Street Magic Magazine

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
Steve Cobb

Street Magic Magazine

Postby Steve Cobb » April 16th, 2008, 11:46 am

Curious...Does anyone know if Street Magic Magazine is still publishing. In my opinion it wasn't even in the same league as Genii. I bought the first 4 or 5 issues, but there were so many typos that it actually was hard to read. I did like a couple of the contributors like Jamie Grant and his Magic Friday's column. Also, after the first issue it was almost impossible to find. The editor/publisher stated that it would be available from the large book retailers and it even had a UPC barcode on it which led me to believe that would happen. No big deal really, but was wondering what happened to it.

raj k

Re: Street Magic Magazine

Postby raj k » April 16th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Is this a surprise? Out of the gates, it was all hype.

Hype never sustains.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » April 17th, 2008, 12:18 am

I doubt it is coming back..too expensive, not enough "magic" content and I think they called it quits...
anyone seen REEL MAGIC - that is great!!
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 17th, 2008, 4:56 pm

I just got an email from the publisher yesterday. He has NOT called it quits. From what I hear they've had some setbacks with server crashes, plus they have moved their operation to Las Vegas.

Don't count them out just yet.
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

Baph

Postby Baph » April 17th, 2008, 5:48 pm

Dave V wrote:I just got an email from the publisher yesterday...... they have moved their operation to Las Vegas.

So will it be retitled "Strip Magic"? If so - will Ursula Martinez feature? :)

I'll get my coat...

Jon/Baph

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 17th, 2008, 8:36 pm

Putting out a magazine is not an easy job.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » April 18th, 2008, 12:35 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Putting out a magazine is not an easy job.

Oh, c'mon, Richard...14, maybe 15 hours a day, six or seven days a week and you can bang out an issue every month. Piece of cake.

Gord

Postby Gord » April 18th, 2008, 1:18 pm

While I have only read the first four issues I found that each one was a bit better than the last. Speaking as someone who bad mouthed the magazine when it first appeared, I now find myself wishing them well.
And it has nothing to do with the fact a friend of mine writes for it. Nope, nothing at all.

Gord

flynn

Postby flynn » April 18th, 2008, 2:47 pm

I never understood what was up with all the typos.

Naphtalia

Postby Naphtalia » April 18th, 2008, 3:17 pm

I've worked in offices for many years and watched the appearance of typos in professional documents increase. Computers provide a "spell check" function which makes some workers think they don't need to proofread their work.

The 20-somethings with whom I work are used to writing text messages with abbreviations. They don't understand why "ttyl" using "u" for the second person pronoun, or "ttyl" in a signature line makes them look less professional.

I suspect, though I don't know, that some of the folks putting out Street Magic are/were younger. As Gord said, it seems to be getting better.

A friend of mine who works in a law office explains to all new clerks, paralegals and secretaries that proofreading is required. There is a big difference when a law firm sends out a letter saying "We intend to use you in the future," and "We intend to sue you in the future." Spell check does not know the difference, but a human being should.
Naphtalia

Impropriety is the soul of wit.

Jamie D. Grant

Postby Jamie D. Grant » April 21st, 2008, 2:18 am

Steve Cobb wrote:Curious...Does anyone know if Street Magic Magazine is still publishing. In my opinion it wasn't even in the same league as Genii. I bought the first 4 or 5 issues, but there were so many typos that it actually was hard to read. I did like a couple of the contributors like Jamie Grant and his Magic Friday's column. Also, after the first issue it was almost impossible to find. The editor/publisher stated that it would be available from the large book retailers and it even had a UPC barcode on it which led me to believe that would happen. No big deal really, but was wondering what happened to it.

Hiya!

Thanks for the kind words and the inquiry! Rest assured, we're going strong and are quite excited about some of the upcoming changes. It mean a lot to have the support of fellow magicians and we're always appreciative of that!

As for those of you wishing us ill, I'd like to thank you as well. We appreciate you taking the time to have us in your thoughts and for suggesting ways for us to improve. We wish that for you as well.

All the bezt,

jamie

p.s. If you're interested in my Magic Friday column, I still try and publish it over here from time to time:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... rum=175&73

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 21st, 2008, 10:42 am

Jamie, when was the most recent issue published (and dated) and when will the next issue be published?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Other Magic Publications”