World Magic Awards

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

World Magic Awards

Postby MaxNY » November 26th, 2008, 11:14 pm

I caught bits and pieces...will have more to say at a later date...but

Who was the deadpan, kid? Make way for a new star. Very funny!

Hans riuned Rudy Coby's Nicky Terminator. My sister in Law said...Isn't she just in..." The illusion needs something more than a big old fat cart table top you idiot. Put a damn Turkey, and candles...anything. My God this illusionist isn't the sharpest tool in the box, Oh no, he doesn't have any tools, just an empty box. And shame on him for stealing another's idea, then slaughtering it.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: World Magic Awards

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 26th, 2008, 11:28 pm

My wife enjoyed Hans Klock's performance a lot and he's certainly improved since I last saw him at FISM in Den Haag (and walked out).

They certainly cut everyone's work to the bone, and some of the editing was wonky, but for a two-hour magic special it's better than we've had in a long time.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pepka

Postby Pepka » November 27th, 2008, 12:09 am

It was much better than last time. The young man was hilarious! I noticed Rafael was the assistant in the audience for Hans. And did anyone else catch a quick "flash" when he vanished a girl in the chair? There was a quick clip of Aye Jaye in the audience.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » November 27th, 2008, 12:23 am

The kid stole the show, far and beyond. How about a cover story on him Richard?

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » November 27th, 2008, 1:20 am

any one know when it will re-air
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Kenardo

Postby Kenardo » November 27th, 2008, 1:22 am

Overall I enjoyed the show. The acts were great - a more consistent high quality than last year's which had some ridiculous escapes. The camera work was also better this time around. However, the editing during the first half hour was really annoying - cuts constantly to the audience at the wrong times. Surprisingly this seemed corrected as the show progressed. I think that the guest celebrities added nothing to the show; perhaps the network insisted on them. I like the show's publicizing Feed the Children. I was also surprised that Nani Darnell was not inluded in the Blackstone Award presentation.

I still think that the award presentation is sort of bogus. The only time I have ever heard of the World Magic Organization is with respect to this TV show. It reminds me of the IMS awards; to me IMS is only a supplier of videos. Maybe, again, theat was the hook needed to sell the show. Anyway, kudos to Gay Blackstone for producing a great show.

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » November 27th, 2008, 1:59 am

Great special overall. The kid is kyle. He did great.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » November 27th, 2008, 7:21 am

Yeah that's him. He has a great bit.

Overall, it was a great televised magic show!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 27th, 2008, 11:09 am

Nobody gets paid to work that show: the presentation of the award, good for their resumes, is what gets the acts to perform. The award is a fictional entity: who knows who gets one or who decides it?

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » November 27th, 2008, 1:41 pm

The only act that completely lost me was Franz Harary's airplane bit. It was repeatedly billed as an "escape," yet he didn't escape from anything (other than having to perform in the Santa Monica hangar that doubled as a soundstage). Worse, the vanish of one airplane as a second airplane crossed it's path played rather flatly, as it smacked of so-much camera trickery.

Mind you, I'm not saying that's how the trick was accomplished. But for contemporary audiences (including children) who've been saturated with all sorts of electronic wizardry in films and television, I can only imagine a "ho-hum" reaction.
The MacGician®

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 27th, 2008, 1:52 pm

I don't believe it was a camera trick per se. It appeared to me as if the white plane flying toward Franz was a miniature remote-controlled plane, and the red plane flying at right angles sort of pushed it out of the way or scooped it up. I know it sounds dopey, but that's what it looked like. Anyone Tivo it and watch it frame by frame?

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » November 27th, 2008, 4:16 pm

I taped it on VHS. If I get around to it, I'll put it on a cd and watch it in slow motion on my computer.

David

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » November 27th, 2008, 5:40 pm

We shouldn't be discussing methods in here should we? ;)

magicking
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby magicking » November 27th, 2008, 6:03 pm

If anyone could make me a copy of the whole show, I would sure appreciate it and be glad to pay the shipping..Im in Missouri zip 65459,, I would prefer it on DVD but would gladly take it on vhs

Thanks in advance
Mike
Michael King
All Things Are Possible If You Believe!

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 27th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Well, the kid was good, and certainly a favorite moment of mine in the show (though he does need to polish his technique and timing a bit). But I was half expecting him to say, "I was home schooled."

Dustin

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 27th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Yes, of course we discuss methods here! What do you think this Forum is for? I wish more people would discuss methods--it might be easier to figure out what the hell they're trying to say.

The kid was good, but completely out of his league. That long segment could have been better filled by another professional.

Paul Q

Postby Paul Q » November 27th, 2008, 11:20 pm

Out of his league?!!!

