Vanishing sock

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Tom Gilbert

Vanishing sock

Postby Tom Gilbert » June 12th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Paul Harris is trying to locate the person that showed this to him a while ago, maybe at a Vegas convention? If so, plese PM me.

Tom

magicbar

Re: Vanishing sock

Postby magicbar » June 12th, 2008, 12:51 pm

sounds like a clever premise....describe the effect and let's take a crack at devising a method. I am presuming the sock is on the foot that also has a shoe otherwise it sounds like a simple vanish procedure.

Randy

Postby Randy » June 12th, 2008, 1:27 pm

I'm not sure if this is the same premise but I saw Derek Delgaudio perform a routine recently at The Magic Castle involving socks. He had two separate piles of different colored socks....each colored pair separated into those two piles. In the end, one sock was missing leaving it's colored mate all alone. I seem to remember his patter involving the enigma of the clothes dryer always making a sock dissappear or something to that nature. It was cleaver and very entertaining.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 12th, 2008, 1:40 pm

The trick might be Tomo Maeda's--it was in Genii in July 2003.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » June 12th, 2008, 8:49 pm

Thanks Richard, I'll pass it on.

magicbar

Postby magicbar » June 12th, 2008, 9:08 pm

...well wasn't I way off on what the trick was all about!

Did this presentation have 'conditions' such as some prediction or commitment as to which color would remain/vanish? or perhaps how cleanly the vanish occurred? it sounds too easy if the effect is simply (say,..) 5 pairs of colored socks becomes 4 1/2 pairs.

The effect of a vanishing sock (off the foot) might be accomplished if the sock was gaffed (essentially bottomless) and a pull was rigged to simply pull it up the leg upon command - then have a dup to make it reappear elsewhere or construct a way to make it reappear on the leg and then taken off to show it was a real (ungaffed) sock that vanished.

rkosby

Postby rkosby » June 12th, 2008, 9:40 pm

I believe Chad Long has a sock trick. Paul would have to contact Chad to get the details.

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » June 12th, 2008, 10:12 pm

Randy wrote:I'm not sure if this is the same premise but I saw Derek Delgaudio perform a routine recently at The Magic Castle involving socks. He had two separate piles of different colored socks....each colored pair separated into those two piles. In the end, one sock was missing leaving it's colored mate all alone. I seem to remember his patter involving the enigma of the clothes dryer always making a sock dissappear or something to that nature. It was cleaver and very entertaining.

Sounds similar to the piano trick, except with socks.
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 13th, 2008, 6:16 am

Derek's routine is the piano trick with socks.

It's very entertaining. I have seen him do it in the close up gallery and then later in the parlour.

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » June 13th, 2008, 9:45 am

The sock routine used by Derek was invented by Michael Weber.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 13th, 2008, 10:26 am

I hear it is going to be the subject of Paul Green's next DVD.

(sorry, couldn't resist - I have noted Paul's comment on the Card Warp thread)

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » June 13th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Oh boy, Max that was tooo funny. I hope. Anyway, Paul H said he was an unknown kind of guy and was hoping the guy would stumble across this tread, not sure if he's known at all. Thanks for all of the responses.

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » June 13th, 2008, 7:32 pm

tomg wrote:Oh boy, Max that was tooo funny.

It was not a gag answer. I don't know the inventor of the sock trick that was sought at the start of this thread, but the sock sorting routine used by Derek DelGaudio was invented by Michael Weber.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » June 13th, 2008, 8:48 pm

That's why I put in the "I hope". Never know anymore...
Thanks, I'll let Paul know.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » June 13th, 2008, 9:44 pm

Michael Weber's effect is in print in Lifesavers , I hesitated to post earlier because I was afraid that some might think it a joke. Plus, I hadn't had any time to check the book. The effect is called "Thoughts of Tom Jacobsen." I'm pretty sure I read it in Genii years ago as well but don't have access right now to my older back issues.

rage

Postby rage » June 14th, 2008, 4:06 am

El Mystico wrote:I hear it is going to be the subject of Paul Green's next DVD.

(sorry, couldn't resist - I have noted Paul's comment on the Card Warp thread)

Bad taste! Don't kill a man's character until you have personal evidence to do so yourself.
with an N

David Ben

Postby David Ben » June 14th, 2008, 8:48 am

Michael's routine was first published, I believe, in a Linking Ring Parade I assembled to honor Stewart James in conjunction with NYCAN' 90, a magic convention where Stewart was the Guest of Honor, held in Toronto. So, Michael's routine would have appeared in either the September, October or November 1990 issue of the magazine.

magicbar

Postby magicbar » June 14th, 2008, 11:57 am

To El Mystico - I agree with Rage. I've know Paul and your comment is in very bad taste and deserves an apology. Paul is not only talented, he is ethical.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 14th, 2008, 5:01 pm

Hi to Rage and Magicbar:
a) I'm happy to apologise to anyone who took offense
b) my comment, as I think most people realised from the pms I received - was lightheared in intent, and certainly was not intended to '"kill a man's character"
c) I deliberately edited my post to add a reference to Paul's comment on the Card Warp thread, to try to ensure that any who were concered about Paul's behaviour were dircted to his response on the issue of whether he stole Weber's routine, in case any had missed it.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”