Where to go in Paris?

Post topics about the business side of magic.
Michel Andenmatten

Where to go in Paris?

Postby Michel Andenmatten » May 18th, 2008, 5:20 pm

I am sure I have seen this question on the board before, but the "search" function did not turn up anything, so here it is again.

I am in Paris next week and would be grateful for recommendations where to go. For example, what is the best place to buy magic books?

Thanks very much,

Michel

Scott M.

Re: Where to go in Paris?

Postby Scott M. » May 18th, 2008, 5:48 pm

There are several magic stores in Paris, although some are just tiny shops without much selection. The two I'd recommend visiting are Duvivier's shop, Mayette Magic (8 rue des Carmes) and Magic Dream (18, Rue George Bernard Shaw). The latter probably has a bigger selection. I can't remember what their book selection is like, but I do remember a lot of videos. Mayette is smaller but they carry a number of unexpected things from the States like copies of Antinomy magazine. Alexandra Duvivier is a great demonstrator and quite nice. When I stopped in I didn't want to leave without buying something so I picked up deck of cards and one of the Mayette Magic packet tricks and she wound up throwing in a set of her dad's lecture notes for free.

There's also a magic themed restaurant, the Double Fond. I've never been, but this is their anniversary year and they are staging a number of shows and lectures. The Buck Twins were there earlier, I believe Gaeton Bloom is there next week, and Alexandra Duvivier is doing a show herself, I think, the week you are there. There's also the magic museum near St. Paul -- can't remember the name. It's got a small shop with, at least when I've been there, a hostile employee, but if you're into seeing vintage posters and old props, you can check it out.

If you want to be really enterprising, try and see if Bebel is performing somewhere. I've seen his card work on video and it's amazing. He is supposed to perform on the streets near St. Michel but I've never been able to see him.

Michel Andenmatten

Postby Michel Andenmatten » May 19th, 2008, 4:47 am

Thank you, Scott. That is very helpful.

Mats Kjellstrom
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Postby Mats Kjellstrom » May 19th, 2008, 12:10 pm

French Magic Portal:

http://www.virtualmagie.com/

Nick

Postby Nick » May 19th, 2008, 1:40 pm

Scott M. wrote:There's also the magic museum near St. Paul -- can't remember the name. It's got a small shop with, at least when I've been there, a hostile employee, but if you're into seeing vintage posters and old props, you can check it out.

The museum is Georges Proust's Academie de Magie, 11 rue saint Paul, an easy walk from Notre Dame cathedral. The museum is really worth seeing if you have any interest at all in magic history, especially in Robert-Houdin.

The store area is not laid out like the usual magic store in the US (the few of them that are left), that is, with glass display cases and shelves behind the counter crammed with apparatus and books. There are some things for sale on display, but most of the merchandise is out of sight. You'll get more "respect" from the person behind the counter if you ask for something specific rather than "quoi de nouveau?" (What's new?)

The Academie (museum and store) is only open Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday, 2-7 pm.
Nick

raj k

Postby raj k » May 19th, 2008, 1:58 pm

I highly recommend The Double Fond as well. The venue is very unique and highly entertaining. My French is minimal to non-existent but when Mr. Duvivier performs, the magic transcends the language barrier. The format of his close-up theater is exactly how close-up should be exhibited complete with raked seating, intimate viewing, climate controlled, stage lighting, and projection viewing. My experience here has been one of my all time favorite magic performances I've been exposed to. Check the schedule before going. Be sure to check out the WC upstairs (bathroom)...absolutely hilarious....!!

Magic Museum - Translated via Bablefish The magic museum is a great stop in a cave like setting. Its geared toward tourist, and there were many kids when I visited. Many antique props, and a small close-up show at the end of the tour. The requisite magic shop is minimal. When I was there, they showed me much respect (particularly given my language deficiency) and gave me a complementary poster, which is still one of my faves.

When I return, these two spots are on my list to re-visit.
-rk

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » May 19th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Nick wrote:
Scott M. wrote:You'll get more "respect" from the person behind the counter if you ask for something specific rather than "quoi de nouveau?" (What's new?)

The Academie (museum and store) is only open Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday, 2-7 pm.

My French is lousy, so I guessed I'm doomed to no respect.

Robinmago

Postby Robinmago » May 20th, 2008, 2:57 am

Near Notre Dame(and also on other places),along the Seine there are the famous bouquinistes,they sell used books.You can be lucky and find old magic books.Generally they are wrapped,so you should already know the names of the authors,titles,or just try your chance.Also the big"naughty"French reviews generally have a magician in the cast.If I remember well,at Mayette they do have magic programs available.

Alessandro.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 20th, 2008, 6:50 am

I totally agree with the recommendations for the DoubleFond. It is an astounding venue. Unique and wonderful. Go.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » May 20th, 2008, 7:52 am

The link Mats Kjellstrom gave above is useful:

http://www.virtualmagie.com/

Click on "Boutiques" for magic shop addresses. I used to like Paris Magic (Guy Lore), though it's been a while since I was there.

The Double Fond website is here:

http://www.doublefond.com/

Click on "Plan d'accs" for a map and opening times.

Bon voyage!

Yilou

Postby Yilou » May 20th, 2008, 12:00 pm

As Valerie's husband and living in Paris...we wish you all the best for your trip overhere.
As already noticed, Paris Magic Shops to visit: Duvivier's shop, Mayette Magic (8 rue des Carmes 75005) and Magic Dream (18, Rue George Bernard Shaw 75015)....Paris Magic (Guy Lore) doesn't exist anymore.
Don't miss "Muse de la Magie et de la Curiosit, Georges Proust's,(11 rue Saint Paul 75004 Tel. 0142721326) with its new automata museum.
About Magic Restaurants....A great place to go is Jan Madd's boat
along the Scene river below Notre-Dame "Quai des Tournelles" ....Metamorphosis...( Tel. 0143540808). Food and magic show are just great.
Double-fond (belonging to Duvivier) is a nice place to go, but Magic bar only.(1 place March Sainte Catherine 75004 Tel. 0142714020).
Talking of Bebel, one of the greatest Card Magic Magician, you may be can see him at his table, if you have the chance, on the corner of Boulevard Saint Germain and Rue de Buci 75006, after 11 pm.
If you need any other information about Paris, don't hesitate to ask.
Wish you a great trip..Gilles

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » May 20th, 2008, 5:16 pm

Hi Gilles,

I wasn't the original poster but someone who answered his questions -- thanks for the tip on Bebel -- I've always wanted to see him and never known when to go. I will try to check him out on my next trip.

Best,

Scott

willamblack01

Postby willamblack01 » May 20th, 2010, 6:39 am

The Best times to visit Paris are the months of March, June or September and it is famous for the shopping activity.The city of light has many of the world's most visited attractions, such as the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and Arc de Triomphe.

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”