Jumbo Card Switch

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Jumbo Card Switch

Postby 000 » November 17th, 2008, 7:04 am

Looking for recommendations for swapping a Jumbo card.
Thank you.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Jumbo Card Switch

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 17th, 2008, 10:34 am

Don't they make a Card Box (you know, with the flap inside) for Jumbo cards? It's not elegant, but it will work. You could also use a manilla envelope with a second compartment. In fact, you could have the second jumbo card behind an envelope, or large book, holding it with your left hand. Right hand picks up first jumbo card and brings it around the back of the book for a moment, then the right hand (still holding its card) grabs the right long side of the book, freeing the left hand to bring its jumbo card (previously hidden) into view. You'd need a damn good excuse, of course.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby 000 » November 17th, 2008, 10:43 am

Thanks Chief Genii.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 17th, 2008, 11:40 am

Here's an idea: you could have a Topit in your jacket--say it's on the left side. You have the jumbo card you want to switch in hanging from a clip just above the Topit. The card you want to switch out is in your right hand. Your sport jacket must be unbuttoned.

You turn to the RIGHT and extend your left hand to the right for some good reason that you'll have to figure out. The left side of your jacket will naturally swing open and, if you've been holding your right hand close to your body at center, shield your right hand. Drop the jumbo card into the Topit and pull the other one off the clip (this has to be figured out so the jacket doesn't "jump" when the card comes out of the clip). Now face forward and the card in your right hand will have been switched.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 17th, 2008, 2:39 pm

000 wrote:Looking for recommendations for swapping a Jumbo card.
Thank you.

What is the context for this - ie what is supposedly going on in the routine as far as your blocking, audience attention and your focus? Also what is the venue - closeup, parlor, stage - do you have an assistant?

There is a clever switch done using a card with cloth back which just happen to match the busy pattern on the table and other switches done under cover of picking up a prop like a tray ;)

context
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on November 17th, 2008, 3:12 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: questions, questions, questions

Postby 000 » November 17th, 2008, 11:10 pm

Jon
Context
Its for a variation I've come up with of Polly the Parrot,( also being marketed as Behind Bars) using a sports theme.( and Jumbo cards)

A Card of a gridiron pole is shown and put aside. 3 more cards are shown, 2 with poles, one with a ball. The ball disappears, and is shown to now be sailing through the pole of the previous (put away) card.

Im thinking of using a sand photo frame, calling it a television replay.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » November 18th, 2008, 12:55 am

Reads exactly like a packet trick. I'd stick with the moves and strategies normally employed in those effects. Most of them can be performed with jumbo cards.

Postby 000 » November 18th, 2008, 7:28 am

Its a stage effect actually.
I Dont want to simply 'turn' the put aside card in the end......rather swop it and end clean.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » November 19th, 2008, 12:29 am

Since you, in effect, have four cards, you might consider the Four Card Monte principle to accomplish the switch without need for apparatus... all in your hands. There's an example on my site in The Wizards' Journal #17 - "Four Card Monte Revisited" with some new moves for showing all sides of all cards, and something new called a "Surprise Count" invented by a 10 year old Wiz Kid after messing about with a Dutch Looper.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » November 23rd, 2008, 11:04 am

000 wrote:Its a stage effect actually.
I Dont want to simply 'turn' the put aside card in the end......rather swop it and end clean.

I'm not sure why you'd need to end clean for a stage effect.

Postby 000 » November 24th, 2008, 8:36 am

In case some wise guy screams 'turn it around'......[censored] happens.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » November 24th, 2008, 9:12 pm

If there's that much heat on the card by the end of the trick, I don't think a switch is going to help you.

I've used Ton Onosaka's Lucky Lady as a stand-up trick for many years. I get the gasp and applause at the end,and while people are clapping I toss the card in my briefcase and we move on. I don't recall anyone ever yelling, "Let me see the card."

I don't know the specifics of the routine you're working on, but I just don't think a switch is going to help. From the standpoint of conviction, the switch is going to happen at the wrong time.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”