New Copperfield TV Special

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Timothy Drake

New Copperfield TV Special

Postby Timothy Drake » November 3rd, 2008, 5:59 pm

You clicked here so you must be interested in the possibility of a new David Copperfield TV Special. It's a fact David has several totally new illusions he has tested out in out of country tours. Combined with the fact that magic on television is currently in such a sad state wouldn't it be a good idea to have Copperfield return to network television?

If interested please read and sign this petition encouraging him to produce another special.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dcopperfield/

Best Regards,

Timothy Drake

mrgoat

Re: New Copperfield TV Special

Postby mrgoat » November 3rd, 2008, 6:44 pm

Oh dear.

Timothy Drake

Postby Timothy Drake » November 3rd, 2008, 6:49 pm

mrgoat wrote:Oh dear.

Hello mrgoat,

Care to elaborate? I'm not wearing my Karnac hat and thus require verbal input to understand your post.

Best,

Tim

Paul Q

Postby Paul Q » November 3rd, 2008, 6:57 pm

I for one would love to see David back on TV.

So I did my duty.

Timothy Drake

Postby Timothy Drake » November 3rd, 2008, 7:02 pm

Paul Q wrote:I for one would love to see David back on TV.

So I did my duty.

Thanks Paul.

Elliot Gorton

Postby Elliot Gorton » November 3rd, 2008, 8:03 pm

What's wrong with showing support for DC?
You Go Boy!
www.savetheinternet.com
www.myspace.com/elliotgorton
http://twitter.com/elliotmagic

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » November 3rd, 2008, 10:02 pm

DC IS THE MAN AND IS NEEDED ON TV. Dont feel bad for showing your david support I was crucified and called a dumb child on this board for the same thing.

Timothy Drake

Postby Timothy Drake » November 3rd, 2008, 10:16 pm

Thanks Chris,

You support is appreciated. You make a good point regards some who might have a different opinion on DC specials. I'd love to hear some of their viewpoints.

I invite all comments.. pro and con. I can't imagine what reasons anyone would have against more DC specials but would like to hear them if anyone has them. Would they prefer another Dive of Death or " We've never met before...right" Camera tricks?

Best,

Tim

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 3rd, 2008, 10:32 pm

David Copperfield engaged in a bit of "hidden" editing long ago--before anyone else was doing it. Everyone remembers that levitation where the woman floated up, then out over the audience. A combination of two different methods edited together. Go back and watch the special: the audience members change from shot to shot.
I like Copperfield's work immensely: he's a great stage magician and I, too, wish he would do more TV specials. However, to imply that he's never used creative editing or other benefits of the medium that could be interpreted by some as camera tricks is simply not true.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Timothy Drake

Postby Timothy Drake » November 3rd, 2008, 11:00 pm

Hi Richard,

I'm never implied that Copperfield never used camera edits. If I remember it correct he was criticized for the stuff he did do via camera edits much like Angel is today. I'd say that's a far cry from the hollywood, staged, acted, edited, GCI'd effects that pass for magic on television these days. It used to be 90% live and 10 % camera ( don't see a problem with a bit of edits for television) but these days its 90% camera acting and 10 % live magic.

Magic has become a series of WWF ( or WWE) skits. How much longer will it be until all magic on television is seen in the same light?

The petition is simply a request to bring some quality magic back to television. Wouldn't be nice of we could go back to the days when you'd hear somebody say what Jack Klugman says at 20 seconds into this video.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... j4Dw&hl=en

Best,

Tim
Last edited by Timothy Drake on November 3rd, 2008, 11:19 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: added video link

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » November 4th, 2008, 8:08 am

I was there for one of the four days of filming used to put together the Tornado of Fire special. Trust me... there's editing. ;-)

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 4th, 2008, 8:18 am

Magic Newswire wrote:I was there for one of the four days of filming used to put together the Tornado of Fire special. Trust me... there's editing. ;-)

That should help you with your next interview with DC.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 4th, 2008, 8:26 am

Usually better to start where such things begin. How were his earlier TV specials set up and sponsored? Kraft?

