The Fun Shop Cups and Balls

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Kent Gunn

The Fun Shop Cups and Balls

Postby Kent Gunn » June 9th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Greetings oh sage Magi and mavens of the art!

I have for your viewing pleasure, The Fun Shop Cups and Balls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fNO3obSA7M

I know some of you have taken the time to view it before. I have gleefully collected scathing criticism on my patter and unkempt appearance. To be honest I was glad to have a run-through on tape where I didn't flash anywhere, too badly. What I'm trying to say here is, I've collected all the well-intentioned criticism I need. Now this is a pretty wide-open forum. If you must, you must. But I'm informing/advertising that:

If you are interested in the loading techniques or in that last vanish of the blue ball, I've typed the whole thing up and it is available for download, via www.lulu.com You can get a nicely produced hard copy for 30 bucks or 20 bucks for the download of the pdf. I personally recommend the download. The pictures are in color. If you buy the printed version, they're in black and white.

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=2539807

Believe it or not, I actually make my living as a presenter/lecturer of technical information. The document is edited, by people who do that for a living. I work for Nikon. The pictures are clear and convey the necessary information. If anyone would like to provide a review of the material for future abuse by my marketing team, (my marketing team looks suspiciously like the guy's face I shave every moming), I will gladly add it to the hype.

As most of you who have seen this routine know, I use a little discussed gaff. If you are not worldly-wise to this gaff, you won't actually be able to perform the routine without a lot of learning, in a rather arcane specialty of platform magic. My document has a list resources, on how to use the damn thing. It does not go into detail on it. For the vast majority of magicians I would tell them. DON'T BUY THIS THING!

Also . . . this routine uses some severly funky cups. Your combo cups probably won't cut it. I do tell you which models, currently available do work. Jake of Rings and Things is hip to this thing. If I sell enough copies of the manuscript I may beg/plead/bribe him (I'm on his [censored] at the moment) to make some up that will work.

If you think you will be doing this routine with a week, or so, of practice.
DON'T BUY THIS THING!

Knowing all that beforehand.

I will gladly accept your money. If you buy the Fun Shop Cups and Balls, or even if you don't I'm a gadfly and more informed than some on, Jack Miller's marvelous toy and little bag Mr. Davenport pinned in his coat.

A few points to stir the pot: I realize the value of multiple performances, in front of a live audience. I don't have that opportunity. The fat, laconic, old man you see in the videos has come up with a routine that is original and very different from the Vernon and Ammar copycats that dot the landscape. I believe, deeply, in my heart there are a million great cups and balls routines waiting to be discovered. I am an absolute nobody in the magic community. The Fun Shop may not be a great routine, but it's my turd. For me, and only for me, if I'm going to polish a turd, I prefer it to be my own . . .

Pete Biro

Re: The Fun Shop Cups and Balls

Postby Pete Biro » June 10th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Kent: Nice to see you "here".. stay tooned
Stay tooned.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » June 10th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Pete,

Hello, I've not seen you since . . . WMS!!

My marketing team is pervading the magic boards. I see that, here in Genii-Land, the cups don't carry the same level of interest as they do in the land of Oz.

There's lots and lots of good stuff on card magic here though! This is a much more sleight-centric, serious kinda place. I'm going home, with my tail between my legs.

It's kind of intimidating.

KG

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 10th, 2008, 9:13 pm

Kent, don't be surprised that there isn't more immediate response. There are enough cups and balls routine around to choke a dozen horses.

And your post was really long. :)

Somebody watch this damn thing and give the guy some feedback.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » June 11th, 2008, 1:06 am

Richard,

I've long bemoaned the fate of the cups and balls. Tyros like myself thrusting their tawdry routines into the world-weary faces of the cognoscenti.

(Do you have any idea how many attempts at dictionary.com it took to get that one right?)

Add to the pitiful little routine I proffered, the fact that I'm not a working pro and I have all the stage presence of a rusty beer can: is the onus of getting a magician to watch another dreary cups and balls routine. Ah, but . . . the routine is different. Three different colored balls - yes done before by such luminaries as Scotty York and Aldo Columbini. Both of those routines are judged as more than passable.

I work standing. At least you won't have to watch me glance down at my lap and fiddle with my . . . props. I don't get the loads, from my pockets. There are no scoop moves, hand-to-hand transfers nor awful turn over the cup, swing it down and hope no one has an IQ above 70 sequences.

Above all, the pain is over in three minutes. C'mon sports fans, this is a magic forum. Watch the routine, give the guy who posted it some abuse. He deserves it.

Richard, I think you were right about the length of the posting, it seems to be a problem.

Doesn't anybody out there want to play?

Glenn Godsey

Postby Glenn Godsey » June 11th, 2008, 11:58 am

Kent's Cups and Balls is a fabulous routine...and it is the only one that has fooled me in decades. I have seen them all and this one is so ingenious in methodology, I am betting that very few of the most experienced magicians will not be fooled. Kent's work is right up there with Tommy Wonder's.

Buy the download! You will be sorry you didn't when it becomes unobtainable. I don't know Kent....I am just a satisfied customer.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » June 11th, 2008, 10:23 pm

Kent Gunn, an honest, self-depricating, and clever amateur with a good sense of humor. Seems like a nice guy, too.

What's the world coming to?

