The Collected Almanac

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Bob Postelnik

The Collected Almanac

Postby Bob Postelnik » June 19th, 2008, 2:58 pm

I have an obscure reference to a version of the Professor's Nightmare that is in Richard's Collected Almanac, but I have been unsuccessful in locating anything related to it in the book. I have slowly leafed through the book twice without finding the article. I did not find it in the cumulative indices or table of contents. Could someone give me the precise location in the book, if one does exist, where it discusses the Professor's Nightmare? Thanks!
Life is a journey, so do not arrive at your grave safe and in a well preserved body. Enjoy the Ride!

Jonathan Townsend

Re: The Collected Almanac

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 19th, 2008, 3:40 pm

Looking through the collected almanac... an Emeril moment -

The Hamman item "Wild all the Way" uses a gaff I've been considering for a progressive assembly for five years now... and there it is in use - wow! or as he would say BAM!! Anyone offering the gaff these days (double ended court Queen with windows?)

Okay - back to looking for that rope trick.

Update - a look through the book later - no find either :( sorry.

Now about that card gaff?
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on June 19th, 2008, 3:49 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: had a good time exploring Richard's Almanac looking for Tlon?

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » June 19th, 2008, 3:45 pm

Can't remember anything on the Prof's Nightmare in "The Collected Almanac"...

Is it possible your obscure note refers to the cool "ending phase" that appeared in "The Penumbra"?:

--When all 3 ropes are the same length, 2 are tied together and spun or twirled. The knot moves untouched toward one end of the ropes, where it's untied and ropes are shown to have returned to their original long & short sizes...

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » June 19th, 2008, 4:08 pm

That could be pretty cool with a reel. Hold the rope taut with three evenly spaced knots, then chant your incantation and one of the knots slowly moves towards one end of the rope, leaving three unequal lengths at the finish.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 19th, 2008, 9:22 pm

I am afraid that at this late date, my aged brain can offer no assistance. But ... just somewhere ... I am having a bit of a hint or so that something just might be related this, but not in the text of any trick. Look elsewhere.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » June 19th, 2008, 10:27 pm

Is it possible you're thinking of Guy Hollingworth's handling of The Professor's Nightmare that appeared in Genii some years ago?

Close

Green Skittle

Postby Green Skittle » June 20th, 2008, 5:16 am

Definately no Professors Nightmare in the Almanac, but Guy Hollingworths version is worth a look, it's in the September 1999 Genii.

Return to “Reference Room”