NICK TROST

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Russ
Favorite Magician: Those that know the art well

NICK TROST

Postby Russ » October 23rd, 2008, 10:52 pm

I received a phone call today that Nick Trost had died today 10/23/08. Nick made a trip to Erie, Pa every Oct. to hang out with Bill Miesel and some of us. It was always great. Nick loved to session and talk magic. He was diagnosed with terminal Brain cancer around April of this year. I, for one, will miss him deeply. A few years back, Nick, Bill and myself attended a lecture in Buffalo by Max Maven. After the lecture, Max gave a copy of his notes to Bill free of charge. Nick bought a copy and we drove back home. I said to Nick; 'why didn't he just give you his notes as he did Bill, he references you many times in print?' Nick just said; " I never met him."

Just one of my memories of this man that I will never forget. A laid back guy so full of knowlege that seemed like the neighbor next door, Nick Trost's effects and insight most likely have shaped many a performer's show at sometime.

Goodbye Friend,
Russ Polizzi
Russ Polizzi

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Re: NICK TROST

Postby Tom Frame » October 23rd, 2008, 11:18 pm

I'm very sorry to hear of Mr. Trost's passing. His very clever packet tricks were some of the first card tricks I performed. My condolences to his family.

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » October 24th, 2008, 12:10 am

I am so terribly sorry to hear this news. Mr. Trost has been one of my favorite creators for many years; literally, since I was a child. My deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends.

Darren Lawbuary

Postby Darren Lawbuary » October 24th, 2008, 4:54 am

Terrible news. Mr Trost was one of my favourite magical creators. Lovers of the pasteboards owe him a HUGE debt of gratitude.

R.I.P, sir.
Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're asthmatic, then it's Ventolin.

amp

Postby amp » October 24th, 2008, 10:12 pm

Sorry to see this too. I really like Mr. Trost card magic. I think it was called Horsing around with very funny end.I always enjoyed that one.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 24th, 2008, 10:43 pm

I write this because I think Nick found it funny:

I went to a small convention in upstate NY a few years ago. When I arrived, I knew no one. It was being held at a little restaurant/bar. I went into the dining room and saw some magicians (you can just tell these things) and asked if I could join them.

They went around the circle introducing themselves. After about three people, Bill Meisel introduced himself followed by Nick Trost.

It took me by surprise and I exclaimed, "Oh my god, I thought you were dead."

Without missing a beat Nick quipped, "Everybody does."

I got to hang with him a bit that convention. Super duper nice man and I am happy to have had the chance to have met him.

Brad Henderson

Terry_Holley

Postby Terry_Holley » October 25th, 2008, 12:35 am

Nick's creations were great sellers when I demo'd at The Castle of Magic in Cleveland OH during the late 1970's, early 1980's. Terrific ideas.

Terry

Mats Kjellstrom
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Postby Mats Kjellstrom » October 25th, 2008, 3:18 am

I loved his packets tricks, superb & fun. A creative genius, sure.
(Bigfoot, packet trick, was my first experience with Nick Trost's world of card magic, early 80s)

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » October 25th, 2008, 7:18 am

A really very sad news.
I corresponded with him about about problems and sources regarding card magic, and especially about the Gilbreath principle, for which he had some first-rate ideas.

May he rest in peace - Mge Nick in Frieden ruhen!

[size:14pt]Does anyone know how old Nick was?[/size]

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » October 25th, 2008, 7:51 am

More sad news. Never met nor knew him personally, only through his many effects. Too bad there will be no more.
Dick Christian

Paul Richards

Postby Paul Richards » October 25th, 2008, 9:04 am

I was really sad to hear this

Nick was one of the nicest and most unpretentious guys Ive ever met in magic. Magic has changed so much over the years. In a world, where some guys seem to achieve stardom creating a single effect, Nick remained humble - even though he created more magic than most of us could ever learn.

His interest in creating never seemed to slow down. Nick (along with his road buddy Bill Miesel) would often stop by the shop when they were in western New York and I was always astonished by how much knowledge Nick seemed to have at his finger tips. Even still he was always willing to learn something new, but more importantly he was ever ready to share what he knew.

My sincere condolences go out to his family.

Rennie

Postby Rennie » October 25th, 2008, 12:45 pm

The Card Magic of Nick Trost is without a doubt the very best book on card magic ever. I honestly mean that, and I have many..
Mr. Trost relied on sublety and not difficult sleights.
The world of magic lost another genius, but will have many effects being used daily as a reminder of the man.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 25th, 2008, 1:21 pm

I only heard good things about him and that his work was useful to the last two generations of cardguys and generalist*s who wanted to explore card magic. * and also those who have perfect understanding and an ability to decide what is "the very best" * ;)

Maybe we'll get a eulogy from JR or someone who could tell us about what a difference he made to our craft aside from being such a nice guy.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2008, 1:22 pm

You are entitled to your opinion, but it is one most people who have long experience in card magic will not share.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » October 25th, 2008, 1:28 pm

Reinhard Mueller wrote:[size:14pt]Does anyone know how old Nick was?[/size]

According to his bio on MagicPedia he was 73.

