Who first published the all red cards blowoff finale in an oil and water routine?

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Philippe Noël

Who first published the all red cards blowoff finale in an oil and water routine?

Postby Philippe Noël » August 2nd, 2008, 7:49 am

Do you know who first published the all red cards blowoff finale in an oil and water routine?
The earlier source I found is Very Nice Oil + Water by Richard Vollmer in Apocalypse Vol.5 N9 Sept. 1982.
Do you know any earlier reference?
Thank you in advance for your help,

Philippe Nol

Max Maven

Re: Who first published the all red cards blowoff finale in an oil and water routine?

Postby Max Maven » August 2nd, 2008, 11:51 am

I am currently several thousand miles away from my library, but if memory serves, the first to come up with an Oil & Water climax where all of the cards became the same color was Karl Fulves; I believe it was in the 1970s.

Philippe Noël

Re: Who first published the all red cards blowoff finale in an oil and water routine?

Postby Philippe Noël » August 2nd, 2008, 1:48 pm

Mr Maven,
Thank you for your quick response.
Few minutes after my post, I discovered this reference:"Camouflage" from Packet Switches (Part Two) Karl Fulves 1973. I imagine it is the reference you are talking about.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » August 3rd, 2008, 8:15 am

David Britland had a nice red-black effect called "Alchemy" in New Talon Vol. 1 No. 3 (1987), in which black cards placed between red ones change one by one to red cards, leaving you with all red cards at the end. He says it was based on an idea that appeared in Fulves' Notes from Underground (1973).

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 3rd, 2008, 6:21 pm

Was there a line or effect behind showing the "all red" at the end of those routines?

It took a while after David Egleston showed me what folks are talking about to find a way to make it work in context .
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » August 4th, 2008, 3:13 am

In "Alchemy" the idea is that you are showing how alchemists used to turn base metals (black cards) into gold (red cards).

Cugel

Postby Cugel » August 4th, 2008, 6:46 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Was there a line or effect behind showing the "all red" at the end of those routines?

It took a while after David Egleston showed me what folks are talking about to find a way to make it work in context .

When did Dave teach it to you?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 4th, 2008, 6:51 am

Teach? Just showed me a clip of himself performing the Skinner routine. I was puzzled by the very idea and so wanted to see how it looked in action - whoops was not DaveE who made that video. Anyway it took a bit to find something congruent to make sense of that finish.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on August 4th, 2008, 8:37 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: sorry PD

Return to “Reference Room”