One Trick DVD Article by Richard Kaufman

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
Rennie

One Trick DVD Article by Richard Kaufman

Postby Rennie » June 21st, 2008, 2:04 am

Just received the July issue of Genii and would like to salute our fearless leader, Richard Kaufman for saying what he feels about the "One Trick" DVD's. I strongly agree with him on this subject, the particular DVD he was referring to not only was 1 effect, but did NOT come with the needed gaffs, and it was $30.00.
Richard had mentioned you could buy a magic book for $10.00 more and get many, many great effects.
Everyone should read this article and not purchase the "One Trick" DVD's, Great Article Richard.
I do have to note though, my issue had 6 - 8 pages that were very light and nearly illegible, as if the printers were low on ink.
Otherwise some excellent articles.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: One Trick DVD Article by Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 21st, 2008, 9:53 am

Rennie, contact the Genii office and we'll send you a replacement.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Rennie

Postby Rennie » June 21st, 2008, 10:32 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Rennie, contact the Genii office and we'll send you a replacement.

Richard,
Thanks, I do appreciate it. The article about the DVD was really good though and hope more people feel the same.
By the way, do you recall you had gotten Room For Doubt by Tony Spina from me and you were very generous with your offer.
Thanks agian,
Rennie

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 21st, 2008, 3:10 pm

I love Room for Doubt!

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » June 21st, 2008, 7:11 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I love Room for Doubt!

Me too! Sadly, my copy of the tape was ruined, and my search for a replacement tape has been unsuccessful. Anyone happen to have one?

Edward

Postby Edward » June 21st, 2008, 8:28 pm

Just from reading this thread it sounds like a great article. I do agree with the one trick pony DVD's though. I personally would not by a $30 DVD with one effect in it. This is why I have been putting my efforts into to finding out which books to purchase for card/coin magic. I find them to be of greater value.

DVD's that have a variety of effects in them are still worth the price.

I also would like to see DVD's that are specific to books, i.e. EATCT, done by the author of said books. I find that to be able to visually see what the effect is supposed to look like is an added value.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » June 21st, 2008, 9:43 pm

It's not cut and dried. I'd buy a one trick DVD from Levent, because you know you'd get your money's worth.

A DVD from some kid...? Different proposition.

Michael Jay

Genii Speaks (July, 08)

Postby Michael Jay » June 22nd, 2008, 11:01 am

Just a quick thank you to Mr. Kaufman for bringing up what I consider to be a big problem with the magic industry today - one trick DVDs. I have been whining about this problematic trend for years now and it feels very good to see that it is finally being addressed by much more important men in this industry than myself.

I believe (although, I could be wrong) that it is Paul Harris who no longer writes books, prefering to produce DVDs instead, because the DVDs are easier to make and sell quicker than books. Better money in DVDs.

What a shame.

Anyway, thank you Mr. Kaufman for addressing this issue.

Mike.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » June 22nd, 2008, 12:24 pm

Just want to throw in my nickel's worth. I've been asked, so many times, over the years, to put, for example, my Card Sharp & The Four Gamblers, Magician VS. Gambler, my Ambitious Card routine, Greatest Card Handler of All, Snap!, and so many others, on DVD - that is, just one routine on a DVD. Been assured that they'd be very successful. Well, perhaps, but I won't do it. Why would I? It'd be rip-off. Those items are in my books among MANY OTHER effects and routines, so that purchasing the book is a MUCH BETTER BUY. And certainly not a rip-off - just the opposite. Okay, that is my nickel's (oksy; my three cents) worth. HARRY LORAYNE. (PS: Of course, the above-mentione, plus over a hundred others, are on DVD - my "Best Ever" 4-volume set - but there are MANY items on each; certainly no one-trick DVDs.)

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » June 22nd, 2008, 2:33 pm

A similar argument/criticism/observation happened in the 1930s with Ted Annemann selling a single piece of paper for $1.

I believe the counter-argument was that a $1000 bill is printed on a "single piece of paper."

