March is Abracadabra month at the Cub Scouts

Discuss the art of Children's Entertainment with your fellow performers.
MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

March is Abracadabra month at the Cub Scouts

Postby MaxNY » March 20th, 2008, 10:07 pm

I got a call today from a Cub Master asking to do a show in April for Abracadabra month. On-line they say that March is Abracadabra month...anyway I've already got invited to the owner of the hottest Hampton's club owner's 60th B-day, that weekend, won't be able to do it...maybe you too will be fielding few calls to work this type of gig. I usually do some David Ginn routine about the world's smallest hole cutter, and proceed to slaughter some Cub's neckerchief... A stupid change bag helps me with the switch, and I always destroy the new one, just in case the kid's rag has some sort of sentimental value.

Dave Andrews

Re: March is Abracadabra month at the Cub Scouts

Postby Dave Andrews » March 20th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Could you elucidate, please.

Dave

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » March 21st, 2008, 1:36 am

You've lost me too..............and I consider myself quite intellegent!! JR
www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » March 21st, 2008, 9:49 am

A Cubmaster called me yesterday saying "April" was Abracadabra month...When I checked the Cub Scout Webpage, they said that "March" was Abracadabra month. If in fact March is/was Abracadabra month...most of us already lost half the month, to go and try and book yourself into a Cub Scout gig...
I was busy that weekend,(could not do the gig) and just wanted to drop a name, and let everyone know that being as popular as I am, I have been invited to the hottest Birthday party, for the hottest owner of the hottest location in the East.
I was also letting funny forum memebers in on a great little routine I perform whenever I do a Cub Scout show...Let's call it a Cut-n-restored neckerchief trick. This was put together ala a David Ginn routine about being "The World's Smallest hole Cutter". Without tipping what a "Change Bag" does, let's just say that it is a tool to exchange objects.
The purpose of this thread was to warn and inform all that are interested, that either March or April is Abracadabra month at the Cub Scouts..now, if you all will excuse me, I've got a Purim party to entertain.....don't ask.
Why is a children's entertainer using words like "elucidate"? Oh, I'm sorry I just saw the "UK" thing...Your Hamptons is probably much different than our Hamptons. Our Hamptons are the Eastern most tip of New York, houses average around 30 million. Mostly a weekend get-away for the very rich, or in my case, very poor, but well connected.

Ace..keep your day job, New York already has too many card guys...Don't ask.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » March 21st, 2008, 3:47 pm

Good one! I used to do a neckerchief penetration, where I enter wearing a neckerchief of my own and pull the ends through the slider band, making the neckerchief penetrate my neck and revealing that I used to be a "Rabbit" scout until I found out that there was no such thing. A picture of a rabbit is shown on the center of the neckerchief. I followed this with a few more handkerchief effects I won't go into here, since they are pretty common ones.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Dave Andrews

Postby Dave Andrews » March 22nd, 2008, 8:24 am

Thanks for the clarification.
I don't get to use the word 'elucidate' too often, so whenever the opportunity presents itself .......

Regards

Dave

David

Postby David » March 28th, 2008, 1:21 am

Thank you. I'll sty to book some extra Blue & Golds next year.
My Blue & Gold show is my regular (adult) club act with Magic Inc.'s "cubber" after the opening.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » March 28th, 2008, 7:26 am

If you get a lot of Blue and Gold business, you might want to consider making some special props just to let the Troops know you "specialize" in that area. For example, making "Forgetful Freddy" into a scout is a simple matter of redecorating the prop, but you might easily make a separate unit from hardboard following Jim Gerrish's Hard Board and Duct Tape plans for "Forgetful Whomever" on my site.

Then there's the "Hippity Hop Scouts" or the "Run, Scout, Run" that can also be easily made in a weekend. Spend your summer productively and you'll have a full grown Blue and Gold extravaganza that can blow away the competition next year.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

David

Postby David » March 28th, 2008, 11:53 am

Cubber is Forgetful Freddie.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » March 28th, 2008, 1:24 pm

It must be that they don't know it by that name at Magic, Inc. At least a search failed to turn anything up. Perhaps it was a version they no longer manufacture or sell, in which case, those who don't have one can still make one for themselves, if they wish.

Another easy trick to make from cardboard or hardboard uses the old Four Card Monte principle to make a Cub Scout who gets lost in the forest and can't be found among all the trees.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » March 29th, 2008, 9:25 pm

It appears they do Abracadabra month often.

Christopher

Postby Christopher » April 5th, 2008, 6:48 pm

It seems that many scout organizations are extending this....into May even! It's been very popular and I've gotten many bookings for it up through May..both shows and workshops.

Return to “Children's Entertainment”