Appearing Broom

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Umpa Duze

Appearing Broom

Postby Umpa Duze » June 5th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Hi All,
I have been considering purchasing an appearing broom. I have found two types, one for about $35 and another for around $95. Other than the style of the brooms, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the difference in quality or durability of the two.

The $35 model can be found at
http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Magic- ... __1981.htm

and the $95 model at
http://www.howtodotricks.com/Stage.html

I would appreciate any help I can get.
Cheers,
Umpa
Cheers,
Umpa Duze

Spellbinder

Re: Appearing Broom

Postby Spellbinder » June 6th, 2008, 3:23 am

It's something you can make yourself for about $2, and is one of the many effects described for converting Dollar Store brooms into magic brooms, wands, canes, and staffs in the Dollar Store e-Book on my site entitled "Broomstick Witchcraft."

But if you insist on buying one of the two items mentioned in your post, I'd have to recommend the least expensive one in order to make your lesson in magic store ecconomics as painless as possible.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Umpa Duze

Postby Umpa Duze » June 7th, 2008, 2:30 am

Hi,
Thanks for the response. I have built one, but I am not sure that it operates as smoothly/quietly as I would like, nor is the handle as thin as I would like to make it appear normal. The raw materials for the type of appearing broom I know about are somewhat difficult to cut cleanly, and require a great deal of heat to re-form the material to a smaller diameter. I was hoping the commercial models would be cleaner (no pun intended) and address the thickness of the pole. I need to be able to turn a standard grocery bag over and "pour out" the broom. If the material on your website can help me with this issue, I would be happy to purchase the instructions. If you get the chance, I would appreciate your thoughts on all of this and ask that you please let me know whether or not the e-instructions you offer will meet my needs.

Thanks,
Unpa
Cheers,

Umpa Duze

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » June 7th, 2008, 3:29 am

If you have already built one, then you probably don't need the instructions. Instead, you need to see one or both of those commercially built models in real life and in action. Having built one, you would immediately be able to tell if one or the other would meet your needs from a quick inspection.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Umpa Duze

Postby Umpa Duze » June 7th, 2008, 11:43 am

Hi,
That really is my problem. I live in a remote rural community hundreds of miles from the closest dealer. I was hoping that someone here with experience with one of the commercially available props could shed some light on this. I think in the end you are right, I will have to wait until I can get my hands on the real products to really know. But, I hate to spend the extra $60 if there is little difference between the two models.

Thanks Again,
Umpa
Cheers,

Umpa Duze

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 7th, 2008, 12:12 pm

You should buy the one from the originator, Wayne Rogers, not the cheap copy. Support invention, and those who invent, or there'll be no new tricks.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » June 7th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Based on the picture at The Trickery (which is where you end up if you click the second link above and then click the "Appearing Broom" link) and the price (which matches the price at Wayne Rogers site), this probably is the Wayne Rogers product. (I can't vouch for The Trickery personally since I've never purchased from them, but I've not seen any complaints about them either.)

JMD

Umpa Duze

Postby Umpa Duze » June 8th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Thanks Richard and John. I appreciate your thoughts. I agree regarding the importance of supporting innovation within the magic community. I am heading to SF at the end of the month and look forward to checking out the Wayne Rogers product.

Cheers,
Umpa
Cheers,

Umpa Duze

Umpa Duze

Postby Umpa Duze » July 7th, 2008, 11:17 pm

Hi All,
Thanks again for your thoughts on the appearing broom. I just recieved the Wayne Rogers version and I am really happy with it. It is nicely constructed, the set-up is quick and clean and it looks great.

Cheers,
Umpa

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”