I've found some large books to be worthless or nearly worthless and small pamphlets to be worth their weight in gold. There are a lot of factors involved in creating value, the amount of content being one small part.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » June 22nd, 2008, 2:38 pm

That goes without saying. According to the person who's doing the writing/teaching, I guess. HL (I believe the original of Paul Curry's Out Of This World was a couple of mimeographed pages. But that kind of thing was few and far between, more so today,in my opinionl.)

amp

Postby amp » June 22nd, 2008, 2:51 pm

Got me thinking. Stars of Magic began with one trick.However, it was done by great thinkers of magic. Do you think the one trick DVD is that they don't think?

JordanB

Postby JordanB » June 22nd, 2008, 3:33 pm

As a blanket rule, I wouldn't stop purchasing one trick DVD's. Some of them are horrific...in fact, many of them are horrific. But some are excellent. I'm a friend of Bob White's and I think his DVD's on the Malini Egg Bag, Cups and Balls, Linking Rings and Tissue Paper Tear are some of the best out there.

To be fair to Richard though, I don't believe he was talking about DVD's such as Bob's, where the nuances to complex and intricate routines are taught in great detail (though I could be wrong). For example, if Johnny Thompson put out a DVD on just the three ball transposition or egg bag, I would probably buy it.

Like many magicians, I base my purchases on a variety of factors including the great reviews in Genii. I know they have an influx of products to review, and a lot of times I appreciate the bad reviews as much (if not more) than the good ones.

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » June 22nd, 2008, 5:17 pm

I'm of two minds here. I took a very long hiatus from magic and picked it up again in adulthood. Discovering magic DVDs I picked up one by a well known and prolific creator. There were 30 or so effects on the disk and I currently use none. In fact, there was something about the multitude of effects on the disk that diminished the disk as a whole. On the other hand, Daryl's Ambitious Card DVD, which provides a lot of detail on one routine, is one of my favorites.

Last year on impulse I picked up Paul Vigil's "Diplopia," a PDF manuscript teaching one trick (a variation on Paul Cummins' "Tap-a-lac") for $20. I do it all the time, and I file it next to the little manuscripts for "Card Warp," which I bought as a kid for $2 and "Out of this World," which probably cost about $5 back in the '70s. So, in short, for me it's more about the quality and originality of the effect than the quantity of effects on the disk.

All of that said, given what's on the market these days, however, I mostly agree with you. I'm perfectly happy to buy a one-trick DVD if it's a complete, nuanced, well-taught, well-credited examination of a trick and various related routines or handlings. If it's just a home-shot 20-minute DVD teaching one trick which is just the creator's clever updating of an old principal, I'll skip it. (And that's what most DVDs on the market are these days.) In general, I am much happier buying books, not because you get so many tricks but because they usually provide more lasting pleasure and are, I think, easier to learn from.

But you've put your finger on something that I do think sucks -- one-trick DVDs that rely on gimmicks you have to make yourself. Not too long ago these things would be dealer items, and you'd get the gimmicks ready-made. That ready-made quality is presumably what would justify the price. I don't know the "Color Burn" gaff, but I think it's ridiculous you have to make it yourself. Another recent offender: Daniel Garcia's "Torn Too," which requires not only a card gaff but a gaff deck. For the $30 you should get all that you require to do the trick; as it stands, you have to assemble a bunch of materials and go out and buy the required deck as well. With these kinds of one-trick DVDs you get slickly shot demo performances and video recountings of arts and crafts sessions that would be much more concisely conveyed through printed instructions.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » June 22nd, 2008, 7:11 pm

I find this kind of a conversation very funny. The reason I find it very funny because there are so many sides to this conversation.

The question of a one trick DVD and is it worth it? That depends on the DVD - who did it. And what is on it. And it depends on the person that may or may not buy it. Who are they? What are their goals?

People do magic for different reasons.

