ELLEN DEGENERES LOVES MAGIC

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

ELLEN DEGENERES LOVES MAGIC

Postby Magic Newswire » November 11th, 2008, 9:51 pm

At least is seems that she must judging by the number of magic acts she's had on her show. Most recently, she featured Keith Barry and now it will be Hans Klok.

"Ellen's Even Bigger Really Big Show" will be taped at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace on Nov 20th and will air on the 29th on TBS. The show features acts "Hand Picked" by Ellen including Hans Klok. MORE INFO

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: ELLEN DEGENERES LOVES MAGIC

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 11th, 2008, 10:22 pm

Why does she have to pick a no-personality schmo like Hans Klock?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » November 11th, 2008, 10:38 pm

Limited budget?

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 11th, 2008, 10:39 pm

Birds of a feather?
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » November 11th, 2008, 11:25 pm

She likes his hair?

Pepka

Postby Pepka » November 13th, 2008, 1:12 am

Yeah, why him? Can someone please get her Mac's number?

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » November 13th, 2008, 10:24 am

Forget the idea of a meritocracy with the "best" or "most talented" or "most deserving" getting camera time on this or any other program.

These deals come about via relationships with production companies, agents, etc. Sometimes a fee is paid as the appearance is seen as a network commercial. The "merit" of an act went the way of the Dodo when Ed Sullivan went off the air.

Think of the modern department store with all those displays of women's cosmetics from various manufacturers. Those are almost all concessions, paid for by the cosmetic companies with the department store charging a fee and a percentage of sales.

Television networks and producers are keenly aware of this and are acting accordingly.

Rafael

Postby Rafael » November 13th, 2008, 7:51 pm

It always amuses me how 'colleagues' make up their own stories about the succes of other magicians.

The reason Hans Klok was asked for this show was because he gave a outstanding performance a couple of weeks ago on the Ellen show (which will air soon)Both Ellen and the producers where so impressed that they asked him to perform on "Ellen's Even Bigger Really Big Show"

Concerning the budget: he gets top money + 9 flight tickets from Amsterdam to Vegas + hotel rooms.(they also pay for the shipping of all his illusions which cost more than $ 20,000 - so there goes the limited budget theory ;-) )

While not everybody likes his style but you can't deny that his fast, energetic performance is perfect for tv and that's what they're looking for on a show like this.

I think it's great that they even want magic on Tv with all the exposure going on, the negative reaction on beLieve and the disappointing finale of the David Blaine special.
I feel we should be happy with the airtime given to a fellow performer.
I don't care if it's Hans or Mac,or Kevin or Nathan, or Lance as long as it's someone who promotes the art of magic in a good, funny, original or spectaculair way.

Ps: Hans klok is also a really nice guy and one of the biggest promotors of magic in Europe: his shows in Holland are always sold out, he gave a very succesfull tour in Germany (arena's with 3000-5000 people), he does a lot of TV work and thanks to his succes a lot of magicians are getting more work...

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » November 13th, 2008, 8:39 pm

Point well made.
The MacGician®

Timothy Drake

Postby Timothy Drake » November 13th, 2008, 8:52 pm

Rafael wrote:Concerning the budget: he gets top money + 9 flight tickets from Amsterdam to Vegas + hotel rooms.(they also pay for the shipping of all his illusions which cost more than $ 20,000 - so there goes the limited budget theory ;-) )

While not everybody likes his style but you can't deny that his fast, energetic performance is perfect for tv and that's what they're looking for on a show like this.

I think it's great that they even want magic on Tv with all the exposure going on, the negative reaction on beLieve and the disappointing finale of the David Blaine special.

Thanks Rafael for the inside scoop. Can you tell us which illusions Hans will perform on the show?

BTW.. I had a chance to catch his show in Vegas last year about this time and enjoyed it. I'm a sentimentalist and my favorite part was watching the master do his signature spiker illusion.

Best,

Tim

Cugel

Postby Cugel » November 14th, 2008, 4:12 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Why does she have to pick a no-personality schmo like Hans Klock?

Ouch!

Return to “Buzz”