Nick Trost Bio

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » October 25th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Russ wrote:IA few years back, Nick, Bill and myself attended a lecture in Buffalo by Max Maven. After the lecture, Max gave a copy of his notes to Bill free of charge. Nick bought a copy and we drove back home. I said to Nick; 'why didn't he just give you his notes as he did Bill, he references you many times in print?' Nick just said; " I never met him."

Until reading the above, I had no idea that Nick Trost was at that lecture. A pity he didn't introduce himself -- I would have enjoyed a conversation.

We actually did meet once, at a convention in Ohio, but that was probably thirty years ago and not much more than a handshake.

He leaves behind some really good thinking.

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » October 26th, 2008, 7:53 am

Thanks Evan Schuster for your hint!
Reinhard

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » October 26th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Terrible news. I am a huge fan of Mr. Trost's magic and had held out hope of meeting him someday. But, I only know him through his books.

The Card Magic of Nick Trost really is a great book full of practical and commercial magic. I even liked a lot of Subtle Card Magic even though it seems to have been panned by the critics.

H&R books was supposed to publish many more volumes of Subtle Card Magic. I hope Mr. Trost made provisions to continue the release of his unpublished work.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » October 26th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Ryan Matney wrote:H&R books was supposed to publish many more volumes of Subtle Card Magic. I hope Mr. Trost made provisions to continue the release of his unpublished work.

Volume Two will go to the printer soon and should be out in late December/early January. The status of future volumes (Mr. Trost had enough material for 7 or 8 such volumes) is uncertain.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » October 27th, 2008, 3:59 pm

I think when Nick released "The Card Magic of Nick Trost" he set the bar as high as anybody could set it for books on card magic.

In memory of Nick, I'll wander off topic just a bit.......there's an effect in "The Card Magic of Nick Trost" that (to me) represents Nick's brilliant thinking to an absolute tee.

In this "gambling" effect, (with modified patter), the specs believe the magician capable of the following:
1) You memorize the order of the entire deck in 10 seconds.
2) You perfectly deal seconds, bottoms, greeks, and centers.
3) You deal the above in order to get a Grand Slam in bridge.
4) You "edge read" a la Walter Scott (to ensure no doubles).
5) You are in fact skilled beyond what's thought possible.

Of course, the trick is from Nick and none of the above is remotely true. I taught the trick to my 11 year old daughter in 10 minutes.

I've never in my life read about, or performed a better card trick (technically a gambling demo) than the above. I've done it for years and fooled magicians and laymen by the hundreds with it (magi believe the same 5 "skills" above are being used that laymen do!)
It's absolutely classic Nick Trost card magic!....hard hitting, involved and interesting for the specs, and no knuckle busting which allows a lot of energy to be spent on presentation.

It's only one example of Nick's absolute brilliance, and apparently endless ability to create memorable card magic.

RIP Nick Trost, dearly missed by his family and his fellow magicians.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » October 27th, 2008, 11:35 pm

..........pardon my forgetfulness, before step #1 above, the spec shuffles!

Bob Postelnik

NICK TROST gambling routine

Postby Bob Postelnik » October 28th, 2008, 12:43 am

Hi Roger, I have the Card Magic of Nick Trost book, would you share the name of the routine you described in the above thread? Thanks! Bob
Life is a journey, so do not arrive at your grave safe and in a well preserved body. Enjoy the Ride!

Paul Gordon

Re: NICK TROST gambling routine

Postby Paul Gordon » October 28th, 2008, 4:41 am

Sad news indeed! Nick and I corresponded quite a lot over the years; always about "principles" in card magic. We both shared a love of impromptu stuff... I'll miss those letters.

R.I.P

Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Mats Kjellstrom
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Re: NICK TROST gambling routine

Postby Mats Kjellstrom » October 29th, 2008, 1:13 am

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 2&start=30

Nicholas K. Trost
TROST Nicholas K. Trost, age 73, passed away on Thursday, October 23 2008. Nick was a talented card magician, well known throughout the U.S. and Europe, and was the author of several books on card magic. He is survived by his beloved wife of 47 years, Dolores; children, Beth (Keith) Benner, Jennifer (Bill )Grawe, Kirk (Susan) and Erika (Steve) Blausey; eight grandchildren; and sister Jayne (Steve) Powell. Friends may call MONDAY, October 27, 2008 at the JOHN QUINT TREBONI FUNERAL HOME, 1177 W. 5th Avenue, from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Funeral Mass will be held 10:30 a.m. on TUESDAY, October 28 2008 at Our Mother of Sorrows Chapel (within the St. Joseph Cemetery), 6440 S. High Street, Lockbourne, Ohio, Msgr. Romano Ciotola, Presider. FRIENDS ARE ASKED TO MEET AT CHAPEL. Interment will follow. In lieu of flowers, friends who wish may contribute in memory of Nicholas to the The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Central Ohio, 2225 Citygate Drive, Suite E, Columbus, Ohio 43219. Condolences may be sent via www.johnquint.com

Sign the online guestbook at www.dispatch.com/obituaries

Return to “Buzz”