Yes there are books and other DVD products out there that have more tricks in them than a DVD with one trick. Some magicians are into collecting secrets so they collect books and DVD's so they can have a lot of secrets. I am not a magician that got into magic to find out or be able to do as many magic tricks as I can collect.

My interest in magic is finding good performance material that I can do for an audience. That fits in with the way that I like to perform for an audience.

If Jack Pyle were alive today and published his bridge deal on a DVD - and I did not know it. And I wanted to learn it. And if it had all the little bits of business. And I would be able to add his bridge deal to my act. Then in my opinion that DVD with that one trick on it would be worth it. I look at routines like that as if they are golden routines.

If my Dad published his rope tie - or his knotted silks or his misers dream - in my opinion that also would be gold. Most of the entertainers I have known over the years looked to find magic that fits in with what they do - so they need magic and use it to earn a living.

So if they find a magic trick that pays for itself over time - because they use it in a show - and it holds up to the grind - and the audience likes it. Then - it is worth the money that they "INVESTED" in it.

Magicians that do magic for a hobby. They don't need a trick that is audience tested. In my opinion they don't look at magic as if it is an investment that they must earn back what the trick cost them - by using it in a show. They seem to want to know as many tricks as they can. So in my opinion they look for magic products to give them a lot of bang for the buck.

So to answer the question that no one asked me. Are some one trick DVD's worth it? Yes - sometimes. And No - sometimes.

Because as I said in my opinion it depends on what is on the DVD and who is getting it. And for what reason. To use in his act and it is an investment? Or to add to his collection.

Just my opinion!

Rennie

Postby Rennie » June 22nd, 2008, 10:50 pm

Harry Lorayne wrote: That goes without saying. According to the person who's doing the writing/teaching, I guess. HL (I believe the original of Paul Curry's Out Of This World was a couple of mimeographed pages. But that kind of thing was few and far between, more so today,in my opinionl.)

Harry,
You are correct about the pages for Out of This World, however I recall seeing it listed for many years in various catalogs at a price of $1.00.
Even with inflation I do not believe it could sell on a DVD for $30.00 today, though it is a classic. Just my opinion.
Rennie

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 22nd, 2008, 11:34 pm

Glenn Bishop wrote:If Jack Pyle were alive today and published his bridge deal on a DVD

Can you imagine if Jack had ANY amount of work on video?
I'd pretty much pay whatever the asking price was, one trick or not.

Jack teaching his bridge deal.......one of the GREAT "formal" close up routines I've ever seen........I'm in.

........BUT, most DVD's today sadly aren't by the likes of Jack Pyle, and I think Richard's article is dead on the money.

I'd feel exactly the same way I do about about Jack Pyle to be able to watch Harry teach "Out of This Universe"........so it appears if taught by one of the Masters, a "one trick" DVD might take on a different light.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » June 23rd, 2008, 8:13 am

I knew Jack Pyle Quite well. He was one of the first magicians that I ever saw do card sharp magic. He like most magicians of his time - did not lecture on magic. He performed magic shows for a living and did not lecture to magic groups.

Jack Pyle also came and went before the big video DVD age hit magic. My Dad the late Billy Bishop was against publishing his tricks because in his opinion more magicians would do them.

He did not publish his stuff - but that did not stop magicians from doing his stuff anyway. To me it has nothing to do with the "masters" and if "they did" a one trick DVD.

It has to do with "content".

Is the content worth the price of the investment? To me that is the question when I buy magic. One trick on a DVD or not.

Just my opinion.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 23rd, 2008, 6:07 pm

Glenn Bishop wrote: To me it has nothing to do with the "masters" and if "they did" a one trick DVD.

Although we're both fans of Jack Pyle, in your quote above we will have to diverge in opinion.

For me, it has everything to do with it.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » June 23rd, 2008, 7:11 pm

OK by me Roger M. If you would only buy a one trick DVD if it were done by some magic "master".

And my opinion of what a "master" in magic is most likely very different as well. From where I come from the "master's" of magic were "all" performers!

