Advice on Castle Auditions

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
David Thomas

Advice on Castle Auditions

Postby David Thomas » September 14th, 2008, 12:59 am

I wanted to ask you all what material I could perform from the complete works of derek Dingle or the classic magic of Larry Jennings that would impress both laypeople and magicians. I will be doing a card trick, a coin trick, and another close up classic. please I would really appreciate some advice on what to show from those books.

So far I have in mind rollover aces and either too many cards or technicolor all backs and some coin trick and another close up classic. Remember, to impress lay and magician audiences.

Thank you

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Advice on Castle Auditions

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 14th, 2008, 9:05 am

Aside from the book-source of the material is there a theme or idea you want to get across in your act? Will you be mentioning Derek Dingle?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » September 14th, 2008, 11:36 am

Yeah probably I'll say "This is an effect of Derek Dingles'. He was a huge influence to me in close up magic as well as many others." Do you have any advice on what to perform from those books that would impress lay and magician audiences it would be much appreciated.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 14th, 2008, 4:10 pm

Good presentation is the most important element: the audience has to like you and be entertained by what you do. The tricks are secondary to that.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » September 14th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Exactly what tricks would be best???

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 14th, 2008, 5:03 pm

You have to figure out what tricks best suit your personality and the person you wish to be seen as when you perform. None of us know you: it's very difficult to suggest good tricks.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brian Glicker

Postby Brian Glicker » September 18th, 2008, 2:22 pm

The most important thing that you can do is, whatever material you choose, do it competently. You will not fool the people at the auditions so don't even try. The audition committee tell you that they will not react, applaud or laugh - so don't go for applause or laughter. Just do whatever you do - but do it well. It must be smooth, practiced and staged (yes even close up must be staged)

Randy

Postby Randy » September 18th, 2008, 6:52 pm

As Brian noted above, don't be thrown off when you hit your applause cue and you hear nothing but silence. Don't take it personally, it is what it is....an audition. Also, don't start to freak if they cut you off half-way through you set. Once they have seen enough (either good or bad) they've seen enough. Enjoy the experience and the very best of luck to you.

Return to “Reference Room”