Herb Zarrow passes

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Meir Yedid

Herb Zarrow passes

Postby Meir Yedid » May 11th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Very sad to report that Herb Zarrow (November 4, 1925-May 11, 2008) passed away this afternoon at the age of 82. Services will be held on Tuesday May 13th at 1:30pm at Temple Sholom (385 Howland Ave) in River Edge, New Jersey. Phone: 201-489-2463.

Eric DeCamps

Re: Herb Zarrow passes

Postby Eric DeCamps » May 11th, 2008, 4:00 pm

This is very sad news. Herb was a big influence and a great friend.
This is is a tremendous loss for all of us.

Knowing and spending time with Herb not only made me a better magician, it made me a better person.
Our thoughts and hearts are with Phylis and the entire Zarrow family.

Eric DeCamps

John Carney

Postby John Carney » May 11th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Very saddened by this..........Herb was a terrific guy. He was creative, skillful and knowledgeable.

But what impressed me most was Herb himself. Always very modest and a total gentleman. The world would be a better place if as many adopted his integrity and character as much his wonderful magic.

He will be sorely missed.........but long remembered.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 11th, 2008, 4:39 pm

Wow, unexpected news.
My condolences to Phyllis and his family.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » May 11th, 2008, 5:41 pm

Herb was a very kind man and a very creative magician. He will be missed by everyone that knew him. RIP.
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 11th, 2008, 6:33 pm

Meir: I'm terribly upset; breathless. Please; what terrible news. Obviously, condolences to Phyllis and family. HARRY LORAYNE.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 11th, 2008, 7:47 pm

Sad news indeed. My condolences to his family and friends. And thank you Mr. Zarrow for everything you gave us.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 11th, 2008, 8:07 pm

I've heard that Herb was in and out of the hospital for almost the past two months. In the hospital for a month, then out, then back in, then back home. He was thought to be getting better.

David Corsaro

Postby David Corsaro » May 11th, 2008, 8:21 pm

I consider myself VERY lucky that I got to spend years with Herb and consider myself privileged that Herb Zarrow considered me his friend.

I will miss you greatly Herb.
My new DVD ("Magic of David Corsaro") is available from your favorite dealer www.davidcorsaro.com

Levent

Postby Levent » May 11th, 2008, 9:10 pm

I am so sad to hear this. Herb was a wonderful man!

I offer my condolences to Phyllis and the rest of his family.

Levent

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 11th, 2008, 9:44 pm

I've had several people ask about sending flowers and cards to Herb's wife, Phyllis.

NO flowers, please.

Cards may be sent to:

Phyllis Zarrow
5-28 Karl Street
Fair Lawn, NJ 07410

Chad Nipper

Postby Chad Nipper » May 11th, 2008, 10:21 pm

Tough news to hear. My condolences.

Chad Nipper

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 11th, 2008, 10:28 pm

Our loss - he was a nice guy.
Once asked him about his shuffle - he smiled and did a little dance. That would have made a great little video clip to remember him by.

Goodbye Herb.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » May 12th, 2008, 2:07 am

Ah, such sad news.

I'm so glad that the recent "Zarrow" cover issue of Genii was published before he passed. Having the record set straight in print as it was in that issue had to have been of great satisfaction to him.
The MacGician®

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » May 12th, 2008, 2:32 am

Wow. As John said above, Herb Zarrow was always a gentleman, first and foremost. His soft demeanor and gentle approach almost hid the talented man within. I am proud to have become friends with "Uncle" Herb and Phyllis over the past twenty years. Two of the most generous people I have had the pleasure of knowing. My thoughts go out to Phyllis and the rest of the family.

Another legend is gone... but never forgotten.

Sleep well, Uncle Herb... and thanks.
- DO

Pepka

Postby Pepka » May 12th, 2008, 3:43 am

One of the sweetest people I had ever met. Constantly interested in what YOU did and what YOU were doing. He always had a passion for magic and was so kind to share his wisdom and advice.

We'll miss you Herb.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » May 12th, 2008, 5:19 am

I met Herb one day up at Tannen's (when it was on Broadway and he was their accountant) and Tony Spina introduced us. I had the chutzpa to ask him when he was going to write his own book. He laughed it off.

I got to know him better over the years. As John Carney said, he was a gentleman and, even though hew had reasons not to, he loved magic like a kid.

Phyllis loved him so much that she supported him in his magical quest. I last chatted to the two of them in 2005 at The Magic Circle Centenary Celebrations.

I am very glad that the Zarrow book is being written at last, and that Meir Yedid had the presence of mind (and the powers of persuasion) to caption Herb on video.

Herb Zarrow wasn't a professional magician, but he was a sleight of hand expert of the first order and a true lover of magic.

I will miss his smiling presence.

Matt Field

Stan Willis

Postby Stan Willis » May 12th, 2008, 6:16 am

I am deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Herb Zarrow. My condolences most certainly go out to his wife and family.
Several years ago I was privileged to attend the Herb Zarrow Lecture held at the John McNicolas Roundtable in Linden, New Jersey. Herb did some amazing things that night with the cards. There have been some performances of the Zarrow Shuffle while standing up but I will always remember that when it came time for Herb to do his famous Zarrow Shuffle he said to the audience " I'm going to sit down for this one." I have done the Zarrow Shuffle that way ever since.......sitting down!
Thank You Herb. God Bless!