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » June 12th, 2008, 6:34 am

Some excellent and deceptive ideas can be found in this routine. Everybody interested in the C&Bs should have a look at this clip and will probably be fooled.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » June 12th, 2008, 9:04 am

A real fooler. Nice work, Kent.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 12th, 2008, 12:42 pm

I have seen this several times on video and LIVE... and until I got his publication was constantly baffled by his routine. I have studied the Cups for half a century and he totally nailed me badly. His methods are unique and more than just original. watch his video several times and, be honest, do you really know where the big balls come from?

Then buy the download or hard copy... and you will learn something you can use in many other ways.
Stay tooned.

Magic Mike

Postby Magic Mike » June 12th, 2008, 3:47 pm

Really nice work, Kent.
I am a long time fan of the cups and balls, and yours was a nice departure from the standard fare I'm used to seeing.
You have a great sense of humour.
And you fooled me....bad.
Very nice indeed.
Thank you for posting it.
Cheers,
Mike

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 12th, 2008, 6:01 pm

I love it when things like this happen. When you see a trick you think you kinda know, and then have the rug pulled from under your feet.

Sterling effort, Sir.

Fooled me badly.

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » June 12th, 2008, 9:23 pm

Kent Gunn wrote:
My marketing team is pervading the magic boards. I see that, here in Genii-Land, the cups don't carry the same level of interest as they do in the land of Oz.

There's lots and lots of good stuff on card magic here though! This is a much more sleight-centric, serious kinda place. I'm going home, with my tail between my legs.

It's kind of intimidating.

KG

Kent - I haven't commented here since I did so on "the land of Oz" and didn't wish to appear as if I was following you around the various forums like some shill pushing your product. I don't comment often on any of the forums, but in your case I will repeat my earlier posted opinion that your cups and balls routine is absolutely well worth the attention and study of anyone who is serious about the cups and balls. I only watched one contestant in the close-up contest at the recent World Magic Seminar and that was your performance. It is without a doubt one of the most innovative c&b routines it has been my pleasure to witness in years. Your write up of the routine is extremely well done and most enjoyable to read.

I think you will find there are others here who will also be most favorably impressed by your efforts and appreciate the fact that you have been generous enough to share your creation with other magicians.

Bill
Bill Wells

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 13th, 2008, 1:08 pm

DITTO
Stay tooned.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » June 16th, 2008, 12:39 pm

Bill,

My off-the-wall, daytime gig takes me around the world. I must travel to one of my customer's sites in Richmond; Qimonda Semiconductor. I don't know how far you are from Richmond. If you'd like some cups and balls palaver, drop me a line at:

kgunn@nikon.com

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » June 16th, 2008, 10:28 pm

I've recently returned from the GGG in Foster City (South San Francisco) and saw Kent perform his Cups & Balls for the attendees - Then I saw two world class magicians carefully look over Kent's table, searching for the servant. They didn't have a clue!

For what it's worth coming from me; buy the routine!

Some very good thinking went into this magic.

Dave

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » June 18th, 2008, 8:41 pm

That was a nice routine Kent. You got me on a couple of the loads.
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » June 18th, 2008, 11:07 pm

I really liked the routine, it seemed very fresh for a cups and balls routine. Have you read the Loomis Cups and Balls routine? Your handling, not using the false transfers etc is along the same thinking. At least from the spectator's viewpoint (me), there wasn't any funny moves it was nice. Good Job.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » June 18th, 2008, 11:50 pm

Dave, I couldn't find that darned servante either! I used one at one point in the routine's development though. I think I tried every technique I'd ever read, at one point or another. Those Marlo Magazines still have your name on them.

Walter, Merci,

Scott, I have read Herr Loomis' routine. I bought it directly from him, not long ago. I love his use of arcane sleights! He has a very original routine. Mr. Loomis, has a written an excellent pamphlet on his routine. I would recommend it over my own routine. It is far more transportable. He has thought out how to perform a great routine in any venue! I want to see him perform it someday.

I tried his sleights out, during my research phase. I chose a different path. That has made all the difference.

Also, I, like you, hate funny moves.

KG

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 19th, 2008, 12:45 pm

Kent Gunn wrote:... I have for your viewing pleasure, The Fun Shop Cups and Balls ...

Thanks, that was a fun watch. Great to see some explorations far outside the oft seen Vernon/Ammar work.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » June 19th, 2008, 1:32 pm

The links to lulu.com won't work anymore if you want to buy this thing.

I got the print copy back from Lulu. You can't work up the routine with black and white photos. I've ordered enough copies with color pix to meet demand.

They charge a huge fee to host the downloads. If anyone wants this thing, in print or as a pdf, email me.

kentgunn@gmail.com

I doubt this will ever show up in a magic shop unless you're in Daytona Beach or Sacramento.

Kent

HenningPaul

Postby HenningPaul » June 22nd, 2008, 1:59 pm

Hey Kent,

I'm sure I could fabricate one, but where did you obtain your "device?" Love your methodology!

At your pleasure, you can email me the info at preachersparrow@wi.rr.com

Thanks,

HP

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » June 22nd, 2008, 11:31 pm

Paul,

Best you can buy is at www.bobkohlermagic.com
I think he and his lovely wife are on vacation, at the moment. They'll soon be back on-line.

Other needed chunkie is at www.ammarmagic.com

I don't know which one you were specifically asking about. I've sent an expository email to you.

Kent

Return to “Close-Up Magic”