FreeMagicSchool.com

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Dave V

FreeMagicSchool.com

Postby Dave V » April 8th, 2008, 2:29 pm

Check it out!

http://www.LINK DELETED BY ADMIN

They have hundreds of poorly done "tutorials" and a "trading site" where any kid regardless of skill level or permission can sign on for free and exchange "secrets" (usually in the form of ripped DVDs and unauthorized ebooks)

If you have ever invented and marketed a trick, they probably have it there. If you find something that's yours that they're illegally posting, be sure to let the site owner know. I'm sure he'll enjoy hearing from you (or your attorney).

I'd usually hesitate to "promote" a site like this because it might drive more secret seekers and leeches to it, but in this case I think the legitimate owners need to know what's going on so they can do something about it.
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

castawaydave

Re: FreeMagicSchool.com

Postby castawaydave » April 8th, 2008, 3:25 pm

Dear God, take me now.
That site claims to have over 17,000 registered members.

For your edification, following are a couple highlights from their thread about a book called "The expert at the card table". Enjoy.

(Be sure to note my favorite exchange, "1902? 1902? lol it better be like 2 or 3 bucks since I can get all this off youtube and stuff". )

From "Freemagicschool.com:
"Post subject: The expert at the card table.
There is a book i have (made in 1902) called the expert at the card table by "S.W Erdnase".. well that not the real name of the author.. no one knows it but its published under that name anyway, but thats beside the point.. Mostly it teaches false shuffles, false cuts, false rifles, shifting ect and all that you need to know about cheating.. a lot of the moves improve yor sleight and can also be used in magic tricks and at the back there are some very impressing magic tricks that you can also learn. great book. you should all get it its sweet as.
also the author was a cheater at gambling ect and a murderer.. interesting..

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:05 am
1902? 1902? lol it better be like 2 or 3 bucks since I can get all this off youtube and stuff

NOTE: how much is it ?

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:29 am
i love the ceating part

and the murdering part.. but dont say it 2 anyone...

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:41 am
Im telling !!!!! lol im jokeing, but i do like the cheating part i mean dude you could get some BIG BIG BIG bucks off of magicly makeing cards apear lol and wining games and huge amounts of money !!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:56 am
it's not really about making cards appear.. it teaches false shuffles, cuts, shifts, rifles ect. to retain stock that you want (pre-arranged order) and it cost me $16 aus.

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:53 am
how much would that be worth americain (sorry i am not good at figuring out currency)

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:33 am
errrr i dunno how much american money is lol :S probly sumwhere arouns 10 dollars tho maybe.. order it from a bookshop and find out how much it is.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:29 pm
IT is about 12 bucks US but that might be defferent depending if the store.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:37 pm
I haven't seen this anywhere (borders, barnes and nobel). Any american's seen it?"

--Well, with that, it's time to go pluck my eyeballs out.

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 8th, 2008, 4:59 pm

Painful, isn't it? What hurts even more are all the links to RapidShare and Megaupload sites with direct rips of all the popular magic DVDs. You'll have to register to see it, but as long as you have a valid email address you're in. (I just made one up. I'll toss it when I'm done)

So far Bob Kohler, Michael Ammar, and Penguin Magic have been notified of blatant copyright infringement.

I know the site owners won't listen if you're not the owner of the material in question, but if you see something and you know the owner, pass it on.

I know it's a huge mountain in front of us, but that doesn't stop us from conquering one hill at a time.

If the site owner won't listen, I have the info of *his* ISP, and they will.

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » April 9th, 2008, 2:16 am

I checked the website but couldn't get thru so I remove "magicforum" from the link and lo behold I got in! Clicked on privacy. Read the whole thing until the end, they provide their snail mail address! That's near Atlanta! Hope someone from metro of Atlanta can check them out in nice way so we can report from them on FreeMagicSchool. How's that sound to you?

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 9th, 2008, 10:47 am

Sounds perfect. Sorry the link didn't work for you. It works for me and goes directly to the exposure forum itself.