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » May 12th, 2008, 6:43 am

So sorry to hear this news. Every time I met Mr. Zarrow, he was as patient, kind, modest, and attentive as I was awed and starstruck. This is a sad day for magic, but an even sadder one for Mrs. Zarrow, who I'm sure will be in the thoughts and prayers of many.

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » May 12th, 2008, 10:54 am

I was hoping to get one more trip up north to visit with both Herb and Phyllis, but I guess that won't be. I met them both in 1975 when I joined the Rouclere Assembly #25, and we became good friends. He was always the gracious host who never spoke badly about anyone, a superb magician who was always willing to help you out.

Every year, during the Christmas meeting, Herb would perform a card effect that stupified me. He never tipped it....just smiled whenever he did it 'cause he knew I loved it!! Thanks Herb.

We will all miss you!!!

Adrian

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » May 12th, 2008, 11:19 am

Broken Wand - Herb Zarrow

Message from George Schindler

Herb Zarrow Dies at 82

May 11, 2008.- The Society of American Magicians regrets the passing of Life Member Herb Zarrow.

82-year-old Zarrow died of pneumonia this afternoon.

Services will be held on Tuesday May 13th at 1:30pm at Temple Sholom (385 Howland Ave) in River Edge, New Jersey.

Phone: 201-489-2463

Zarrow was well known for his outstanding contributions to the art of magic and has been a member of Assembly #25 of the Society for 54 years. His close friend Past National President Warren Kaps will perform the traditional Broken Wand ceremony

Whaley's Who's Who In Magic

Zarrow, Herb(ert G.), CPA, MIMC

(Paterson, New Jersey: 4 Nov 1925- ) Inspired and learned at age 11-12 from Gilbert magic set & library books. Accountant in New Jersey. Amateur closeup with cards & coins. Innovator & improver in card & close-up magic. Invented Zarrow shuffle around 1953-54, having "worked on it at various times, from late forties" & published it in 1957 in Phoenix. MIMC 1995. Louie Award 1998.

Tricks in Epilogue, Pallbearers, Chronicles, Apocalypse, Rigamarole, MUM, & Linking Ring plus books by Vernon, Fulves, Lorayne, Kaufman, Crosthwaite, etc. (MUM9/95;Wh2)

(My condolences to Phyllis and family and to Meir and Herb's many friends. Herb was truly a kind, gentle man. - Doug Thornton)

Bill Wisch

Postby Bill Wisch » May 12th, 2008, 12:01 pm

Herb Zarrow has been a dear friend since 1971 and I owe a great deal to him. I offer my sincere condolences to Phyllis, his family and the many friends Herb had in the magic community. It was an honor and privilege to have known him and He will be greatly missed.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » May 12th, 2008, 1:11 pm

I felt privledged and honored to get to know Herb and Phyllis over the years. I've always admired their sense of humor and playfullness as a couple.

You meet a lot of types as you go through life, but simply put...Herb was one of the good guys. For me its odd because he was ageless, there are certain people you just think will live for ever...but I guess in many ways he will.

My heart goes out to Phyllis and their family. We will keep them all in our prayers.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » May 12th, 2008, 2:47 pm

My condolences to the Zarrow family and all their friends. I unfortunately never had the opportunity to meet the man, though I did see him across the room at one of the JMMRT lectures in Linden a number of years ago. At the time, I only had a faint idea of who he was. I've heard many good things about him, not only as a magician, but as a person as well. I'm sad to know that I'll never get to know him personally.

Strangely, just this weekend I picked up the Genii issue from a few months back with the intention of really learning the shuffle, and spent a good portion of Saturday doing that.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 12th, 2008, 4:15 pm

OH so sad... another Icon in magic is gone... Herb was one of the great guys... condolences to Phyllis and all his family.
Stay tooned.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » May 12th, 2008, 4:36 pm

Herb was everything we should aspire to be. Such a welcoming, positive, kind and brilliant man.

Meir Yedid

Postby Meir Yedid » May 12th, 2008, 9:38 pm

For all who asked:

Condolences can be sent to:
Phyllis Zarrow :: 5-28 Karl Street :: Fair Lawn, NJ 07410

Donations in Herb Zarrow's name can be sent to:
The Reconstructionist Temple Beth Israel
34 W. Magnolia Avenue
Maywood, NJ 07607

Temple Sholom
385 Howland Avenue
River Edge, NJ 07661

Temple B'nai Brith
201 Central Street
Somerville, MA 02145

Darren Lawbuary

Postby Darren Lawbuary » May 13th, 2008, 3:35 am

Tragic. A very sad day indeed.
Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're asthmatic, then it's Ventolin.

Barbara Balducci

Postby Barbara Balducci » May 13th, 2008, 5:14 am

I've known Phyllis and Herb literally for as long as I can remember, and I am deeply saddened by Herb's passing. Herb was a genuinely gracious person and a true friend, whose friendship went beyond the scope of magic. He was a good friend to my parents, and after they passed, remained a friend to me and my husband. Herb will be missed by all who knew him. My heart goes out to Phyllis and the entire family.

Barbara Balducci

Vorzico

Postby Vorzico » May 13th, 2008, 8:11 am

RIP Herb.. as Barbara said, many people will be very saddened by this news

Return to “General”