Some idiot on www.youtube.com revieled Fantasio cane!

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Some idiot on www.youtube.com revieled Fantasio cane!

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2008, 9:51 am

Hello.I am verry angry on one idiot on yourtube.He revealed Fantasio vanishing and appearing cane.Here is a link to the idiot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlaScigpxY4 He revieled not only this great magic effect but some other magic props.Can he revieled all that stuff.I have magic act with canes and candles and is one of my favorites.Why the helll thas he revieled it!If I was in the USA i lill find him and beat him to death.He is like the Mask Idiot only more ugly.He revealed and othermagic props.Well ,I dont use the Crystal silk cilinder but thats not the point.THIS IS CLASSIC!If someone wants to wearn triks to go to magic shops or magic sites.My question to you is -Can that men be stopt? :mad:

Re: Some idiot on www.youtube.com revieled Fantasio cane!

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2008, 10:43 am

I think you will find that the vast majority of people on this forum are also upset at any type of exposure. That being said, you may want to refrain from making death threats, no matter how angry you may be at that time. Something to think about.

I would not focus on this exposure. Keep doing your act. If it is entertaining and engaging, your audience won't care how it's done anyway.

Good luck.

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2008, 11:35 am

Originally posted by Don Danini:
Hello.I am verry angry on one idiot on yourtube.He revealed Fantasio vanishing and appearing cane.Here is a link to the idiot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlaScigpxY4 He revieled not only this great magic effect but some other magic props.Can he revieled all that stuff.I have magic act with canes and candles and is one of my favorites.Why the helll thas he revieled it!If I was in the USA i lill find him and beat him to death.He is like the Mask Idiot only more ugly.He revealed and othermagic props.Well ,I dont use the Crystal silk cilinder but thats not the point.THIS IS CLASSIC!If someone wants to wearn triks to go to magic shops or magic sites.My question to you is -Can that men be stopt? :mad:
Harv, is that you?

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » January 9th, 2008, 4:59 pm

Originally posted by Don Danini:
If I was in the USA i lill find him and beat him to death.
Wow. You may want to consider switching to decaf.

A somewhat less messy way by which you can express your opinion about this is to contact David via his web site. He may be interested to know your position on exposure.

John

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2008, 5:50 pm

"...beat him to death..."

"...Fantasio canes..."

Here's a unique opportunity for a glimpse at the strange workings of my "brain"...

Did the above 2 phrases remind anyone else of the following story from the 80s?:

A magician on a subway (I believe) coming home from a gig.
He was about to get mugged, when he pulled out a silk, waved it, and said if he wasn't left alone, it would hurt the attacker more than he could imagine.
Needless to say the thug was sceptical.
The magi instantly, visibly changed the silk into a walking-stick which indeed scared away the would-be assailant.
--THE best magic vs. mugger routine ever, until David Copperfield's "showing pockets empty while holding-out your phone ruse" years later...

P.S.
Murder for exposure?
--Maybe if you catch the masked magician "revealing secrets" to your girlfriend in bed...Hey: It could happen!

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2008, 6:02 pm

HA! Except for a LOT of incorrect details (70s, not 80s; 3 muggers, not 1; Times Square, not a subway...) I got it EXACTLY right...

:rolleyes:

From New York Times archives (all the info I could copy and paste without paying a fee for the article...)

"Article Preview

Muggers Pick on Magician and Are Taught a Trick or Two

By LESLIE MAITLAND
September 3, 1977,Saturday
Page 13, 905 words

Tony Echavarria, a street magician who swallows fire and makes coins vanish, turned up in Criminal Court yesterday and told how he turned a silk scarf poof into a cane and dazzled three alleged muggers in Times Square until the police arrived."

VIVA Echavarria!

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Dear Dave Castle,

I want to book you for a party. We're having it in Sofia, Bulgaria, so I'll pay for your ticket and your fee. Please leave your mother at home. My driver, Don Danini will pick you up at the airport.

He loves magic. Be sure to demonstrate Fantasio's Vanishing Cane for him before you get in his car.

