Illusionists ripping each others work. What do you think?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Illusionists ripping each others work. What do you think?

Postby Guest » July 11th, 2006, 5:16 am

I was randomly browsing a Hungarian site, when I found the story of a local noname illusionist, who challenged a very famous escape guy, David Merlini, just to get some publicity for himself, and estabilish in the industry.

The funny part of it, is that the challenger strated to publish portraits of himself wearing a high security restraint, to underscore his ability.
Now, it came out that the guy was using the picture of another artist, just retouching the face, and putting his own.

The original photo:http://www.jaritapanainen.com/inenglish/olawieng.htm

And the scam: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/uplo ... Zerin3.jpg

We always have to take care what we upload on our personal webpage, otherwise there is chance that people like this Saman would use it for their own purposes.

P.S. I think that's the same guy who posted the Intruder box effect (cloning Steinmeyer's method).

Re: Illusionists ripping each others work. What do you think?

Postby Guest » July 11th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Oh man, that's not even well done.

If he's out to make a name for himself he better do a restraint that is 21st century, like wrap yourself in a bare electric cord and have it plugged into a timer that is plugged into the wall, and you have like 2 minutes to get out before you get zapped.

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2006, 1:29 pm

Yes, it's the same guy. He blames this "error" on the fellow who edits his photos.

Right.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 22nd, 2006, 1:40 pm

Yeah, that's like when Frank Garcia copped Fred Kaps's press quotes and put his name in place instead of Kaps and printed them in his books. You can read Vernon's response to that in the Vernon Touch book.
Naughty, and stupid. You really have to wonder how a person could think he wouldn't get caught.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 22nd, 2006, 2:45 pm

... not to mention the Wild Card. I wonder if Frank's recipes were his own? :D :p :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2006, 2:54 pm

That's almost as good as the illusionist who got booted out of his gig in Vegas (where he was renting the room), and rented some space in another location. The report stated that he had signed an extended contract at a higher price.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 22nd, 2006, 6:33 pm

Frank did not steal Wild Card.
Bill Simon showed the Peter Kane trick from Hugard's to Lou, and Lou asked Frank to come up with a different handling so it could be put on the market. The Garcia handling is entirely different than the Peter Kane handling, and it is the Garcia handling, not the Kane handling, that has become the standard.
The only thing you can say here is that the Garcia version should definitely have carried a credit to Peter Kane for providing the inspiration.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 22nd, 2006, 8:42 pm

That's what I meant... A CREDIT to Kane (I know Frank didn't take it, but it really was a shame that Kane didn't make a lot of money on that one).
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2006, 12:43 pm

Horrible picture editing

Return to “General”