Spread the word! The owner claims he's never heard any complaints about infringement. I think we should help change that.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 9th, 2008, 10:54 am

I doubt the host will listen, if all he is doing is linking to rapidshare things then, google does that...

Unless they are HOSTING illegal material, I don't think they are breaking the ToS of the host.

Not saying it's right, but it's NEVER GOING TO GO AWAY. Stop worrying about it. Do you really think any of the [censored] posting on that site were actually going to BUY any of the stuff? They sound like 14 year olds who just wanna trade secrets to me.

Spend your time more constructively.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 9th, 2008, 10:56 am

To further prove my point:

hi, i ve heard about deck called blizzard but actually i dont know the efect, does anybody knows any trick, that can be performed with this deck? thanks

its just a deck full of blanks, and a deck shell. u can use the blanks probably in a couple other effects

thanks, i ve hesitated whether to buy it or not, but i d rather buy masters deck

yeah, blizzard isnt really that great, and it counts on a ton of distraction

-

Lol.

You are worried about them?

:D

I wouldn't be.

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 9th, 2008, 12:29 pm

That's the same attitude that condones CD and movie piracy that the recording industry is now cracking down on. We're not faceless megacorporations, we're real people in a very limited market. It hurts us more than it does the "big guys."

Like I said, it's a big mountain to climb. You can choose to climb it one hill at a time or walk on by and do nothing.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 9th, 2008, 12:36 pm

Dave V wrote:That's the same attitude that condones CD and movie piracy that the recording industry is now cracking down on. We're not faceless megacorporations, we're real people in a very limited market. It hurts us more than it does the "big guys."

Like I said, it's a big mountain to climb. You can choose to climb it one hill at a time or walk on by and do nothing.

Sorry, where did I CONDONE piracy? Please don't put words into my mouth on a public forum.

I bet you 50k USD right now, that the chaps on that forum, at least the ones that have been quoted here, were NEVER GOING to buy the DVDs, they just like trading them. Therefore there is no lost revenue perse.

If they were never going to buy it, as they are 14 and idiots, then you've lost nothing.

And it's not about walking away ignoring the problem. It's about working out a way to work it. LIKE I SAID. Please, try to either quote me and reply or not. You are suggesting I said to just ignore piracy.

What you should be doing is working out a way to embrace file sharing and use it to your advantage. See: Radiohead, Saul Williams, Trent Reznor. Heck, even Canada is using P2P technology to distribute a TV show!!!

Also, the MPAA and RIAA have been 'cracking down' on said piracy for years. It has achieved NOTHING AT ALL and in fact increased piracy. The day after the big RIAA cases traffic at thepiratebay.org DOUBLED. This is because the highprofile cases are merely alerting people where they can get pirate content.

You are completely wasting your time trying to stop it. Especially if you target sites that are technically not breaking the law.

Why not spend the time you waste getting annoyed and angry into doing something constructive to promote the sales of your content to a relevant audience?

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 9th, 2008, 12:44 pm

Trivializing my efforts by posting a few bad examples doesn't help much. Let's see if I can give you a better example. Here's what I found in a single post in the tutorials section. (links have been altered to prevent downloading)

These are links (RK: DELETED) to products that are marketed to these same people.

Other posts are freely giving away products by Bob Kohler, Paul Harris, Banachek, Michael Ammar, and many more.

