DelGaudio Shuffle

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

DelGaudio Shuffle

Postby Matthew Field » October 4th, 2008, 5:27 am

Forgive my ignorance if this has been discussed previously, but I was quite taken with Derek DelGaudio's False Shuffle and had a thought.

The shuffle, as taught, cuts the deck. But if you start with the deck in the left hand and undercut two-thirds to the right, then proceed with the shuffle as written, I think it's a full deck control.

Comments?

I met Derek, along with Jason England and John Lovick, at The Magic Circle's post-IBM British Ring evening, along with my friend Jon Armstrong. Also saw Bill Herz.

Matt Field

Sebastien L.

Re: DelGaudio Shuffle

Postby Sebastien L. » October 4th, 2008, 7:54 am

I've had the same thought. You can also simply reverse the size of the packets, that is to riffle off from the right as described but riffle 2 thirds instead of 1, and then execute the shuffle as described, but mirrored. The left hand must do the work and that may not be so good for some.

But I did discover some interesting properties of the shuffle exactly as described. A riffle followed by a cut is standard in many card games. Play around with different ways of marking the cut, maybe even with not marking it at all...

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 4th, 2008, 12:00 pm

Derek is aware of that. Like Sebastien, I riffle off 2/3s into the left and mirror image it. (if you can call what I do, doing it).

For the record, The official name of the shuffle is "The Truffle Shuffle."

Matt: I popped into the Circle just after the gang left. Wish I had crossed your path.

B

DAN&DAVE

Postby DAN&DAVE » October 6th, 2008, 1:42 pm

The real work on the Truffle Shuffle can be seen here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D_UsDrreJeo

Okay, all jokes aside. This week we will post the Truffle Shuffle to our On Demand section at: http://store.dananddave.com/on-demand/ with full on instruction by Derek DelGaudio that will include several alternate methods, tips, and finesses that were overlooked in the text, including those stated above.

Cheers,
dan

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 6th, 2008, 5:33 pm

We published the information given to us.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 7th, 2008, 6:20 am

Brad Henderson wrote:Matt: I popped into the Circle just after the gang left. Wish I had crossed your path.

Sorry I missed you, Brad. And sorry I missed the card guys at Eastbourne.

Matt Field

DAN&DAVE

Postby DAN&DAVE » October 7th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Cugel

Postby Cugel » October 7th, 2008, 9:14 pm

I have to say, that looks fantastic. I don't see how you could fault it.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 7th, 2008, 10:19 pm

It's very difficult to do.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » October 7th, 2008, 10:41 pm

LOL. Well I suppose that's a negative for those who don't master it and a positive for those who do.

First time in a long while I've been inspired to learn something new.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 7th, 2008, 11:32 pm

Since it cuts the deck, does this shuffle have a built in way to maintain the step needed to cut after the shuffle to restore the deck order?

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » October 7th, 2008, 11:59 pm

I apologize if I sound ignorant, but isn't this too similar to the Hein shuffle? It looks great, not debating that. I'm just wondering what the differences are without criticism (if it is possible to quickly tell without going into a long explanation of the techniques).

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » October 8th, 2008, 1:16 am

This shuffle is new thinking applied to classic ideas. It has ancestors, but this is the highest and the best there has ever been.

This has less in common with the "Hein" shuffle than it does with a real, in the hands riffle shuffle weave and closing cascade.

The only thing harder to understand than why everyone isn't running out to get their hands on the real information at the Buck's website is why DDG shared it with the world in the first place.

Too hard to learn? Yeah, that's the problem with actually learning to do the impossible, it takes a little time and effort.

John Lovick

Postby John Lovick » October 8th, 2008, 1:17 am

The shuffle does have a way to maintain a step, so you can cut back to the original order; in fact the step happens almost automatically after the cascade.

There are several alternative ways to get back to the original order, as some have figured out and mentioned earlier in this thread. Derek has experimented with ALL of these, and discusses the various options in his video explanation on Dan & Dave's site. However, Derek happens to like the fact that the deck is cut in his shuffle -- the bottom card changes with every shuffle, which enhances the deceptiveness.