Few performers published what they did to put food on the table.

Good performance material is hard to find and in my opinion - most of the time - worth the money because the performer will earn back the investment by doing shows.

Not in the case of the magician that does it as a hobby - who will sell part of his collection after they get tired of it - to buy more magic that might be sold at a future time.

Just my opinion.

John Cox

Postby John Cox » June 23rd, 2008, 11:13 pm

I think that most one trick DVD's I have seen are not worth it. Heck I think that a lot of the 8 trick DVD's are overpriced too. Especially the way they package them. Being a coin magic man I would rather get all the coin tricks on one DVD and skip most of the card stuff. But...one DVD that taught one trick that I thought was fantastic was Warp One. That was worth being on a DVD by itself. Another was Chris Capeharts linking Rings. So, I agree that there are times when it may be worth it but most of the time I say no.
Keep it visual

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » June 25th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Every once in a while a "one trick DVD" comes out that is really worth it...the key is to wait out the initial hype. In one case people had talked so much about the effect, that eventually I figured out the handling and felt I HAD to purchase it out of guilt (Prohibition). For the most part, I think we're preaching to the choir with this thread. Someone should start a thread like this over at the "other" place.
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » June 26th, 2008, 10:35 am

Folks over at the "other" place are too busy creating their one-trick DVD's.

Adrian

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » July 1st, 2008, 5:55 pm

I don't think that there is a cut and dry answer to this.

I have some books which I do not like, there is a great deal of stuff, but it taught nothing new.

I have a few DVD's with many effects, which were not good.

I have some one effect DVD's which I love.

What about a packet trick that comes with DVD instructions vs. written? Is this a one trick DVD? How is a one trick DVD any different than any other single item effect with written instructions, especially if the gaff or needed props is included?

There is a bunch of junk being release and there is some really good items as well. I don't think there is a clear line that can be made with a simple statement of 1 Trick DVD Bad, Books good.

How much do we pay for an effect we use and works well for us? If I spend $40 on a book and only get one usable piece of magic how is that any different? I agree with what others have said, it is the content as well as the intent and extra material that may be included.

Geoff Weber

Postby Geoff Weber » July 2nd, 2008, 3:39 pm

I prefer to evaluate each product on its own individual merits. If it is a good trick and I am willing to pay the price they ask, then I will do so.

Alton

Postby Alton » July 4th, 2008, 1:51 pm

I have one of John Bannon's one trick dvd's (Royal Scam) and it just goes to show that you can indeed 1. produce a nice dvd 2. include all gaffs for said routine 3. also take the time to include a .pdf of the routine. All this for $15. Of course I don't know the profit margin on said dvd's.

As far as the Daryl 3 Card Monte and Ambitious Card dvd's go, you get so much information that they merit the price for them because of the depth he goes into on each. Man at the moves he provides for the Ambitious Card routine.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that most everyone is so eager to "have something published". Regardless of being time tested under performance conditions.

AT

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 4th, 2008, 8:50 pm

Sorry, Alton, but I think that's just baloney. I'd rather pay $5 or $7.50 for the trick with printed instructions like the old days. I don't need a DVD to learn a packet trick.

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 4th, 2008, 11:18 pm

Hmmm...

$7.50 in 1975 is equivalent to $30.20 in today's money according to http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

So it seems that $15 for the gimmicked cards PLUS a DVD is indeed a bargain!

By the way Happy Independence Day everyone! I've just got back from a very long day of shows where I must have performed Hundy 500 at least 500 times!

I would happily have paid five times the price for that particular One Trick DVD. At the end of the day, isn't it about quality more than quantity?

I have to admit I am biased since I have my own wonderful one trick DVD coming out soon - Three Card Bunny is on its way!!!

Best,
James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Alton

Postby Alton » July 4th, 2008, 11:53 pm

Oh i would also Richard. I loved the routines that have been put out in the past for under $10 that came with the gaffs and printed instructions. I also do not need a dvd to learn a packet trick.

