Let's all wish Jay Marshall well

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Let's all wish Jay Marshall well

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 31st, 2001, 9:03 pm

Jay Marshall was to have surgery tonight to remove his eye due to cancer. I'm sure all of our thoughts are with him ... let's wish him well. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Dobrowolski

Re: Let's all wish Jay Marshall well

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » November 1st, 2001, 11:06 am

I just spoke to Jay Marshall and he's home already and doing fine. He was in good spirits and cracking joke after joke. When I asked him how it went he said " What the hell I left with only one eye." He also said Ajaye called him and told him he's casting Captain Hook for Peter Pan and wanted to know if Jay was interested. He is planning on attending the LA History Conference on Magic next week. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Oliver Corpuz

Postby Oliver Corpuz » November 2nd, 2001, 10:25 pm

This evening, Tom Dobrowolski and I visited Jay Marshall at Magic, Inc. and the three of us went out for dinner (we had Thai food). Although Jay said he had some minor discomfort from the operation, he was in very good spirits, cracking jokes and telling stories. . . being the Jay Marshall we all know and love. He even joked about getting a parrot for his shoulder and a sword to complete the “pirate” motif.

For having his right eye removed just two days ago, I'm amazed at how well he is doing and how fast he is adjusting to the change. My guess is all his friends stopping by the magic shop to visit, calling on the phone to wish him well, sending him cards of encouragement, etc. has really had a positive effect on him. So if any of you have an opportunity to see Jay, be sure to tell him how much you care.

Having dinner with "one of the better, cheaper acts" was certainly an experience I'll always cherish.

Postby Guest » November 4th, 2001, 3:42 pm

I would like to personally wish Jay nothing less than a 100% recovery and my absolute best wishes!

I had the privilege of accompanying Chad Long when he lectured at Magic Inc. (For those of you that attended I was the big, bald guy helping Chad). I was floored when I looked over and realized Jay was sitting at the lecture. I had no idea it was owned and operated by Jay.

Not only is Jay a legend of the magic world. For those of you that havent met him hes a gracious host and one of the most pleasant men Ive ever had the pleasure of meeting.

After the lecture - he took me, Chad, many of the attendees of the lecture, his staff out to dinner. It was a night Im extremely glad to have been a part of and one Ill never forget.

If youre ever in the Chicago area be sure to stop in and meet Jay for yourself.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » November 6th, 2001, 11:30 am

Jay Marshall is one of the most durable, if not perdurable, legends of magic. It is difficult for most of us to imagine him NOT being with us always. He is now part of the landscape of greats. I have also long wished that what is stored in Jay's vastly detailed and archival brain could be stored and accessible as a permanent library. Jay not only knows the history of what has been recorded, he also knows magicdom's "occult" and unwritten history. He knows where all the bones and hatchets are buried.

Over the years his generosity and kindnesses to magicians worldwide have been remarkable. For example, in 1968, I wanted to write a detailed bibliography of Marlo's contributions. So, I telephoned Jay and asked him if I could do some research in his vast library. He not only gave me access, he helped me locate various items...and at the time, he didn't know me from Adam.

Jay is indeed the Dean of All Magicians. Even when I don't agree with him (which is rare), I love the guy.

Needless to say, I, along with thousands of magicians, wish him speedy recovery...

Onward...

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2001, 12:22 pm

I like his attitude. Many people complain about far less. I wish him a speedy recovery and I am glad to hear that he is in great spirits.

Return to “General”