As to the differences between this and Karl Hein's shuffle (and all other in-the-hands false riffle/cascade shuffles): In the Truffle Shuffle, the springing/cascade begins while the halves are still interlaced. In all other shuffles of this type, the cards are unwoven and then the springing happens. There are other differences to Hein's shuffle, as well -- the outer corner is interlaced instead of the inner corner, no cover card, etc.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » October 8th, 2008, 1:18 am

Bill Duncan wrote:Since it cuts the deck, does this shuffle have a built in way to maintain the step needed to cut after the shuffle to restore the deck order?

Use your favourite method.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 8th, 2008, 2:33 am

Thanks John, that helps.

Cugel,
My current 'favorite method' is Ben Earl's Grey Shuffle, so I'm not really seeing a reason to switch, at this point.

I'm not familiar with the method of the Hein shuffle, and was under the impression it used a Zarrow dynamic, but in the hands.

John Lovick

Postby John Lovick » October 8th, 2008, 11:46 am

The Truffle shuffle is very similar to Ben Earl's Grey Shuffle. If you can do that, you could very easily pick up the Truffle.

And, yes, I believe the Hein shuffle uses a Zarrow dynamic.

Yves Tourigny

Postby Yves Tourigny » October 8th, 2008, 11:47 am

The Heinstein Shuffle is the nearest in my opinion of the Zarrow shuffle done in the hands in terms of mechanics. The Grey Shuffle and the Truffle Shuffle are very similar mechanic wise. The great difference is That DDG begin the cascade as the cards are still interwoven and the desengagement (is this a word?) is done during the cascade. Hope this make sense. I urge you to go to the Dan and Dave website to see a demo of the Truffle Shuffle. It is a thing of beauty.

Yves

Yves Tourigny

Postby Yves Tourigny » October 8th, 2008, 11:49 am

John you beat me to it!!! :D

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » October 8th, 2008, 2:34 pm

John, thanks for the clarification. At this time I am swamped with things to do (this being one of my breaks), but I am definitely getting this from D&D on video...this is the kind of move I have to see instead of read I think. It sounds like this shuffle is more versatile as well, so it should be a great tool to add.

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » October 8th, 2008, 7:07 pm

That is really really nice. I don't perform any in the hands shuffles other than faro shuffles but that's almost too good not to learn. Nice.
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

Tyler Wilson

Postby Tyler Wilson » October 15th, 2008, 1:16 am

Derek's shuffle is fantastic. Thanks to Richard and the crew for finally getting it in print. In Derek's hands, it looks shockingly fluid and deceptive. And it's got the best name for a shuffle in years (maybe ever).

Tyler Wilson

Cohiba

Postby Cohiba » October 20th, 2008, 7:19 pm

The Delgaudio Shuffle is a lot different from the Heinstein Shuffle. It looks (based on video clips only) to be almost identical to the Grey shuffle.

I also didn't feel that the shuffle was that difficult, at least comparatively. It will take some work to get it smooth, but it so far it seems a lot easier to learn than the Heinstein.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 20th, 2008, 7:37 pm

Heinstein is a Zarrow type shuffle: it has a cover card (or cards). Delgaudio's Truffle Shuffle has no cover card: like the shuffle out of Erdnase, the top is cut to the side and then goes back on top.

Derek DelGaudio

Postby Derek DelGaudio » October 21st, 2008, 4:32 am

Hey, guys!

I just wanted to give a bit of background and info on the shuffle.

Several years ago I went to Las Vegas and was shown an amazing shuffle by Steve Forte. Later that night I went over to Dan and Daves house and, while showing them the shuffle, I discovered you could add a cascade to it.

I showed it to guys I trust like Chris Kenner, Jason England, Michael Weber, Eric Mead, Bill Malone, Steve Forte, John Lovick, David Williamson, Mike Close, Brad Henderson, Bob Kohler, Steve Freeman, Gary Plants, and Ricky Jay. There went any chance of a secret, but it was a good little secret while it lasted.

To be honest, I never intended to publish it (publishing has not been for me), however, it was already beginning to spread. Still, I struggled with the idea of putting it out and, if so, where. Then at Magic Live 2007, I agreed to give it to Richard Kaufman/Genii. The publishing business being what it is, it came out 14 months later.