I was just pointing out that $30 for a one trick dvd is wayyyyyy too high and find it funny that John is putting out a one trick dvd for half that price so you know it can be done.

For one, he does put together a .pdf (I don't think I have mentioned I hate .pdf e-books with a passion) which you don't see many taking the time to include with their one trick dvd's. For another, I think it wouldn't take much to include a printed copy along with the dvd for $15 considering that dvd's when bought in bulk are not but a couple of cents (I have a dvd burner and have bought blanks before).

I surely prefer books over dvd's myself. You know the old saying that in order to hide a routine, put it in a book? I saw where a manufacturer of dvd set ($35 and had 13 or 14 effects) released 1 routine from the set separately for $20 from the set, using the same footage and was getting hammered because he wasn't mentioning in the marketing blurb that said trick was included in the set(which is a separate issue all together).

Are we getting to the same point with dvd's now? If you want to hide a really good routine put it either in a book or on a dvd set? Are the consumers so lazy they have to have everything put on a silver platter for them? I think so. The sad part is there are a lot of good material that will be overlooked. Thats good for me though.

Here is a quote from Tim Trono from over at the other place regarding individual effect dvd's:
On 2008-03-26 17:50, Tim Trono wrote:
The trend seems to be more and more for single trick DVDs. Gone overall are the days of Joe Smith and his magic repertoire. I think people want the "editing" to be done for them- in other words they want someone to pick THE best item and put it on a DVD. They don't want to sit through 10 or 12 routines even if it is a better value. To some dealers the other material clouds the best material. It's a lot like what is happening with the music industry. It used to be a musician put out an album (I'm dating myself LOL) or CD and it contained a number of their releases with maybe one or two true highlights. Certainly the other music was not filler but maybe just not the shining star that one or sometimes two pieces were. This allowed them to get the other non highlights (but no doubt GREAT music) out as well. Those days are coming to an end with iTunes, downloads, etc. - people are ONLY buying the highlights. This is having a big effect on the music industry for artists as some of their non highlight music will not see the light of day.

Now I love dvd's/videos since they have allowed me to watch some of the greats in action, Harry Lorayne, Martin Nash, Michael Close, Bill Malone...but i buy the source books as well, if available, because I usually find nice things hidden within the pages usually weeks, months, and sometimes years later when I re-read them. So I think we as a society have just become extremely lazy.

AT

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 5th, 2008, 4:03 am

To comment on what Tim Trono said. I think what he says above is a resonable assumption to make. IE: Magicians want the editing done for them and want THE BEST trick made available.

However that's not what is happening at all. Most of the crap is not 'edited' for us at all. It's just the one thing Mr. Magic could think of and whack onto a dvd for $35. So, to my way of thinking, that's not a valid position.

I'd also like to add my two cents that Royal Magic is offering some very good deals on their newest releases. The Bannon tricks 'Royal Scam' and 'Duplicity' the David Solomon tricks 'Knaves gone Wild' and 'Thoughts Across' and the new dvd package on magic with an expanded shell. These are all great deals and teriffic tricks with bonus effects thrown in.

We might not need a dvd to learn a packet trick. Most of us here don't but in today's marketplace these are still good deals.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Alton

Postby Alton » July 5th, 2008, 8:15 am

Ryan Matney wrote: To comment on what Tim Trono said. I think what he says above is a resonable assumption to make. IE: Magicians want the editing done for them and want THE BEST trick made available.

I put his quote in since he is a producer and makes his opinion known why. Rather it is right or wrong.

However that's not what is happening at all. Most of the crap is not 'edited' for us at all. It's just the one thing Mr. Magic could think of and whack onto a dvd for $35. So, to my way of thinking, that's not a valid position.

I agree thats why I made the statement that everyone seems to want to be published regardless of working experience with the released product.