5 Forces (Oz Pearlman), 15,52 MB

10 Card Poker Deal (Luke Jermay), 35,96 MB

Bertram Change (Oz Pearlman), 31,41 MB

Countdown (Oz Pearlman), 10,21 MB

Daley Show (Oz Pearlman), 15,99 MB

Do As I Do (Oz Pearlman), 11,16 MB

Delirium (Oz Pearlman), 15,62 MB

Dirty Deck Principle (Oz Pearlman), 18,88 MB

Elmsley Count (Oz Pearlman), 30,64 MB

Fish Sandwich (Oz Pearlman), 10,62 MB

IC3 (Oz Pearlman), 13,92 MB

Impossible Three (Joshua Jay), 99,55 MB

Impossible Transpo (Oz Pearlman), 19,31 MB

Impossible Twist (Oz Pearlman), 12,09 MB

Inversion Somersault (Brian Tudor), 6,56 MB

Jazz Aces (Oz Pearlman), 11,35 MB

Jokers Wild (Oz Pearlman), 10,95 MB

Killer B (Oz Pearlman), 9,04 MB

Laying on of Hands (Jay Sankey), 9,74 MB

Long Distance Spinner (Oz Pearlman), 10,26 MB
Last edited by Dave V on April 16th, 2008, 1:27 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: All links deleted

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 9th, 2008, 12:51 pm

"Don't worry about it, they weren't going to buy anyway" is the attitude I was talking about. Not you personally. I have better things to do with my time than argue with a goat.

I know the names of the people sharing these files. They are Penguin customers. Yes, Penguin has lost sales. Not the two examples that were quoted earlier, but others who have cancelled purchases because they were offered it for free. As much as I could use 50K, you can keep it. All I want to do is alert the copyright holders so they can decide what they want to do about it.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 9th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Lol.

Well done for now letting loads more people know where they can download pirate content.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/165513/pira ... r-ban.html

Also, that site is not breaking the law by LINKING to where you can get illegal content. If that was the case google would be breaking the law.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... tnG=Search

So, as I said, stop worrying about it and use all that energy for something good. Or something that would at least not increase piracy, which is all your last post did.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 9th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Dave V wrote: others who have cancelled purchases because they were offered it for free.

Any proof to back that up?

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 9th, 2008, 1:43 pm

mrgoat wrote:Lol.

Well done for now letting loads more people know where they can download pirate content.

Not exactly true. Rapidshare protects the privacy of their links. Without the code number, the links are invalid. I knew the risks of posting the freemagicschool.com site info. If your analysis is true of the age and maturity of the members there, chances are few if any of them are Genii Forum members. If they are already members, they already know what's there. I doubt anyone here would stoop so low as to abuse the information I provided. If I'm successful, the links won't be there for long anyway.

Of course I can't prove a negative on lost sales. They have thanked him for the free offerings so now they don't have to buy it. Whether they had their mom's credit card in hand or not is unknown. Perhaps I should have said "who say they have cancelled purchases"

Your money is safe. But you knew that or you wouldn't have offered.

BTW, Rapidshare considers posting copyrighted material a violation of their TOS and even linking to copyrighted material grounds for removal. The copyright holders have been notified and it's up to them now. I'm just the messenger.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 9th, 2008, 1:52 pm

Oh come on

So you can now google

http://www.google.com/search?q=rapidsha ... 20Pearlman)

Because I know the file names thanks to your list.

Yes, Radidshare forbids the distribution of illegal content in it's ToS. However, it is one of the largest and most popular ways of distributing illegal content! Crazy huh? Maybe, people ignore that and do it anyway?

Just a thought.

So again, you are wasting your time and increasing piracy by explaining in detail (even highlighting the section of the forum the need to go to) where people can steal things. I am not shooting the messenger, I am trying to point out to the messenger that the message he is delivering having the opposite effect of what he intended.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 9th, 2008, 1:53 pm

How specifically does this latest instance of magic data - as gossip - come as a surprise given that we have an open market for magic data aimed at young consumers who are also not ignorant of internet technology?

Some folks may wish examine the price they are willing to accept for ideas and data which is not of their own invention which they none the less expect to sell for profit.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 9th, 2008, 1:57 pm

mrgoat wrote:Oh come on

So you can now google

These particular files are passworded. The password was removed from my post. Rapidshare *will* remove posts if they are notified by the copyright holders. Most don't know. I'm here to change that.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 9th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Dave V wrote:
mrgoat wrote:Oh come on

So you can now google

These particular files are passworded. The password was removed from my post. Rapidshare *will* remove posts if they are notified by the copyright holders. Most don't know. I'm here to change that.

