Pirate Magic

Discuss the art of Children's Entertainment with your fellow performers.
Damian Odess-Gillett

Pirate Magic

Postby Damian Odess-Gillett » July 31st, 2008, 12:30 pm

Hi All,
I'm looking for ideas for pirate themed magic for children. My nephew's 6th birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and they'll be having a pool-side pirate party.
The first thing that came to mind was a miser's dream with gold dubloons. Perhaps some kind of pirate flag blendo, if i can find the silks...
Any ideas or stories would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Damian

DrDanny

Re: Pirate Magic

Postby DrDanny » July 31st, 2008, 1:42 pm

Just wear an eye patch and say "Arrrrr" a lot. Maybe do Forgetful Freddie Walks the Plank. The kids will take it from there. ;-)

Mark Pettey

Postby Mark Pettey » July 31st, 2008, 2:58 pm

I have a prop I have used for many different themes. It would be perfect for a pirate show. It is a large wooden chest, and resembles a treasure chest. It is made in India, I think, and called The Enchanted Chest. Basically a tip-over trunk. Looks very cool.

Routines could involve a parrot (use large flash card pictures or a puppet, no need for a live bird), gold coins, a fake hook hand, a peg leg used as a wand, etc.

Tim Sonefelt has a great pirate treasure map routine he is now selling at his Wonder Imagery site. Barry Mitchell has a little treasure chest prop used in a routine about gold coins. Rice Silks still sells the pirate flag silk.

Or, you could think more modern, and go with some ideas from the cartoon show Sponge Bob Square Pants. which has nautical, pirate, under the sea overtones.

Arrrrrrgh, start up the Google search engine me mateys !
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
ROBBiE the RiNGMASTER'S
CiRCUS of MAGiC!

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » July 31st, 2008, 9:18 pm

Eleazar Goodenough wrote up his Pirate Miser's Dream act and included it in "Cauldron Capers" from last Halloween's The Wizards' Journal #14, on my site. He performs it with eye patch and a hook on one hand, dropping the golden coins (plastic) into a halloween cauldron.

The same issue (#14) has my "Inexhaustible Jack-O-Lantern" in it. What has that got to do with a pirate, you ask? The table used in the act is made from a skeleton leg (and now is the time to get skeleton parts for making it from craft stores). Instead of a Jack-O-Lantern, you could make your inexhaustible production from a pirate's hat or even a treasure chest.

Good luck, matey!
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » August 1st, 2008, 10:32 am

www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

Damian Odess-Gillett

Postby Damian Odess-Gillett » August 2nd, 2008, 10:27 pm

Thanks Mark, Phineas, JR--I appreciate it. Good advice all around. I've started reworking miser's dream and have ordered some "gold" doubloons. Also found a torn and restored treasure map and pirate booty mentalism routine that hopefully will engage the younger audience...

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » August 3rd, 2008, 2:47 am

Good-looking parrott puppet, this is by Folkmanis:

http://www.puppetstoreusa.com/papua.html

Damian Odess-Gillett

Postby Damian Odess-Gillett » August 5th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Great idea, Jeff--i just put in my order!

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » August 6th, 2008, 1:11 am

Have fun with it, and don't tell too many bad pirate jokes!

Return to “Children's Entertainment”