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » November 4th, 2008, 8:51 am

It is my understanding that when the Clorox Company was sponsoring the show they handed DC $1 million. I was also told that it was not unusual for DC to put more into the show since it was, in essence, a nationally-televised commercial for his touring show.

DC used editing to produce a segment that was a music video with Bonnie Raitt singing and DC supposedly floating across the Grand Canyon. There were several other instances where the illusion presented could only have been done on television.

Blaine took the idea further with clever edits - think the Balducci Levitation done for one group for reaction shots and a harness used for the insert suggesting that was what the audience was seeing and reacting to - and Criss took it to full fruition with special effects passing as magic with paid actors as audience and endless edits to accomplish his effects.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » November 4th, 2008, 9:09 am

d
Last edited by CHRIS on November 4th, 2008, 12:10 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: c

Timothy Drake

Postby Timothy Drake » November 4th, 2008, 9:32 am

David was once quoted that every time he does a television special he is providing a blueprint for every copycat magician out there watching. If an effect is tweaked to prevent repeat viewing over and over and learning the secret ( on these days YouTube exposure) then I don't have a problem with that. BUT.... can that illusion be done LIVE. In Davids case the answer is YES.

We have all recently found out what happens when you build a magic career on illusions you can't perform live. What happens? Someone puts $85 million dollars into your show and your camera trick believing audience turns on you because they expected something else.. something that can't be done live.

There's nothing like 2000 people in a theatre watching a show along with the television cameras to let the viewer at home know they are seeing a live performance and not camera tricks. This is why I think the time is right for another Copperfield Special very soon.

Best,

Tim

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 4th, 2008, 9:42 am

There is no upside for Copperfield to do another TV show. What does he have to gain, how could it help him, etc. IMHO you're not going to see DC do another magic special. On the red carpet, award show yes.
Please visit my website.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 4th, 2008, 9:50 am

Nothing against movie magic here - for movies. Seems kind of silly to use film editing to lead the home audience in reacting to the performance when that's the job of the performer.

I'm sure we have better things to think about today than how to ask DC nicely if he'd be up for more TV specials.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Gord

Postby Gord » November 4th, 2008, 10:00 am

I remember the first time I saw Copperfield's "Flying" after I had seen the TV special. I was very disappointed that he didn't fly out over the audience. I understand now that it isn't possible, but still ...
As for a new Copperfield TV special, I'm all for it and I don't doubt Copperfield would be, but the big question is are the TV execs?

Gord

Timothy Drake

Postby Timothy Drake » November 4th, 2008, 10:07 am

Hello Kevin,

I can see lots of upsides for David to do another show but I can't see ANY downside of another special. How can he loose to be in the public eye again? Many people have asked my what ever happened to him and why doesn't he tour any more. They were surprised to learn he is in fact touring. A TV Special would show he's around and not going any place soon.

He'd also be exposed to a new generation of fans. At a recent Magic Convention David made an appearance via telephone and got a great reaction from the assembled crowd when they recognized his voice. After the show a young teenage magician was over heard asking " Who is David Copperfield?"

Now that IS sad. LOL

Jonathan my friend... You are correct! Today there is a more important duty for all Americans and I wish you the best in making your decision. Choose wisely.

BUT since you brought up politics...... If you were really unhappy with the current state of local government and you knew someone who could make a positive difference if elected wouldn't you ask him if he'd consider running for that local office? Well... thats all we are doing here... we're asking someone ( with a proven track record) who can make a difference to consider making that difference.

Best,

Tim

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » November 4th, 2008, 10:29 am

\
Last edited by CHRIS on November 4th, 2008, 12:09 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: d

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 4th, 2008, 10:35 am

Allow me to expand on my "oh dear" post.

a) Oh dear, someone thinks an online petition will acheive anything
b) Oh dear, someone thinks Copperfield is interested in doing TV
c) Oh dear, someone thinks Copperfield is the best qualified illusionist in the world to do a magic show on the TV

and now

d) Oh dear, 3 pages about a silly petition

Hope that is clearer now.

Damian

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 4th, 2008, 10:39 am

Brad Pitt is a perfect example. He's spending more time on buying children and avoiding cameras till he needs them than making films. Do you hear more about his film career or his personal life now?