It was a TEEN AWARD! I didn't expect Slydini!

I enjoyed the whole show but the kids' routine and delivery had me laughing out loud. The Amazing Johnathan was phoning it in. The kid was more entertaining than half of the performers.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 27th, 2008, 11:32 pm

Yes, it was a teen award ... and he was a good teenage performer. As such, he was out of his league among all the well-seasoned professionals on stage. His laconic sense of humor was amusing, but he was nervous and fumbled a little. And his routine seemed longer than some others. I didn't think he fit the spot.

John Signa

Postby John Signa » November 27th, 2008, 11:45 pm

The plane bit seemed a bit fishy to me. When the plane vanished, its trailing smoke disappeared as well.
Went back and step through it...
When camera cut from the white plane to the red one and back to white, it seemed that the white plane was suddenly further away. Also, as the red plane passed by, the shadow of the white plane and it's smoke disappeared in a single frame.

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » November 27th, 2008, 11:53 pm

Will this in youtube? I would like to see it.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » November 28th, 2008, 12:35 am

Richard wants us to discuss methods. I say why bother with that crappy plane vanish. Only bother to discuss methods of something decent, which that wasn't. How were Sperry and Alonzo? I missed 'em. Also, Kyle's opening line killed me. Something like "Magic has been my hobby since I was 10. Other people have hobbies like stamp collecting or friendship."

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » November 28th, 2008, 2:55 am

Agreed, he was obviously nervous. But, it's good to have a performer that's more of an up and coming original magician somewhere in the lineup.

David

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » November 28th, 2008, 4:46 am

Does he write his own material?

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » November 28th, 2008, 8:41 am

He probably didn't. Really dry wit. It's amazing that he didn't break charachter. It's a great bit, like...? Pat Paulson, or Ben Stein.

Dan Sperry was great. My first time seeing him. Homey was weaned on icycles! He did a dove split behind his back, thatI liked. His mouth kept jabbering, but he wasn't miked...great misdirection. I don't think his make-up had to be that dramatic. It was the look of a scarey clown, not some goth punk...A fine line, maybe too much make-up crosses you over into the tattoo palor clown look. Probably works this year because of the Batman Heath Ledger look, but may need to change next year.

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » November 28th, 2008, 12:59 pm

The first guy on.....don't recall his name....merely went from one box to another, producing all kinds of things with nary an effort at a reason or anything else. Get me the box, let's cover it, then uncover and....WOW a wild animal or a female. Next.

Roxanne (hope I have the name right), the pretty female magician that did a "spider-web type thing", impressed me. Very smooth...polished and professional. First time I'd seen her.

Airplane thing? Much the same as all the other stuff he's done...."Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" (Thanks Bill)

I did like Alonzo and surpisingly, the Goth Guy....I don't normally like that genre in anything....but I liked him.

I've seen The Amazing Johnathan MUCH better than this performance.

For what thats worth...
Adrian

Jared Cassidy

Postby Jared Cassidy » November 28th, 2008, 1:09 pm

All in all I enjoyed the special very much. My favorite act was Dan Sperry's, which I thought was one of the most well polished and less contrived, or clunky. I saw Dan's act at the World Greatest Magic Show earlier this year and he did some similar "mouthing" during the act (I don't remember hearing him talking, as there was quite a bit of music the act, so it may just be for misdirection), along with having the same costuming and makeup. I agree that his appearance is rather striking, but it seems to work with the dyed doves. Along with Dan Sperry, I enjoyed Kirby Vanburch and Jeff McBride.

Another high point was the kid, Kyle Eschen; his dryness played very well, but I agree with Richard that it was a tad long and maybe some of that time could have been better allocated to one of the professional performers.
Jared

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » November 28th, 2008, 1:25 pm

MaxNY;
The girl's "bottom" walking the table predates Rudy. I know it was used in Dante's show at one time. Lee Grabel may also have used it. Does Lance Burton include it? It's been several years since we went to his show and I do not remember seeing it at that performance.

The normal way to do it is having a "complete" woman come on rolling a serving cart. As she is walking, a large sword is quickly swung severing her body. An assistant carries off the "top" and the "bottom" keeps on walking with the table. No comments need to be made during this little event. It happens quickly without fanfare.

The table used by Hans was gross. It did not look like anything other than what it was - a big black box with a white stripe down the center. When made correctly, the table looks like a serving cart.

On this show it was very poorly done and there was no reason for the walking legs - same performance level as the masked idiot.

Several of the other items done by Hans were very well done - especially Aquarius. He and many of the other performers certainly have a higher energy level than I.
Jim

Terrence

Postby Terrence » November 28th, 2008, 3:58 pm

Kyle told me he writes his own material.