As as side note, I am going to be releasing my version of Scarne's Drunken Poker entitled Dry Heaving. It has been honed to perfection over the last 15 years. It will be a home made single effect dvd of my performance during a recent party and it will be available with your choice of a case of beer or half gallon of liquor (please specify your type and brand of preference)and also be including a deck of cards (alcohol and cards aka the Dry Heaving kit). Price will be $70. There will also be a download version available for $35 minus the Dry Heaving kit. Hang over supplements sold seperately. :grin:

I'd also like to add my two cents that Royal Magic is offering some very good deals on their newest releases. The Bannon tricks 'Royal Scam' and 'Duplicity' the David Solomon tricks 'Knaves gone Wild' and 'Thoughts Across' and the new dvd package on magic with an expanded shell. These are all great deals and teriffic tricks with bonus effects thrown in.

We might not need a dvd to learn a packet trick. Most of us here don't but in today's marketplace these are still good deals.

Yep. I hope the marketplace changes soon and with gas prices as high as they are and still rising, it may change sooner than we think. Everyone is going to be bargain shopping (if they aren't already) since some of their expendable cash will be fading going toward $7 a gallon gas (man I hope it don't get there but it isn't going down).

BTW, great discussion guys.

AT

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 5th, 2008, 10:09 am

Think how incredibly stupid and narrow-minded the buying public has become. Think of all the wonderful songs on albums (or CDs) that you discovered that were not the big hit, or the hit song that the record company wanted you to hear. All those other great songs.

Now you're treated like a [censored] brick--you get the one song, or the one trick, the manufacturer WANTS you to like. The hell with the "hidden gems." Think of all the great tricks in the big books I've published, not the famous ones, but the thousands of others that still create great magic in the hands of a magic in front of an audience, or have intellectually stimulated those who enjoy reading and practicing magic for its own sake.

I say to hell with all of the one-trick DVD jerks. Unless you're Rene Lavand, a dynamic performer who has something to offer me by watching him do a trick rather than merely reading about it, I don't need your damn one-trick DVD. You think you gain anything by watching someone do a packet trick on DVD? No. It's just [censored]. There are VERY few performers today whose visual presence in instructions adds anything to most of the crap that's put on the market.

Difficult sleights have a place on a DVD, because it's helpful to see them in order to understand them. But I want a full DVD of material if I'm going to spend any money.

I remember when all of this started: back when Dominique Duvivier's trick "Printing" came out for $25. There was no DVD back then, but I thought to myself, "What the hell is happening? Why would anyone pay $25 for packet trick?" Guess what ... you all bought it. Now you're paying the price.

Alton

Postby Alton » July 5th, 2008, 11:21 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Guess what ... you all bought it. Now you're paying the price.

I agree we have become a product of our own stupidity. Not just in magic either!

AT

RogueMD

Postby RogueMD » July 5th, 2008, 11:34 am

As a practical matter, books are MUCH more convenient as well. Using the proverbial "desert island" scenario...DVDs wont get you very far...one trick or not.

I happen to be a bibliophile and so am naturally prejudiced in such matters; non withstanding, magic "BOOKS" will always be in fashion and remain the standard of instruction for me.

Keep 'em coming Richard...keep 'em coming.

Michael

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » July 7th, 2008, 7:55 pm

James Munton wrote:Hmmm...

At the end of the day, isn't it about quality more than quantity?

I have to admit I am biased since I have my own wonderful one trick DVD coming out soon - Three Card Bunny is on its way!!!

Best,
James

I guess it is a question of quality, but if someone wants me to drop $25 for a version of Color Monte (gaffs included) then the quality of information in the ad had better be pretty high, too. Don't just tell me that the trick is used by "top magicians", tell me who they are. It's going to take a lot of convincing and more than self-praise to sway me. Maybe that's just the discretion that comes with experience. Yes, there are some tricks and magicians that warrant a single trick DVD release, but the list is very, very short and if you reduce it to packet tricks and their varients only, the list is nearly non-existent. The rest are simply the marketeers exploiting both the market and the marks.

e

I'm Eric Rose and I endorse this message.