With DC making 50-60 million a year for at least the last 10-15 years, does he need TV? No. If you guys had his life, collections, connections, money etc., would you be farting around looking for TV special? He's been there, done that.
Please visit my website.

Timothy Drake

Postby Timothy Drake » November 4th, 2008, 10:57 am

mrgoat wrote:Allow me to expand on my "oh dear" post.

c) Oh dear, someone thinks Copperfield is the best qualified illusionist in the world to do a magic show on the TV

and now

Hope that is clearer now.

Damian

Hey Damian,

Thanks for the clarification. Please allow me to address each point.

Well... so far 218 people think an online petition may achieve soemthing. There are some recognized respected names in magic on that list. Several of them are close personal friends of Davids and if they bothered to jump on board I feel its worth continuing as they do obviously. Some people have posted Anonymous but I ( as the petition moderator) get to see their real names ( only because they chose to use their real names and email addresses) Some of those Anonymous names are well known performers in magic who want to express their concern as well but publicly want to remain anonymous.

He IS. I've never met the man but I do know many in his circle. He is fence sitting at the moment. He's got at least 8 totally new illusions ready to go that will someday ( I have no idea when) be added to his show. He's been hearing the " time to return to tv" thing from others for a while now and the possibilities are being considered. If that is not the case then I ask someone from his team to make a public statement to the contrary.

The petition is simply a way for those who want to add their voice to do so in the hopes that we can push him off that fence. I'm not expecting it to change the world or anything.

As I mentioned in the petition I think Copperfield is he best qualified to do so. Would you care to suggest another??? Who is better qualified? Better know? Has a history of very successful tv specials in his portfolio? What other name would generate Buzz by simply announcing a return to network televsion. Please Damian tell us who that would be.

Hmmmm..... seems like there is interest in this topic after all.

Best,

Tim
Last edited by Timothy Drake on November 4th, 2008, 10:58 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: added link

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » November 4th, 2008, 11:02 am

There's a huge downside to DC doing TV again. It's a totally different era than the last time he was on TV.

A far more critical, damning, slamming, reviews on the internet without mercy era.

This is not the era his last TV special was shown in.
I don't think it would give him anything but grief.

I just saw him live days ago, and I have to question whether the drive and energy is there to do anything more than exactly what he's doing right now.

(Aside: His show was hot and cold. Brilliant stage presence and storytelling ability for "The Lottery", and moments later a somewhat disinterested DC being difficult to understand as he mumbled into his mic. My thoughts at some points in the show were "this is a very complex man, why is he up there?")

I think DC is in his element right now.
.........He's "The "Worlds Greatest Touring Illusionist",.... not an easy title to achieve.

He wears that hat well, is successful beyond belief, and with absolutely no monetary, personal, or career based reason to do another TV special.

LV720

Postby LV720 » November 4th, 2008, 11:03 am

Point of interest...
I was at the Magic Castle this weekend and saw Andrew Goldenhersch (GREAT ACT!) Anyway in his intro, it was said that "...has just finished working for a working with David Copperfield on his next T.V. special..."

So I clicked on this post thinking it was for details! Very exciting though...I long for those days!

Timothy Drake

Postby Timothy Drake » November 4th, 2008, 11:12 am

Roger M. wrote:There's a huge downside to DC doing TV again. It's a totally different era than the last time he was on TV.

A far more critical, damning, slamming, reviews on the internet without mercy era.

This is not the era his last TV special was shown in.
I don't think it would give him anything but grief.

I'll have to disagree Roger,

That critical audience you mention is the one buying into the camera tricks these days. LOL As well Copperfields past tv special videos can be found all over YouTube along with glowing remarks and comments from viewers.

If you are suggesting that Copperfield is not up to todays audience that has been entertained with Camera Tricks over the past few years than that is all the more reason to revert back to actual magic in front of a live audience.

Best,

Tim

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 4th, 2008, 11:15 am

Timothy Drake wrote:
Hey Damian,

Thanks for the clarification. Please allow me to address each point.

