Questions about Dr. Jaks

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Naphtalia

Questions about Dr. Jaks

Postby Naphtalia » June 11th, 2008, 1:50 pm

It's been one of those weeks where in doing some fairly diverse reading, the same name keeps popping up - Dr. Jaks.

Can anyone point me to a good place to learn more about this individual?

Does anyone have some stories or insight to share?
Naphtalia

Impropriety is the soul of wit.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Questions about Dr. Jaks

Postby Q. Kumber » June 11th, 2008, 2:41 pm

Robert Bluemle has been working on a biography for the last number of years. I hope it will see publication soon.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 11th, 2008, 2:48 pm

I don't think anyone believes Bluemle's book is ever going to be published. It's been decades and not a peep.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » June 11th, 2008, 3:37 pm

There are two recent volumes (2002,[118 pages] and 2003,[130 pages]) with a collection of tricks, stories, and history about Dr. Stanley Jaks. These two volumes were written by Perkeo, and they are written in German.

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » June 11th, 2008, 6:51 pm

It seems that Bob Bluemle's book on Dr Jaks has fallen into the "Barnett On Sleights" genre...I'm sorry if some of you don't see the connection..might be a NY thing..

all the best,
John

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » June 11th, 2008, 9:59 pm

I believe it was Ted Annemann who gave Jaks his "doctorate." Before that he was just plain "Jack Stanley" though born "Siegbert Jaks."

My old friend the late Ray Hafler knew Jaks and always spoke well of his charm. Al Mann published one of his booklets on Jaks' act as witnessed by Gene Grant at a private function. Most of Jaks' performances were for private functions. Interestingly enough, almost everything he did, with the exception of his signature duplication, was a prediction...at least in this show.

Naphtalia

Postby Naphtalia » June 12th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Thanks. Will have to do a little Magic Castle library and Ask Alexander research.

Always something new to learn.
Naphtalia

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » June 12th, 2008, 7:25 pm

From what I've studied of Jaks' work he had an interesting attribute to his presentations: he was able to make his effects seem important to the spectators, something not seen as much today.

For example, his presentation of the Brainwave had him producing the deck wrapped in old parchment and sealed with a wax seal in the shape of a scarab, if I recall correctly. This brought a level of interest and importance to the deck beyond simply pulling it out of a coat pocket and removing it from its case.

Those sorts of presentational touches made Jaks interesting to watch.

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » June 14th, 2008, 12:13 pm

Reinhard Mueller wrote:There are two recent volumes (2002,[118 pages] and 2003,[130 pages]) with a collection of tricks, stories, and history about Dr. Stanley Jaks. These two volumes were written by Perkeo, and they are written in German.

... and not to forget:
Eperny published in private publishing venture Vienna 1961 "Dr. Stanley-Jaks und seine Geheimnisse" [Dr. Stanley-Jaks and his Secrets]with 46 original effects by Jaks (168 pages, size: 8 inches x 5,7 inches, in German language)as volume 11 of the Eperny-Manuskriptserie.

Pekka Gunst

Postby Pekka Gunst » June 18th, 2008, 1:34 am

There was an audiorecording with Dr Jaks released by Martin Breese, this is still obtainable from Lybrary.com.

Reinhard, fortunately I read german but slowly. Are the books about Dr Jaks still obtainable, who is the publisher and what are the names of the books?

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » June 18th, 2008, 5:32 am

Liebe Pekka Gunst,

The two volumes, which I mentioned above "Die mentalmagischen Experimente des Dr. Stanley Jaks" Band 1 und und Band 2, are available from the author:(price about 21.00 Euro each)
Reinhard Trstler - Perkeo
Hinterhfen 23
77955 Ettenheim,
e-mail: Zauberatelier-Perkeo@t-online.de
Viele Gre,
Reinhard
P.S. Please mention my name if you write to Mr. Trstler

Pekka Gunst

Postby Pekka Gunst » June 18th, 2008, 5:52 am

Vielen dank

Ich habe die buechern schon gefunden bei zwei deutsche hndlern.

Many thanks
I have found the books and even ordered them from two different german dealers.

best regards Pekka Gunst

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » June 19th, 2008, 5:01 am

Pekka,

...gut.
I hope you will enjoy the Jaks books!
Best,
Reinhard

Pekka Gunst

Postby Pekka Gunst » June 19th, 2008, 7:52 am

A little Dr Jaks story. The late and great finnish magician Reijo Salminen was performing in Oslo Norway at the Chat Noir theatre, this was in the fifties. An American cruise ship came to Oslo and onboard was the incredible Dr Jaks. Salminen met Dr Jaks. He told that Dr Jaks used to carry his close up tricks in a box that looked like a book. Dr Jaks even visited Finland for a very short time and even called a famous finnish magician but, the schedule was too thight for a meeting.

Ian Keable

Postby Ian Keable » June 22nd, 2008, 6:27 pm

There is one book written in English which I know of. One of the Al Mann booklets, The Incredible Dr Jaks by Phantini which describes Dr Jaks' stage act in pretty good detail.

Naphtalia

Postby Naphtalia » June 23rd, 2008, 11:01 am

Thanks so much...I'll go looking for it.

Much appreciated.
Naphtalia

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » June 23rd, 2008, 11:04 am

I own 11 single pages in an envelope. The envelope shows the photo of Jaks' face with his eyes covered by black blindfold.
The text on the envelope is:
"Who/ is this/ Dr. Jaks/ ? / THE DR. JAKS LECTURE!//" But NO date is given.
Introduction 3 pages, then follow seven effects: Sponges - 4 Blacks - Bill Tube - Letter Mystery - Hermann - Ring Trick - Purse Trick. "Hermann" seems to be missed in the collection, and is not described.

Does anyone know the date, and the location where Jaks lectured with those notes?

sko

Postby sko » July 20th, 2008, 4:59 pm

Jaks' close-up case shaped like a book (and much of its contents) is currently in the collection of Ken Klosterman. The case is photographed and described in Ken's book Salon de Magie.

Postby 000 » July 22nd, 2008, 3:47 am

One of Dr Jaks effect ( together with Alex Elmsley) was WHAT CARD.
I have described a variation thereof in the close up section, titled Brainwave Kicker.

Greg Edmonds

Postby Greg Edmonds » August 20th, 2008, 1:37 pm

Collector's Workshop, at one time, produced a "book" close-up case based on Dr. Jaks design. I don't think Viking (Collector's Workshop's new home) carries it, but you might find one used on eBay.

An old (very large) dictionary might be useful if you desire to make your own. While the item is charming to look at, I don't feel it's terribly practical for close-up workers who do table to table work. If you are stationed at a single spot wherein the audience comes to you, however, the book idea is appealing.

Greg Edmonds

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 20th, 2008, 2:16 pm

Greg, how about using the book as a production frame for items rather than a full carrying case for actual items? A flipover box seems more practical than getting all compact and fretting over fast resets into tiny compartments.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on August 20th, 2008, 2:17 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: parlor thinking - outside the binder so to speak

Greg Edmonds

Postby Greg Edmonds » September 9th, 2008, 6:17 am

An interesting concept; rather like the Owens Book Production ["[color:#FF0000]From The Pages of Life[/color]," product number 5082, I think] Illusion but in a table version. I can think of a couple of ways (though neither angle-proof) to gimmick a book for this function.

Greg

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”