Redbelt

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
JKeppel

Redbelt

Postby JKeppel » May 3rd, 2008, 11:06 am

Anyone seen Redbelt yet and have a comment? I know it opens in La and NY this weekend but the rest of us dont get to see it until next weekend

Jim Martin

Re: Redbelt

Postby Jim Martin » May 3rd, 2008, 11:41 am

Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

David Scollnik

Postby David Scollnik » August 23rd, 2008, 8:11 pm

I saw Redbelt recently.

Although I've enjoyed many of Mamet's movies in the past, I wasn't all that pleased by this one. Primarily due to the story, which required a little too much suspension of disbelief for my tastes. It seemed to me that many events in the movie flew way out of control, for no good reason. (To be fair, in the movie's defense, maybe I just didn't 'get' part of it. But I can't help but think that a couple of well placed phone calls would have resolved many of the events driving the movie.)

However, the acting and the fight scenes were generally pretty good and I thought that the lead actor, Chiwetel Ejiofor, was excellent.

Also, Cyril Takayama had a relatively small part in this movie. Cyril performed a bit of magic with a cigarette and then with a die.

Michael Kamen

Postby Michael Kamen » August 23rd, 2008, 10:48 pm

I saw it a few months ago and thought it was a very interesting piece of work by Mamet. Picks up on the current popularity of mixed marshall arts, bringing the genre back down to earth after recent Kung Fu movies have gone quite in the opposite direction. I enjoyed it thoroughly and recommend it to anyone who likes slightly offbeat films.
Michael Kamen

Return to “Alternative Media”