I'll have your check waiting at the party if...I mean when you get there.

Best,

David Alexander :whack:

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2008, 8:33 pm

I remember that news story! In fact I think I have it in my scrap book. And I'm in California so it made the papers out here.

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2008, 8:36 pm

I'm just glad he didn't expose the Walsh Vanishing Cane, so I will still be able to mystify my audiences!

Seriously, though, this guy is a valuable resource. He passes along so much information that you couldn't glean by not reading the instructions. We all owe him a big "Thank you!"

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2008, 8:58 pm

Originally posted by David Alexander:
Dear Dave Castle,

I want to book you for a party. We're having it in Sofia, Bulgaria, so I'll pay for your ticket and your fee. Please leave your mother at home. My driver, Don Danini will pick you up at the airport.

He loves magic. Be sure to demonstrate Fantasio's Vanishing Cane for him before you get in his car.

Best,

David Alexander :whack:
Nicely done.

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Besides being the president of LearnMagicTricks.org, Dave J Castle is a working magician who boasts over 50 engagements a month. He is young, good-looking (in a goofy, Mr. Rogers kind of way) and articulate. There is no reason to think that Castle won't continue to succeed as a performer (so long as Danini doesn't catch up with him). Why he would threaten his own livelihood is bewildering. I think a Genii article would be interesting that we might hear his point of view, and perhaps more intimately acquaint him with ours.

Postby Guest » January 10th, 2008, 1:38 am

quote:

Originally posted by David Alexander:
Dear Dave Castle,

Best,

David Alexander
Thats an idea!
Well i think that Dave J.Castle have to revialed things that doesnt needed props.Things that he invented or find out in old magic book.But he has to understand that this clips on yourtube are not only ''visible'' to magichians and biginners but also to people that will never do magic.And in my country if the public know how th ttric is done nometter how good you are in it , they will stop watching you.Thanks God that never happen to me but I was seen how it happens to my friends magichians.I dont hate Dave J. Castle but that what he is doing is not good for magic!

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » January 17th, 2008, 8:53 pm

Dave Castle is a putz who should be forced to watch the 21 card trick for 90 days without sleeping.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Mark Pettey

Postby Mark Pettey » January 29th, 2008, 10:38 am

Thank you Bill, I just did a spit take all over the computer screen ! I love dark humor.

I wonder how Mr. "Valuable Resource" would feel if someone videoed his show and did a blow by blow exposure of his act for his faithful YouTube folowers ? "Putz" is too nice a description....
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
ROBBiE the RiNGMASTER'S
CiRCUS of MAGiC!

Sue Anne Webster

Postby Sue Anne Webster » March 7th, 2008, 3:39 pm

We've finally got a reply from Dave J Castle after an article I wrote about him on our blog Blog Article

Here is what Dave J Castle has to say about his exposure of magic:

Dear Ellis & Webster,
It is very interesting that you are making allegations that my company is engaging in theft and wrong doing when both of you have directly violated copyright law by utilizing my original "magic performance" pictures from one of my commercial websites without permission. As for the complaints that site is a bad site, I do not share your viewpoint. The website helps thousands of people all over the world learn the art of magic who may have not had the opportunity otherwise. Also, it gives individuals a place to chat with each other and build friendships.

Furthermore, the website primarily just organizes magic videos (tutorials and performance) videos that are already hosted somewhere else such as youtube, metacafe, etc. If you have a serious concern about the distribution of magic videos that reveal magic you should probably contact the actual distributors, however, since teaching magic is not illegal, I am not sure that your time and effort will yield the results you would like. The world is becoming more digital everyday and there are going to be major changes in the way things happen in our world. I have tried encouraging magicians to adapt to this new wave but many want to live in the past and not change. One example that would help magicians would be to create products that Require the person to buy a gimmick this way even if the idea is out of the bag people will still have to buy something from them. I think it is very interesting the magicians think they can invent a trick and the idea will not get shared all over the world for free, they must be living in a fantasy world, whether this is right or wrong it is occuring not just in the magic niche but in many industries and the smart people will adapt to the new paradigm. Also, it is interesting that people come after me because I teach magic when several major entertainers, for example Penn and Teller reveal magic all the time and generally on TV with millions of people watching but yet many people in the magic community still respect them.
I have also seen other major names in the magic community doing tutorial videos for all to see and it seems to becoming more common.