He has brought down the house at the last two Future Stars weeks at the Castle, and I think he's going somewhere -- very talented.

I thought the special was all around enjoyable -- though I do agree that it looked clipped in spots.

Manreb

Postby Manreb » November 28th, 2008, 5:33 pm

All in all in thought that the show was entertaining.

They should lose the opening sequence with the special effects, this gives the mind set that there are camera tricks to come.

The editing was terrible. long shots to show that there was an audiance, shots of the audience at the wrong time.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » November 28th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Manreb wrote:They should lose the opening sequence with the special effects, this gives the mind set that there are camera tricks to come.

The editing was terrible. long shots to show that there was an audiance, shots of the audience at the wrong time.

This is why I generally don't watch these sorts of shows. A thinking performer has perfected his material and knows what he is doing and how to present it. This material is taped by various cameras usually run by a director who has little to no experience with magic and often without a detailed camera rehearsal. Too often the director is in love with technique and peppers the show with swooping crane shots and other techniques seen as "artistic" which interferes with the purpose of the camera: clearly broadcasting to the home audience what the performer is doing on stage.

The resulting tape is then edited by the ignorant director, clipping out parts he doesn't think necessary, too often resulting in performers looking less than their best.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » November 28th, 2008, 10:27 pm

As usual I get corrected. OK, Dante was perhaps the first to offer a bod-less girl. The illusion needed more mis-direction. The base still needed a purpose.

Jack Turk

Postby Jack Turk » November 29th, 2008, 7:07 pm

I watched it with my 18 year old daughter and she
thought the kid was a scream. We both liked him a
lot.

My personal favorite was the young woman with the
semi-goth persona. I thought she did some really
interesting stuff: color changing lipstick, and
the spider web bit was very cool and totally in
keeping with her schtick.

I didn't find the amazing j. the least bit amusing.
The kid was Far Far Far funnier.

-J
"59 Ways to Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » November 30th, 2008, 2:27 am

I really enjoyed Dan Sperry's dove act. As Jared mentioned, Dan performed in the World's Greatest Magic Show in Las Vegas. He doesn't speak in his act, but he does a lot of mouthing. Both my wife and I found him very entertaining.

We also liked Kyle Eschen, who was hilarious. I can't wait to see what he can do in a few years.

Other than NPH, who was a much better emcee than Roger Moore was last year, I only recognized two of the celebrities. I think I saw them on TV in the 80s.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » November 30th, 2008, 12:23 pm

Yeah, the list of celebrity presenters was D list at best. Ernie Hudson? What's he done since Ghosbusters 2? Anyway, I finally got to see the first part of the show I missed when it aired. Dan was fantastic, Ed was so so and Florian was disappointing. He should have done his FISM act. My friends were asking, "If that guy with the birds is the Marilyn Manson of magic, who's this guy, Ashton Kutcher?"

LV720

Postby LV720 » December 3rd, 2008, 11:08 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I don't believe it was a camera trick per se. It appeared to me as if the white plane flying toward Franz was a miniature remote-controlled plane, and the red plane flying at right angles sort of pushed it out of the way or scooped it up. I know it sounds dopey, but that's what it looked like. Anyone Tivo it and watch it frame by frame?

Kind of like that promo video where there is a car in the foreground of the shot and the guys walks up closer to the camera and picks it up...huh.

Dave V

Postby Dave V » December 3rd, 2008, 7:09 pm

LV720 wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:I don't believe it was a camera trick per se. It appeared to me as if the white plane flying toward Franz was a miniature remote-controlled plane, and the red plane flying at right angles sort of pushed it out of the way or scooped it up. I know it sounds dopey, but that's what it looked like. Anyone Tivo it and watch it frame by frame?

Kind of like that promo video where there is a car in the foreground of the shot and the guys walks up closer to the camera and picks it up...huh.

I thought something similar until I noticed that the smoke trail, all of it, disappeared instantly after the red plane fly by.
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 3rd, 2008, 7:13 pm

Didn't sound like the regular music some of the performer's use. I understand there are sometimes copyright issues here, but why would a performer that had custom music have to change their normal tunes?

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » December 3rd, 2008, 7:41 pm

MaxNY wrote: As usual I get corrected. OK, Dante was perhaps the first to offer a bod-less girl. The illusion needed more mis-direction. The base still needed a purpose.

I couldn't agree more. That whole segment was my least favorite in the show. Not a surprise to anyone that listens to the podcast I am sure, but I didn't care for the airplane vanish either.

If, as Eddie Izzard says, "I like to end my show with a .. hmmm..." Well.. that's where I was left...

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 3rd, 2008, 7:48 pm

Is there a rebroadcast on the schedule?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Buzz”