wild card effect(explicit display of faces and backs)

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
swamy

wild card effect(explicit display of faces and backs)

Postby swamy » July 29th, 2008, 8:56 am

I am looking for the name of the wild card effect where both faces and backs are explicitly displayed at the end of the performance.

Post the name if your know it.

Ian Kendall

Re: wild card effect(explicit display of faces and backs)

Postby Ian Kendall » July 29th, 2008, 9:04 am

I believe Dan Harlan had an ungimmicked Wild Card routine at the end of the Band Shark video. I seem to remember there was an interesting display at the end, but it's been a while.

Take care, Ian

swamy

Postby swamy » July 29th, 2008, 9:08 am

Does the ungimmicked wild card effect is a packet effect withot any interaction of the deck?

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » July 29th, 2008, 10:21 am

See Derek Dingle

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 29th, 2008, 11:49 am

Probably been a few - from Derek Dingle's Wildfire in the New Stars of Magic to my item using a version of Elmsley's Ghost count and a smaller packet.

Any particular version you are seeking?

swamy

Postby swamy » July 29th, 2008, 12:02 pm

I am looking for a small packet wild effect where at the end both the faces and backs are displayed explicitly.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 29th, 2008, 12:11 pm

In the routine you are seeking - do the backs change too (as well as the faces ) ? Matt Sedlack recently offered a version where you start with four of a kind and wind up with blank both sides cards called "eraser card".

swamy

Postby swamy » July 29th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Thanks for the "ERASER CARD". Let me know where could I get it.

Secondly to clarify further I am looking for the small packet wild card effct where only faces are transformed and at the end the backs and the transfomed faces are display explicitly. The backs remain unchanged as displayed explicitly at the start of the performance.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 29th, 2008, 1:50 pm

It might help to know that such a routine with a small packet and only changing the faces has been a standard exercise for beginners since Jerry Mentzer's little book on false counts was published decades ago. The basic plot has been with us since Hofzinser and was recently described in its original form in the November 2005 issue of Genii magazine. Those who did not explore Hofzinser's tricks at the start of their card education may well have explored that idea indirectly by way of Expert Card Technique -> Ed Marlo where the Mexican Turnover and BoTop get the student ready for less sleight intensive routines and some Hofzinser classics are refreshed for twentieth century use.

The non-card students may well have stopped exploring when shown the "eight card brainwave" or "dots impossible" and he Hamman or Ghost count - and wound up using the flushtration count to make a packet trick (unexaminable) their end result. Not a bad result just a milestone some students have passed on their way.

(or is that kidneystone - along with lots of aspirin) :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Vraagaard

Postby Vraagaard » July 30th, 2008, 4:48 am

In Tommy Wonders fabolous "Tamed Card" effect the routine ends with a display of the faces and a casual open display of all the backs. The cards are however not in the end shown one-by-one face and back, but all cards are shown hold in a fan. However, during the routine all cards are shown face and backs one-by-one. I have seen a lot of wild cards effects, but the late Tommy Wonders "Tamed Card" routine is in my view one of the absolute strongest.

Just ask around.

Ricky Difeo

Postby Ricky Difeo » July 30th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Hi boys!

You must read the John Bannons Book "Smoke and Mirrors". ;)

You can found one routine of wild card with normal cards.-
Very good card trick.-

Ricardo Difeo

gberard

Postby gberard » August 1st, 2008, 3:08 pm

I really like David Regal's Wild Card handling in his new book, "Approaching Magic". Well worth picking up a copy.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 1st, 2008, 4:07 pm

Anyone recall the Robert-Houdin item where you get the entire deck to change three times to match three selections?

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » August 1st, 2008, 5:22 pm

In french this trick is called "Le jeu prote"
It's a trick deck with double face. One of the three cards forced is on one side and the two others are divised cards. So when you FAN the deck, you can show three changes.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 2nd, 2008, 12:37 am

Philippe - it figures you'd know the item :) - when I looked at the item in my (probably poor) translated version it was called the Protean Pack and the display seemed more like the dribble or flick of a tabbed blow book the way the Svengali Deck is often displayed as all the same card. I'm not sure now to do a fanned display with such a pack. Here's the ad from the guy who's made up some of these decks for those who want to be playing with a full deck on this one. http://thecardplant.com/order.htm

Edward

Postby Edward » August 5th, 2008, 11:03 pm

Vinny Marini has a very nice ungimmicked Wild Card Effect.

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » August 10th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Try inpromptu wild card by Larry Jennings it's awesome.

Paul Mellan

Postby Paul Mellan » August 16th, 2008, 12:38 pm

Many years ago Ron Frost sold an excellent wild card effect called "Wild Card Outdone." Ron's handling is very effective and unique! You do the effect twice, using a different "wild card" the second time around. At this juncture, the faces of some of the cards turn blank and the backs of the remaining cards all change to different colored backs! The cards are totally examinable, when the effect is over-non-plussing the audience. When Ron worked at Tannens, he showed this effect to Frank Garcia, before marketing it to get Frank's permission to market it. Mr Garcia told Ron, he better market it, because it was so excellent! The effect is still available!
Paul Mellan

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » August 16th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Hi Jonathan,

I come back home and first, I give you the ORIGINAL text in french, then I'll try to correctly translate it in english.

Ayez trente rois de pique deux ttes. Faites avec un canif, d'une corne l'autre une entaille diagonale moiti de l'paisseur de la carte et ddoublez-la partir de cet endroit pour enlever l'une des deux ttes. Puis collez la place une moiti de dame de coeur ddouble de la mme faon.
Imprimez, en outre, sur le dos de ces cartes doubles des as de carreau.
Ces cartes pourront donc reprsenter des rois de pique, des dames de coeur ou des as de carreau, selon que l'on les montrera par le haut, par le bas et par derrire.

TRANSLATION :

Have thirty Kings of spade. With a knife, make from one corner to the other a diagonal cut to half the thickness of the card and split it from this place to remove one of two headers. Then paste in place a half Queen of hearts split in the same way.
Print, furthermore, on the backs of these divided cards Aces of Diamonds.
Therefore, these cards may represent Kings of spades, Queens of hearts or Aces of diamonds, depending on showing the upper half, the bottom half, or the back.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 18th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Thanks Philippe

You are of course correct. My recollection of the item was faulty. Today I got back to the book and read for myself again and yes the pack is fanned.

Seems a natural for parlor performances and fun way to use the Gravity deck switch Paul Gertner's been teaching in his lectures.

Jon

PS just found a doozy in the Robert-Houdin book which looks like the snap/turnaournd card change. Nice things to be found and refined for modern use. :)

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » August 18th, 2008, 4:32 pm

Exactly !

The turnaround card change described by Robert-Houdin is the ancestor of the snap/turnaround change described (for instance) by Paul LePaul in his book.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”