I hope that this post has given you some information to think about and that you will begin to understand other people's viewpoint on this issue.

Dave J. Castle

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » March 7th, 2008, 8:59 pm

I think the public has made it mind up about Dave J. Castle. Go here and read the comments posted on one of his YouTube "tutorials." While a few compliment him, the rest are brutal...but accurate.

He hardly garners the respect he seems to want from the very public he's supposedly teaching. I especially liked the kid who thought Dave was a mix of "Borat and an OWL."

You would think that sort of feedback would dissuade anyone, but Dave J. Castle has the sort of self-image that Bill Shatner would admire. No amount of evidence will persuade him that he's wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet? ... %3Drelated

Mark Phillips
Favorite Magician: Mac King

Postby Mark Phillips » March 8th, 2008, 8:18 am

Napoleon Dynamite indeed. I love the guy's defender who cited his 50 paid performances each month. It reminds me of a joke with the punchline, "Who gave you the quarter? All of them silly!"
Go practice.

David Devlin

Postby David Devlin » June 10th, 2008, 1:42 pm

I saw one of his "tutorials" in which he refered to himself as a CEO. I nearly pissed myself laughing so hard.

naquada

Postby naquada » June 11th, 2008, 3:46 am

Tim Ellis wrote:We've finally got a reply from Dave J Castle after an article I wrote about him on our blog Blog Article

Here is what Dave J Castle has to say about his exposure of magic:

Dear Ellis & Webster,
It is very interesting that you are making allegations that my company is engaging in theft and wrong doing when both of you have directly violated copyright law by utilizing my original "magic performance" pictures from one of my commercial websites without permission. As for the complaints that site is a bad site, I do not share your viewpoint. The website helps thousands of people all over the world learn the art of magic who may have not had the opportunity otherwise. Also, it gives individuals a place to chat with each other and build friendships.

Furthermore, the website primarily just organizes magic videos (tutorials and performance) videos that are already hosted somewhere else such as youtube, metacafe, etc. If you have a serious concern about the distribution of magic videos that reveal magic you should probably contact the actual distributors, however, since teaching magic is not illegal, I am not sure that your time and effort will yield the results you would like. The world is becoming more digital everyday and there are going to be major changes in the way things happen in our world. I have tried encouraging magicians to adapt to this new wave but many want to live in the past and not change. One example that would help magicians would be to create products that Require the person to buy a gimmick this way even if the idea is out of the bag people will still have to buy something from them. I think it is very interesting the magicians think they can invent a trick and the idea will not get shared all over the world for free, they must be living in a fantasy world, whether this is right or wrong it is occuring not just in the magic niche but in many industries and the smart people will adapt to the new paradigm. Also, it is interesting that people come after me because I teach magic when several major entertainers, for example Penn and Teller reveal magic all the time and generally on TV with millions of people watching but yet many people in the magic community still respect them.
I have also seen other major names in the magic community doing tutorial videos for all to see and it seems to becoming more common.

I hope that this post has given you some information to think about and that you will begin to understand other people's viewpoint on this issue.

