Another Loss in Magic

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Scotto

Another Loss in Magic

Postby Scotto » November 6th, 2008, 6:41 pm

I'm sorry to report that former Board of Director of the AMA and good friend, Monte Smith passed away this morning.
Magically

Scotto

This email is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty, and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

David Thomas

Re: Another Loss in Magic

Postby David Thomas » November 6th, 2008, 6:53 pm

That's sad news. I've a friend that's not a magician and good friends with Monte, and he was planning on introducing me to him sometime soon. Really such a shame I never got the chance...my condolences to his family.

David

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 6th, 2008, 7:26 pm

Though not unexpected, this is still very sad news. Monte was a very nice guy. He was always upbeat and his enthusiasm was infectious.

My condolences to his family and many friends.

Dustin

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » November 6th, 2008, 9:35 pm

Oh no. That's really a shame. I always enjoyed the interactions we had when I was in town. Condolences to family and friends...

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Monte Smith

Postby Steve Bryant » November 12th, 2008, 8:59 am

I just noticed on Milt's most recent Lunch Gazette that longtime Castle regular and former Board of Directors member Monte Smith passed away, on November 6. Monte could generally be found at that little bar on the landing, and it was always a delight to pass time with him.

MartinKaplan

Re: Monte Smith

Postby MartinKaplan » November 12th, 2008, 6:28 pm

I am sorry that many of you never had the chance to know Monte Smith. In addition to being an excellent magician who frequently worked the Castle and who frequently could be found entertaining at the parties of the famous and near-famous in Hollywood, he was a true gentleman. One of the high points for me when visiting the Castle for Friday lunch was the knowledge that Monte would always see me making my way up the stairs and would always say, "How are you doing, kid?" Monte was also one of my mentors. When Friday lunch was over, he would always come over and ask, "Is there anything you want to go over?" Monte was always very honest in his evaluation of my technique and the occasional effect that I came up with. He was not brutally honest, he was just honest and I always respected his opinion because he was a working magician who understood the reality of performing for others on a regular basis. I always used to joke with Monte and tell him that his act had made me famous in Spain. I was only half joking, because a number of the effects that I do came directly from Monte or include his suggestions. It was Monte who introduced me to Dean Dill. Monte probably was Dean Dill's best friend. They shared many interest beyond magic. Music was one of them. Many of you probably do not know that Dean is a very talented, self-taught guitarist. If there had been no Monte Smith, Dean Dill would have never appeared on the Johnny Carson show. Dean was going to beg off performing on the show, and it was Monte who sat him down and convinced him to do it. I also was fortunate to spend many an afternoon at Dean's with Monte and his good friend, Peter Mui.

My life will be less full because Monte is not in it. Magic has lost one of the good guys.

-Marty

Return to “Buzz”