Well... so far 218 people think an online petition may achieve soemthing. There are some recognized respected names in magic on that list. Several of them are close personal friends of Davids and if they bothered to jump on board I feel its worth continuing as they do obviously. Some people have posted Anonymous but I ( as the petition moderator) get to see their real names ( only because they chose to use their real names and email addresses) Some of those Anonymous names are well known performers in magic who want to express their concern as well but publicly want to remain anonymous.

Great. 218 people, some you claim are famous (yet for some reason chose to post anonymously) have signed your form.

Sorry, express their CONCERN? About what? Are you now saying you have dozen of famous magicians saying they are concerned about Copperfield?

Timothy Drake wrote:

He IS. I've never met the man but I do know many in his circle. If that is not the case then I ask someone from his team to make a public statement to the contrary.

Right, so the only way to disprove your thoughts that Copperfield wants to do TV is if someone from his team comes to this forum and posts saying so?

Come on...

Look, if Copperfield wanted to do TV and TV wanted him, it would be a done deal. A petition with 218 names on will not sway matters one way or the other. Really.

Timothy Drake wrote:The petition is simply a way for those who want to add their voice to do so in the hopes that we can push him off that fence. I'm not expecting it to change the world or anything.

No one suggested you were thinking it would change the world as far as I can tell?

Timothy Drake wrote:c) Oh dear, someone thinks Copperfield is the best qualified illusionist in the world to do a magic show on the TV

As I mentioned in the petition I think Copperfield is he best qualified to do so. Would you care to suggest another??? Who is better qualified? Better know? Has a history of very successful tv specials in his portfolio? What other name would generate Buzz by simply announcing a return to network televsion. Please Damian tell us who that would be.

Almost anyone. Copperfield is cheesy. His style is rather 80s. He has no place on TV. I saw his Vegas show last year. Looks like his last TV special. Old.

I think TV needs new stars, and new ideas. Not recycled 80s cheese.

Clearly, you are a massive fan, and I would defend to the death your right to enjoy his work. But I assure you that (outside the magic world) there would be no "buzz" about his return to TV.

Timothy Drake wrote:

Hmmmm..... seems like there is interest in this topic after all.

Interest in pointing out your errors about camera tricks possibly...

:)

I am all for someone trying to acheive what they want. You want to see Copperfield back on TV. You think he might want to do TV.

I'd imagine, as many others have put here, that he has no interest in TV and makes more than enough money with his Vegas show. I can see little point at this stage in his career going backwards.

Good luck to you, I hope you get what you want. But I doubt a petition with a couple of hundred names on it, or even a couple of thousand, will help you acheive that goal.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 4th, 2008, 11:15 am

David does TV specials to put butts in seats for his live show.

The TV specials cost him more to produce than the network pays him.

The TV specials are stressful and difficult to make.

If people are still buying tickets to his live shows, then he doesn't need to make more TV specials. It's very simple.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 4th, 2008, 11:18 am

How many visited and didn't vote?

You know this is how Star Trek conventions started. :)
Please visit my website.

Timothy Drake

Postby Timothy Drake » November 4th, 2008, 11:29 am

LOL!

All this fuss over a petition? I never expected a debate. Its not about if he can, or wants to, or can't or doesn't have to.

It's all VERY simple. If you'd like there to be another Copperfield special then sign it. If you don't then don't sign it. If you don't have an opinion then don't sign it. If you are happy with the state of magic on tv today then don't sign it. Now wasn't that easy?

You know what's funny? All the people who didn't have the time to add their name or thought it was silly... would surely be watching a new tv special if it did happen.

Best,

Tim

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 4th, 2008, 11:32 am

Timothy Drake wrote:LOL!

All this fuss over a petition? I never expected a debate.

Excellent defence and great rebuttal of the points put to you.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 4th, 2008, 11:36 am

Just file it next to the petition to restore the monarchy.

Timothy Drake

Postby Timothy Drake » November 4th, 2008, 11:38 am

mrgoat wrote:
Timothy Drake wrote:LOL!

All this fuss over a petition? I never expected a debate.

Excellent defence and great rebuttal of the points put to you.

Damian,

Thank you! I could play your little troll game and counter each and every silly rant you can come up with but instead I'll stick with the original idea of the petition.

Agree.... sign. Disagree... don't sign. What part of that don't you understand?