Dave J. Castle

its not enough that he explains a trick.. he also blatantly states "this is a trick you can buy.." "if you were to buy this trick.." "this trick is by.. and sold by.." and then goes on to show it warts and all so you dont have to buy it...!!

his argument about the videos being hosted else where, is complete crap.. copyright infringement now applies to linking to, as well as hosting copyrighted material..

and he's got bad hair...
Member of The Magic Circle
www.magicconventionguide.com

naquada

Postby naquada » June 11th, 2008, 3:56 am

thinking about it.. he runs google adsense on his site...

under the terms of google adsense you may not use adsense on sites that (amongst other requirements) feature :

"Any other content that is illegal, promotes illegal activity, or infringes on the legal rights of others"

I would suggest everyone that doesnt like his video's go to

https://www.google.com/adsense/support/ ... h=Continue

and fill in the form, siting the url as learnmagictricks (dot) org

and 'This site is distributing someone else's copyrighted material, possibly without permission.'

under Violation details say that he is exposing and explaining copyrighted material that is available for purchase that he does not have the copyright or permission of the author, publisher, designer, inventor or seller to do so. He also clearly states that what he is about to explain is a purchasable effect, and 'will save you having to buy it'

if google investigate and fine it breaches the terms and conditions, then his adsense will be closed and he'll be banned from taking part in it again, his current revenue amount will be frozen, and any uncashed google cheques will be canceled.

Elliot Gorton

Postby Elliot Gorton » June 11th, 2008, 9:48 am

naquada wrote:thinking about it.. he runs google adsense on his site...

under the terms of google adsense you may not use adsense on sites that (amongst other requirements) feature :

"Any other content that is illegal, promotes illegal activity, or infringes on the legal rights of others"

I would suggest everyone that doesnt like his video's go to

https://www.google.com/adsense/support/ ... h=Continue

and fill in the form, siting the url as learnmagictricks (dot) org

and 'This site is distributing someone else's copyrighted material, possibly without permission.'

under Violation details say that he is exposing and explaining copyrighted material that is available for purchase that he does not have the copyright or permission of the author, publisher, designer, inventor or seller to do so. He also clearly states that what he is about to explain is a purchasable effect, and 'will save you having to buy it'

if google investigate and fine it breaches the terms and conditions, then his adsense will be closed and he'll be banned from taking part in it again, his current revenue amount will be frozen, and any uncashed google cheques will be canceled.

Done and done!
www.savetheinternet.com
www.myspace.com/elliotgorton
http://twitter.com/elliotmagic

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » June 11th, 2008, 10:27 am

Although I think anyone who exposes magic is a jackass and should be metaphorically horsewhipped, exposure of the mechanics of a piece of magic apparatus is not a violation of copyright (at least as I understand copyright).

Copyright law protects how information is expressed - copyright does not protect the information itself. In the words of the U.S. Copyright office, "Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed."

See this site for more information: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-g ... ml#protect

naquada

Postby naquada » June 11th, 2008, 11:03 am

Bob Cunningham wrote:Although I think anyone who exposes magic is a jackass and should be metaphorically horsewhipped, exposure of the mechanics of a piece of magic apparatus is not a violation of copyright (at least as I understand copyright).

Copyright law protects how information is expressed - copyright does not protect the information itself. In the words of the U.S. Copyright office, "Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed."

See this site for more information: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-g ... ml#protect

hmmm weird... either way... if google / youtube get enough flags.. they might consider shutting down either...

I know google are very funny about how the ads are used...

magicbar

Postby magicbar » June 13th, 2008, 11:46 am

I don't think the exposure guys on youtube, etc are much of a threat since one must search for them and I am not threatened by people that search for magic exposure. This is different than the ones on broadcast TV that promote the exposure and come into your home - basically searching the viewer out. They get to see it whether they want to or not with little to no effort on their part.

A problem might occur if one of these exposure guys creates a video that goes viral and that catches the eye of the curious as it circulates - similar to broadcast. I still don't know of any effect that has lost its (long-term) value from exposure. Value is usually lost from a bad performance (or over-exposure/ popularity - but that is perhaps a topic of another thread).

kendavis

Postby kendavis » July 29th, 2008, 4:49 pm

I think a complaint would have more effect if it came from directly from Fantasio. Why not a law suit! If enough of these amateurs had to pay a lawyer on an hourly basis to defend themselves, it may make them think twice before revealing a trick. Even if they win the suit they are going to shell out a lot of money.

IBM and SAM should join hands and offer legal services to some of the manufactures.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”