handwritten by a Homo Sapiens in ink with a Speedball or similar pen?
OR
Has the text and images been applied electronically or chemically applied by mechanical means using a calligraphic type font like True Type, etc.?

Thank you in advance for your reply as I am seriously considering sending you Z$600.00 pre- Mugabe or Z$750,000,000,000,000,000,000 post Gideon Gono for a pair of them.

Just joking about the above currency, will remit in rock-solid Confederate $$ :)

Thanks again for your reply as I am a serious potential customer.

It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » December 12th, 2008, 7:28 am

Is there a chance of seeing a close up photo of the text? The shots on the site are not that clear.

Take care, Ian

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » December 13th, 2008, 3:58 pm

:sleep: :sleep:

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » December 13th, 2008, 7:51 pm

Hi, Ian and Ray: My great-grandfather's grandfather was a Russian scribe who wrote the holy books by hand. Had he lived in our time, I'm sure he would have loved computer composition! ;) So no, it's not the real thing but an incredible simulation, as they used to say in commercials for the "Beatlemania" musical.

I've added a shot of Erdnase's great preface on our Erdnase Scroll images page at The Miracle Factory so you can see the calligraphy. I was careful to choose a font that looked fairly natural and appropriately handwriting-like yet still be readable.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » December 14th, 2008, 12:11 am

TK,

On your top photograph where the scroll is partially unrolled on the horizontal plane - Is it the tan color of aged parchment as depicted or is it really white like shown in the lower photograph?

Thank You

BTW - Have you ever seen Hattie McDaniel's ghost at your business address?
;)

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » December 14th, 2008, 2:02 pm

The final printed color of the paper is an ivory parchment. The pure white of the image of Erdnase's preface is taken directly from layout, thus the white color behind the black text.

Oscar winner Hattie McDaniel of Gone with the Wind fame did in fact live up our street, Harvard Boulevard, in the middle of the last century. In the 1940s, she helped make a stand for minorities' rights as homeowners, leading to a groundbreaking court ruling. We haven't seen her ghost yet, though.

My other neighbors include Harry Kellar and director Tod Browning (Dracula, Freaks), whose ashes lie in the mausoleum of our neighborhood's ancient Angelus Rosedale Cemetary.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » December 14th, 2008, 8:56 pm

My other neighbors include Harry Kellar

Is he still alive? :)

Thanks for the details on your scroll.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 14th, 2008, 10:52 pm

I think Todd holds seances in his big old house.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mike Carr

Postby Mike Carr » December 15th, 2008, 4:33 pm

Hello Sir,
I can't get your likk to work but a freiend of my got an EMail on your scrolls and told me that they were #250 a copy.

Is that still true?

Thank you very much for your tme.
Amegms the great
"Then he seized the pack."
"Do you like card tricks?"
Max Kelada

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 15th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Amgems the Great: If you would click on the link in the original post by Todd, you would see that they are indeed $250 a copy.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 15th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Or should I refer to you as "The Great Smegma"?

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”