Henning Nelms' routine for the cups and balls

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Suresh

Henning Nelms' routine for the cups and balls

Postby Suresh » November 6th, 2008, 10:46 pm

Hello,

Henning Nelms has written the following about a routine for cups and balls: "I devised an original, highly entertaining, impromptu, cup-and-ball routine. As manipulative conjuring is far from my field, I asked Bill [William Adamson] to work out the required moves. After spending hours in research and experiment, he reported that the routine had built-in flaws which only the most expert manipulator could overcome. This verdict forced me to abandon the routine." (Quote from page x of Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms.)

Any idea what this routine was?

Thanks.

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Henning Nelms' routine for the cups and balls

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 7th, 2008, 9:21 am

Suresh wrote:Hello,

Henning Nelms has written the following about a routine for cups and balls: "I devised an original, highly entertaining, impromptu, cup-and-ball routine. As manipulative conjuring is far from my field, I asked Bill [William Adamson] to work out the required moves. After spending hours in research and experiment, he reported that the routine had built-in flaws which only the most expert manipulator could overcome. This verdict forced me to abandon the routine." (Quote from page x of Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms.)

Any idea what this routine was?

Thanks.

I second that request - is there a copy of the script and basic structure of the "effect" around? We may have advanced enough since then to realize his intended routine into practical performance. :)

Return to “Reference Room”