It was about that time I started to hear a whisper of the name Ben Earl and his shuffle. I heard from a friend that I had to meet Ben and see his work. Then in December 07, Bens Past Midnight came out. Now I didnt even have to meet him.

I saw Bens Past Midnight dvds and thought they were great. Of course, I was surprised to see how similar his Grey Shuffle is to mine. I then had the good fortune of meeting and becoming friends with him. I can honestly say that Ben is one of the most talented card magicians I have ever met. He is technically superlative, his thinking is great and his taste is impeccable. If you havent bought Past Midnight, you should.

If youre really interested in learning an in-the-hands false riffle shuffle, you have many options. Personally, I believe you should experiment with several of them until you find one that suits your hands (and your needs) the best. Try them all. Guy Hollingworth, Ron Wohl, Hank Miller, Ben Earl and Karl Hein have all come up with shuffles worthy of your attention.

Its all a matter of taste.

After seeing Bens shuffle on Past Midnight, and knowing mine had already been submitted to Genii, I was concerned that people would think that I had merely copied Bens basic idea and begun the springing action a fraction of a second earlier. However, all of the cardmen who had seen my shuffle in its early days can attest that I was doing it long before meeting Ben or seeing his dvd set. In fact, there are posts on at least one internet magic board that references my shuffle well before the Past Midnight set was released. In the end, the two shuffles are indeed similar, but were created completely independently of one another.

Dan and Dave asked me to do a streaming video with them on the shuffle. They are dear friends and have done so much for me in the past, I couldn't say no. We shot the video several months ago. While putting it together I looked at the credits in Genii and didn't check to see if they were all accurate. So, the Grey Shuffle was credited as the Psychological Shuffle. I learned of this mistake from Ben himself in England last month where he gave me several lashings. However, the error has been correct and will be changed on the video within the next few days.

I hope you found some of the above info useful and I hope the shuffle finds a good home in many of your hands.

All the best,

Derek

Cugel

Postby Cugel » October 21st, 2008, 6:45 am

Well, it's a beotch to learn from the Genii write up. I need to go buy some new cards. Sure looked great when a kid called Yeo showed it to me recently, though. I believe you taught it to him? it's a great move, man.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 21st, 2008, 10:23 am

It's a bitch to learn PERIOD. Hard move.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 22nd, 2008, 12:03 am

Having spent several months working on the Earl Grey shuffle I have to say that Derek's is a bit easier. Plus the "base" that get's squirted while the rest or the pack is interlaced is a VERY nice addition.

I find I can do the Truffle Shuffle right handed (I'm left handed) almost consistently after a week of playing with it. My hope is to be able to do it both left and right handed, as I think alternating them will reduce the "tell" that both shuffles have.

trebmalrolyat

Postby trebmalrolyat » October 25th, 2008, 9:40 am

I think the DelGaudio Shuffle is quite easy to do, or maybe that's just me.

It was a knack at first, just play around with it for a day, you'll get the hang of it. =)
If anyone is out there in Texas, I'm up for a jam session! =D

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2008, 12:04 pm

I was very pleased to receive permission from Derek to publish his shuffle (Eric Mead was instrumental in helping to convince Derek to publish it).

The videotape Derek sent to me was in a format for which I don't have a player (mini-DV). So, it sat on my desk for a while as I tried to figure out what to do. (Unlike some folks, I would never buy a camera just to play the tape, then return the camera. This is the type of behavior which drives up prices.)
When David Acer told me that he would be to busy to write Magicana for a month or two, I sent the tape to David Regal (who had agreed to fill in), hoping he would have a way to play it (which he did).