You can't be this stupid.

You have provided a list of files on rapidshare

Googling those file names PLUS rapidshare provides links

Come on man...it's really not that hard.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 9th, 2008, 9:23 pm

Dave V wrote:
mrgoat wrote:Lol.

I doubt anyone here would stoop so low as to abuse the information I provided. If I'm successful, the links won't be there for long anyway.

Did you miss the link I posted about reporting piracy leading to a MASSIVE increase in traffic to pirate sites?

I can post it again if you like

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/165513/pira ... r-ban.html

YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME.

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 10th, 2008, 5:05 pm

I have already received letters of thanks from Bob Kohler, Michael Ammar, Lee Asher, Kozmo, and the staff of Penguin Magic.

The only waste of time I see is arguing about it here.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » April 10th, 2008, 6:16 pm

mrgoat wrote:Yes, Radidshare forbids the distribution of illegal content in it's ToS. However, it is one of the largest and most popular ways of distributing illegal content! Crazy huh? Maybe, people ignore that and do it anyway?

Yeah, who would have thought that people who are unconcerned about a legal matter of copyright infringement, would be so rude as to ignore the TERMS OF SERVICE AGREEMENT they clicked OK on?

Animals!

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 10th, 2008, 7:06 pm

RapidShare frequently removes copyrighted content that's reported to them. It's the content that goes unreported by people who believe "You are completely wasting your time trying to stop it." that remains on the site. That's all I'm asking people to do. I wrote this here because we're closer to the originators of this material than the average music listener. Sometimes it works to our advantage that we're a small community. Most wouldn't even know where to begin if we were to try this with a movie studio or record company. So far, all it's taken me is one email to reach the copyright holder.

I'll continue to write to the authors when I find copyright violations. I just hope that others do the same.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 10th, 2008, 7:29 pm

Dave V wrote:I have already received letters of thanks from Bob Kohler, Michael Ammar, Lee Asher, Kozmo, and the staff of Penguin Magic.

The only waste of time I see is arguing about it here.

You don't get it do you?

You are advertising where people can get pirate material. Thus increasing piracy. You are accelerating the very thing which you set out to destroy. Sadly, that is undestroyable.

Lecture notes were photocopied. VHS cassettes were copied. DVDs are now copied.

You are wasting your time.

Unless, of course, your goal was to get some magicians to send you an email saying "Thanks for letting me know"

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 10th, 2008, 7:31 pm

Dave V wrote:So far, all it's taken me is one email to reach the copyright holder.

I'll continue to write to the authors when I find copyright violations. I just hope that others do the same.

I hope others do something more worthy than scour the internet looking for stolen content.

To save you some time if you pop along to

thepiratebay or isohunt and have a look there you will find hundreds of magic items.

then, if you REALLY wanna freak out go to something like newzbin.com (a usenet search engine) and look for alt.binaries.magic there you will find enought content for it to be a fll time job for you to write to all the content producers.

Knock yourself out.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 10th, 2008, 7:32 pm

Bill Duncan wrote:
mrgoat wrote:Yes, Radidshare forbids the distribution of illegal content in it's ToS. However, it is one of the largest and most popular ways of distributing illegal content! Crazy huh? Maybe, people ignore that and do it anyway?

Yeah, who would have thought that people who are unconcerned about a legal matter of copyright infringement, would be so rude as to ignore the TERMS OF SERVICE AGREEMENT they clicked OK on?

Animals!

Heaven forfend!

shanty

Postby shanty » April 15th, 2008, 10:41 am

this guy is the best dam teacher there is
no need for a learning site while hes around....
http://www.videojug.com/film/zanthors-c ... -card-fold

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 15th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Maybe I should direct these magic school kiddies to Zanthor's stuff. Serves them right.