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 7th, 2008, 11:07 pm

The rest are simply the marketeers exploiting both the market and the marks.

This is not just directed at you Eric, but there seems to be quite a bit of hostility in this thread towards producers and manufacturers.

I think the general quality of products - tricks, DVDS and books - is better now than it ever has been. It wasn't that long ago that magic videos cost as much as $75. Individual tricks were traded "underground" sometimes for ridiculous sums of money.

I think it was Michael Ammar who shared the story of paying $100 for a thumbtip.

Magicians have far greater access to routines than ever before. And the preponderance of magic fora such as this fine site enable people to easily share their opinions and reviews of products so that the purchaser can make an informed buying decision.

The marketplace ultimately decides whether $25 is an appropriate amount for a single trick with DVD. And it would seem that they sell quite well at that price point.

But just so you know, nobody gets rich from these types of releases. The wholesaler typically pays the manufacturer 40% of retail. The retailer pays the manufacturer 60%.

So on a $25 item, the creator will get $10 per unit. Out of that s/he has to pay for the production costs, marketing and advertising, etc. They'll be lucky to make about $6 for each unit sold.

And that is before you factor in the time and energy it takes to produce something like this.

No, I am not doing this to make lots of money and "exploit" people. I am doing it mainly for FUN. It is a vanity project. It's great to put something together, market and sell it.

Just like authors who self-publish, there is a desire to share one's work with others.

Later this week I am traveling back to my old home town of Washington, DC to do a bunch of shows. I've organized a lecture while I am there. I'll have a few products to sell at the end.

But I'm certainly not doing it for the money. I'll make far more from my shows.

The main reason is for the fun of hanging out with a roomful of magicians and showing them what I can do.

Nobody has to buy anything. But if everyone shared the rather mean-spirited attitude of some folks on this thread, nobody would go to the trouble of putting out products.

I think it is a ridiculous notion that people who take the time to put out a magic product do so out of a desire to exploit the customers.

And for those who actually perform for people instead of sitting at home watching magic DVDs all day or spouting nonsense in a magic chat room, $25 for a trick that you can regularly perform at your weekly restaurant gig is an absolute bargain!

But that's just my opinion.

Best,
James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » July 7th, 2008, 11:51 pm

James Munton wrote:But just so you know, nobody gets rich from these types of releases. The wholesaler typically pays the manufacturer 40% of retail. The retailer pays the manufacturer 60%.

Really? I bet Brad Christian of E-llusionist is very amused at this. After all, when you don't have to worry about wholesalers and retailers, you have $100,000 to give away to "celebrities" to do magic on cable and expand your marketing base. Plus you don't even have to burn DVDs . And I'm sure he's not rich at all. Depending on your definition, of course.

Regards,
brian :whistle:

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 8th, 2008, 12:26 am

Brian,

Now you are shifting the goalposts. We were talking about one-trick DVDs.

And again, there is the cynical, negative attitude.

I have no idea about Brad Christian's bank balance. If he is doing well for himself, that's wonderful.

I hear Rocco did alright for himself selling D-Lites.

Is it the one trick DVD you object to, or simply people making money for providing goods or services?

I'm happy to discuss either with you, but can we stick with one topic?

James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Geoff Weber

Postby Geoff Weber » July 8th, 2008, 11:19 am

From the creator's standpoint, if you've invented a trick that is worthy of being marketed, is there a better option than producing it as a DVD? I would submit that there is not. The only other options are magazine submissions, instant downloads, or booklets. Magazines are fine if you aren't interested in profiting from your work, downloads are too easy to steal, and one trick booklets/manuscripts are even more unpopular than one-trick DVDs... (while people moan about the one trick dvds, at least they buy them.)

Gord

Postby Gord » July 8th, 2008, 4:24 pm

I'm a little behind in my reading so I only read the column last night, and cannot agree with Richard more.
The only thing worse than offering a DVD with one lousy trick is buying a DVD with one lousy trick.

Gord

Return to “Feature Articles”