During this period, Derek at one point asked me not to publish the shuffle, then a few months later had a change of heart and said it was okay to publish it. I'm sure he was frustrated at the amount of time it took to appear, but when he first gave it to me, it was one of a kind--unique. I say it's difficult because this is something I discussed with Eric Mead when he first approached me to discuss publishing Derek's move. He's an extremely talented sleight of hand artist, and if he thought it was difficult, then I would have to agree with that. However, there's no question that some people find certain things easier to master than others. What makes Derek's shuffle difficult is that the cards unweave during the cascade when they are under pressure--difficult to control.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » October 27th, 2008, 7:56 pm

Yes, the shuffle is difficult, BUT, if you really want to learn it, the video on Dan and Dave's website is excellent. If it is worth $12 to you to really learn this, I don't think you could do better than to get this video. It seems to be to be almost as good as personal instruction. You can't ask any questions, but the shuffle is covered so completely, you probably won't have any questions. I am getting my first social security check in January, and my hands are not as agile as they were a few years, but I am confident that I can learn to do this competently. Difficult yes, but also doable!
A couple of things about purchasing the video: it appears to me that you can only watch the purchased video on the website. You can't make a copy to look at whenever you want, and there is a good reason for this. This should never end up on youtube or anywhere else. You can, however watch the video any time that you are connected to the internet. You will probably need a DSL or other fast connection. I had to download the latest Flash player, but the video looks great full screen, and it is professionally shot. As a card enthusiast, I think the video is a bargain. If you really want to learn this thing, it might be essential.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 28th, 2008, 2:37 am

There's nothing to prevent the idiots who post "teaching videos" to YouTube from "teaching" this, so I don't really see that preventing people who purchase the video from downloading it does any real good.

If the video were posted to YouTube at least they could have it taken down as to prevent legal problems. There's no protection from someone who thinks they can do the shuffle from posting their own explanation. YouTube is full of that crap.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 28th, 2008, 6:31 am

I concur with Mr. Duncan.

Streaming video keeps the price down and is convenient, but I would have preferred to be able to purchase something I could download and/or have at home on DVD. It would have been nice to utililize the purchase even when Internet access is not necessarily convenient or possible.

In addition, if the unforseeable happens and the company from which we purchased the streaming subscription goes under, our investment (albeit modest) is for naught.

Although this scenario seems unlikely, magic is a cottage industry by and large, and many of us have been left holding the bag when we have paid for subscriptions from entities that vanish secondary to financial problems. In these cases, we are out the money, with nothing in hand.

I wish to make it clear that I am NOT implying anything negative about the Buck's company or Mr. DelGaudio whatsoever, as they have clearly stood behind a purchase that many folks have enjoyed--indeed, they are to be lauded for releasing this great technique in a high quality fashion.

However, I'm just noting a general preference that legitimate purchasers be allowed to download what they have purchased and/or purchase a backup DVD of the video.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 28th, 2008, 9:43 am

If the video is Flash it's a piece of cake to take it offline. In fact, you already have.

Check your internet cache for large .flv files.

Take care, Ian

Sebastien L.

Postby Sebastien L. » October 28th, 2008, 9:59 am

Thanks for the tip, Ian.

A nice surprise is that the video file is actually in higher resolution than what you see in the player. For some reason it seems the player resizes the video to about 1/2 the real resolution.

So now we can have an offline version that also has a bigger frame. Win/win.

Doc Rogers
Favorite Magician: Daryl, Michael Vincent ,David Regal

Postby Doc Rogers » October 28th, 2008, 12:27 pm

The truffle shuffle is great. Thnaks to Derek for releasing it.

One thing that helped me while I developed the strength in my hands was to start out with an older deck and then move on the a newer and then a new deck.

Steve

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 28th, 2008, 2:57 pm

I found using Aviators helps. Being thinner, it makes the springing slightly easier in the early stages. Not tried it with Bees yet...

Take care, Ian

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 28th, 2008, 5:46 pm

Thanks, Ian--what a great tip!

Matt Richman

Postby Matt Richman » November 2nd, 2008, 4:07 pm

If you want to make it into a more compatible file, I will throw out the website below.

www.mediaconverter.org

It will do everything for you. My suggestion is to make it into a .avi file with DivX codec.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 2nd, 2008, 6:56 pm

To be fair, if you have a FLV player (Riva is quite good) you'll not need to convert it. Also, converting one compressed format into another rarely gives better results.

If you _really_ have to change the format, go to MPEG-2 and burn it to DVD.

Take care, Ian

Return to “Magicana”