Best,

Tim

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 4th, 2008, 11:53 am

I don't think anyone is making a fuss over the petition. It's just the thought of someone taking the time to put it up is what we are having fun with. You want to be magic's DC Trekkie, go ahead.
Please visit my website.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 4th, 2008, 11:59 am

Timothy Drake wrote:Damian,

Thank you! I could play your little troll game and counter each and every silly rant you can come up with but instead I'll stick with the original idea of the petition.

Please don't accuse me of trolling you. Do you know what that even means?

"Someone who gets pleasure by typing annoying/controversial/offensive words at strangers on internet forums, for them to read."

I am typing nothing offensive or controversial. I may be annoying you personally with my well thought out factual points and questions you refuse to answer. But it ain't trolling.

I am merely trying to point out your folly.

And, frankly, you couldn't come back to the points I made, or you would have. That is how people usually debate things isn't it? Sorry that you don't have a reposnse to the points and your way of dealing with that is to run away. That's cool. You are more than entitled to do that.

All the best with it.

Damian

PS Do post when you have acheived your goal of getting Copperfield back on telly. Then you can laugh at me and RK and the others for being so stupid in suggesting you are wasting your time.

Timothy Drake

Postby Timothy Drake » November 4th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Hi Kevin,

Well you make a good point and I thank you for clarifying it for me. I can't fault you for your thoughts as I might have the same for similar petitions. I should point out though that I am not some starry eyed kid, Copperfield fan hoping for a Disney Ending to this petition.

I had disagreed with David Copperfield many times in the past and made no bones about expressing that in other forums. I don't know him, never met him .. haven't seen a live show of his in a long time.

I have seen the sad state of magic on television over the past few years and it is for that reason that I made a statement with the petition. Think of it as my own private forum where those who share my belief that television magic needs fixing can add their name.

As mentioned earlier... I understand that some may see the petition as a vain attempt but I really don't care. I felt it had to be said and I said it in petition form. Magic stinks for the most part on television today and I did SOMETHING in the hopes of fixing it.( not much but something) A million to one? Maybe so... but I didn't just sit back and whine about it... I did something. If nothing comes of it other than me standing up and saying " The emperor has no clothes" then thats ok as well. BUT.... " the emporor really has NO clothes"

Best,

Tim

Timothy Drake

Postby Timothy Drake » November 4th, 2008, 12:15 pm

Damian,

I'm more than willing to debate things. Yes I now what trolling means and when someone posts " Oh Dear" thats trolling. LOL

I have a life and have to leave the computer now but will be happy to civilly debate this( if you can stick to the points as well) when I return. I'll address each point you made. In the meantime can you first answer my question to you. You said Copperfield was not the best to do this. I asked you WHO was then and you didn't answer.

I look forward to that answer when I return and I will be happy to answer yours then. I just don't want to get into one of those silly " I quote you then you quote me quoting you quoting me " sort of things. I have neither the time nor the inclination to do that.

Best,

Tim

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 4th, 2008, 12:18 pm

If you want it like a Disney movie, usually someone dies to first get you depressed. Sort like this idea of yours.

Why don't you go to Vegas, see the show and get his autograph. I can't do it with my hero, he refuses to sign anymore. So you're lucky.
Please visit my website.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 4th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Timothy, magic is fine in the movies, TV and literature. As to there being a public interest in our little subset of magical entertainment suitable for display on TV... maybe.

Harry Potter is going to be facing down his teacher Snape this summer - as he's busy doing Equus on Brodway with Mr. Durnley this fall.

Wait - some may whine - that's mixing levels of story between what's in books, Broadway stage, Movies/TV and ... ah but that's exactly our craft and it has to exist in some story frame or else.

BTW when emporer is seen wandering naked in the streets it's pretty clear that they are no longer fully in control of themselves much less the empire.

So - Whether or not our craft of wonders makes sense to show via the mass media or not is one question. Whether we can even compete for basic story/interest with what is offered by the mass media is another question.

If DC and corporate sponsors are up for it (which has IMHO nothing to do with our little community) I'd enjoy seeing another TV special. Cheese or not - for me they're easier watching than most of what's on TV.

Return to “Buzz”