Multiplying Candles (Fantasio)

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
smokemist

Multiplying Candles (Fantasio)

Postby smokemist » May 15th, 2008, 12:04 pm

I'm trying to locate the multiplying candles which some performers such as Fantasio have used on stage..
(not the common fantasio candles)

These are small 3" or so sized candles, which seem to be dissconected from one another. ( Different from the other connected-nested candles) They do not appear to have the flesh colored finger pegs either.

Any leads would be great.

Thanks.

David Alexander

Re: Multiplying Candles (Fantasio)

Postby David Alexander » May 15th, 2008, 9:48 pm

You're probably thinking Loyd. Try Owen Magic Supreme. I think they still make good ones, when available.

Or try Martinka auction. Someone may have a set they're will to part with. Be prepared to pay.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » May 16th, 2008, 11:46 pm

The Loyd candles had no finger clips and were rather difficult to grip in use. Owen added two clips for the most difficult candle to grip. They also added a series of "small bumps" to another portion of the apparatus to improve grip. In addition, Owen changed the shape of the floating tank from hemispherical to cylindrical.

The best candles I've seen and handled are the Owen. Considering the work involved in making the set of four, they are bargain priced.

The Loyd version work well. It's just that, as made, they are rather difficult to hold in use. I've seen modified and even modified Loyd candles myself to improve the grip. Modifications included adding texturing and finger clips.

The Owen candles are available new from Owen Magic Supreme in Azusa. However both Owen and Loyd do show up on magic auctions.

This effect is most convincing if there is some distance between the performer and the audience.

BTW - you can see a not too bad routine with the Loyd candles on the Don Alan Magic Ranch DVD set from Todd Karr. The performer surprisingly is Sam Berland. The candles are by far the best thing he does on the DVD.

Jim

Mats Kjellstrom
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Postby Mats Kjellstrom » May 17th, 2008, 3:52 am

smokemist

Postby smokemist » May 18th, 2008, 12:32 am

Tim Star seems like a great guy... i may go with his stuff

thanks guys.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » May 18th, 2008, 12:47 am

One of the finest exponents of the Multiplying Candles was Aubrey (James Crabe). He did beautifuly work, winning prizes when he was a youngster...performing with the skill and presentation of an experienced adult.

He went on to be a prize-winning cinematographer, dying far too soon in 1989. He was only in his late 50s. He had a number of appearances on You Asked For It and I believe he did the candles on one program. It would be worth the trouble to dig up his performance as it would be an excellent source to learn the presenation and timing.

I saw him in person and he was marvelous. Those of you who have seen the Disembodied Princess with the bare legs have seen what was his original design. He was extremely clever and one hell of a good performer.

Mats Kjellstrom
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Postby Mats Kjellstrom » May 19th, 2008, 1:28 am

I have Tim Star candles and they are great, sure.
Its true quality.

Mitch Dutton

Postby Mitch Dutton » June 10th, 2008, 4:59 pm

Denny Haney sent out an email saying he has a few new sets of Owen candles in stock - $340.00 per set!

Lestat

Postby Lestat » October 25th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Hello, Dimmare here. I have a set of Loyd's Candles. Spares from My act if your still looking. I bought them 3 years ago from Ken Klosterman they were in his collection. I'm going to be putting them on ebay in a few hours. $475.00 plus insured shipping.
Excellent condition. Original paint I believe. performers and Collectors dream

LMK if your interested. I take paypal.

Dimmare

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » November 4th, 2014, 3:37 am

James, Lestat... really. What is it about dove manipulators and vampires, besides the tux and tails?

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”