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 16th, 2008, 2:58 am

After a couple weeks of emails to people, the site owner of FreeMagicSchool has fired his volunteer moderators who had condoned, encouraged and participated in trading of copyrighted material. He has hired a full time site manager and deleted the Tutorials section that contained the links to copyrighted magic video downloads. His statement to the members now includes this line: [color:#990000]"Any posting of Magic DVD's will result in a ban."[/color]

It's possible (probable) that the files remain on the sharing servers, but without direct links they remain virtually hidden. It will be up to the copyright holders themselves if they wish to pursue having them removed.

It's a small victory, but I'll take it.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 16th, 2008, 7:03 am

Dave V wrote:It's possible (probable) that the files remain on the sharing servers, but without direct links they remain virtually hidden.

Unless of course, you have access to google.

I would go after them next mate, cos a simple search for - "rapidshare magic" shows lots of results. The second hit being this thread here, so well done for publicising how to pirate DVDs!

Google is blatantly enabling theft of copyrighted content. Shut them down!

Or, go and do something constructive.

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 16th, 2008, 10:49 am

I AM doing something constructive, unlike you who do nothing but criticize. Every comment you make about Google or other site to pirate videos is hurting much more than anything I'm doing here.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 16th, 2008, 11:46 am

Dave V wrote:I AM doing something constructive, unlike you who do nothing but criticize. Every comment you make about Google or other site to pirate videos is hurting much more than anything I'm doing here.

You are really missing my point.

I have proven to you, by using evidence, that when you try and stop piracy, you in fact encourage it.

Can you not grasp this fairly simple idea? As the man that posting the actual file names on rapidshare you made it very very easy for anyone to find those files. You also let people know rapidshare existed.

I don't only criticise on here. Just those that I believe should be stopped or at least educated as to why there actions are causing harm. I know your heart is in the right place and your intentions are 100% honourable. However, you are hurting a lot more than you are helping. Even if you still can't understand why.

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 16th, 2008, 12:04 pm

What I can't understand is why you persist in tearing down whatever work I've tried to do here. My post with file names was to counter your digging up one totally useless post out of thousands as some sort of "evidence" that these people are harmless. For the average reader, my editing the link names would have been enough but no, you had to go and post detailed workarounds for all to see. By itself my post was fine until you decided to advertise to all here how they could steal these videos for themselves. Not only that but you went on to post alternative sites and methods for stealing even more.

I suggest you stop this now before you cause further damage.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 16th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Dave V wrote:What I can't understand is why you persist in tearing down whatever work I've tried to do here. My post with file names was to counter your digging up one totally useless post out of thousands as some sort of "evidence" that these people are harmless. For the average reader, my editing the link names would have been enough but no, you had to go and post detailed workarounds for all to see. By itself my post was fine until you decided to advertise to all here how they could steal these videos for themselves. Not only that but you went on to post alternative sites and methods for stealing even more.

I suggest you stop this now before you cause further damage.

Wow. You are actually this stupid? You posted a massive list of files people could download. But the real point is IF YOU TALK ABOUT WHERE PEOPLE CAN DOWNLOAD PIRATE STUFF FROM, PEOPLE GO THERE AND DO THIS.

http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=4 ... afda0f2d32

What sites did I post where you could download illegal content aside from google?

What 'detailed workaround' did I post? Going to Google?

Look, you are probably getting on a bit and don't get all this interweb stuff. That is ok. You can be a big brave boy behind your keyboard. Do not accuse me of doing anything illegal on a private forum though. That just is bad form.

I am sorry you screwed up by posting the long list of links. I am sorry you are helping pirates. I am REALLY sorry you don't get this point.

I am putting you on ignore assuming such a function exists on this new forum software. You are missing the point, being ridiculously childish, and frankly, don't seem like a very nice chap at all.

Bye.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 16th, 2008, 1:27 pm

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I've deleted all the links from this thread.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 16th, 2008, 5:00 pm

Here's another Success Story just posted today by Tim Ellis.

Return to “Link Watch”