Torn and restored card

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Torn and restored card

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2002, 2:23 pm

I have invented a very cool torn and restored card trick and I hoping that my idea is original. The conditions are:

a) completely impromptu
b) uses on a pen (for signing) and 52 cards.

c) the spectator names a card, that card is taken out and has the corner torn off. The corner is handed to the spectator who signs it.

d) The corner is held up and shown to match the torn card.

c) The deck is handed to the spectator and the card is torn up.

d) At no time does the card leave the spectator's sight. They see their corner match and then the card is torn up.

e) The pieces of card disappear and reform in the centre of the deck. The missing corner still matches.

Can anyone think of any effects that match this description? I know it is vague but I am sure there is someone out there who might know where a similar effect exisits.

I would like to perform it a close up comp as an original effect and I don't want to get in trouble for pitching ideas.

Cheers

Re: Torn and restored card

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2002, 5:30 pm

my memory may fail me but I remember seeing simon lovell teach a trick very similar to this one called karrell fox's karate card, I may be wrong.

Noah Levine

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 24th, 2002, 10:39 pm

Nicholas,

I recall reading an ad for a similar sounding effect that you may wish to check out. I recall it being a Steve Dusheck idea but I can't be sure. As I recall the card was torn into four pieces and the spectator chooses any piece and the remaining three are restored (in the same manner you indicated.)

Sorry I can't provide more details, but I hope this helps your search.

Also you may wish to post this in the "Close Up Magic" section of the forum.

Alpen

Postby Alpen » January 27th, 2002, 5:24 pm

The trick, as Noah pointed out, is extremely similar to Karrel Fox's Karate Card. However, when I first read your post concerning the effect that you were describing, it sounded very much like Tom Mullica's torn and restored (which undoubtedly has roots in Karrel Fox's)however, his version did not contain a signature. The trick, I believe, is published in An Evening at the Tom-Foolery (Kaufman) but to my knowledge, the book may be out of print.
The difference is that a card is selected (no force), and you propose to find it behind your back. Behind your back, you find the card, and bring it out facing yourself, and name the card. You tear the card, give the spectator the top piece, the other pieces vanish in your hands, and when the deck is spread, the selection is seen face-up in the center, with the corner missing, and the corner is matched. As an after-effect, Tom Mullica then tears the selection (the remaining 3/4 of it) and while he's tearing it, the card transforms into the selection, but a fully uncreased, whole card version. It looks amazing. I hope this helps

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2002, 11:40 pm

Alpen,

I saw the Tom Mullica version and didn't like the tearing behind back and the fact you don't see the face of the torn card.

In this version you see the cards face as it is being torn. (bare in mind there are no duplicates) The signed corner is shown to match seconds before the card is torn up.

You hand the deck and corner to the spectator and then tear up the card and disappear it. The card then reappers in the deck in the spectator's hand.

I am happy to share the workings with anyone who is interesting in critiquing my handling.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » February 7th, 2002, 7:20 pm

Nicholas,

Dying to see this performed or in print. We all know the world doesn't have anough t&r cards. (Only being half-sarcastic.)
Pepka

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2002, 5:10 am

most probably Simon Lovell was teaching the Tom Mullica routine,its certainly the one he taught me. How is Simon keeping these days ?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 23rd, 2002, 10:00 am

Question... is it difficult to do? Or can you kick it out without sweating angles, palms, half passes, etc?
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2002, 1:42 pm

It is very easy. It requires:-

*Culling
*Double Lift
*Top Card Cover Pass ( with the heat of the deck so it can be VERY sloppy)

Oh what the hell...

check out http://www.ozmagic.cjb.net i put the instructions up there

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2002, 9:35 am

Just read the instructions. Looks great and extremely workable.

[ March 02, 2002: Message edited by: happytrickster ]

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2002, 1:15 pm

:)

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2002, 2:33 pm

I'm assuming that culling the Ace of hearts if an Ace of clubs is chosen (Ace of clubs = Ace of hearts) rather than the other black Ace is to overcome the difficulty in displaying the face of the Ace of spades? But would you actually display the Ace of hearts at any time?

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2002, 2:57 pm

If the ace of clubs is choosen, you perform the trick as per the instructions with the ace of hearts but you cover the centre pip with the deck. When you show the card they will see the whiteness of the ace but no centre pip. However, because the corner fits and the corner is a club, they will not doubt you.

Pyschologicaly, the display of the face is secondary to showing them that the corner fits. Because you have given them no reason to doubt you they will not draw attention to the fact they can't see any other pips.

However, with the ace of SPADES, the pip fills the whole card and so there is nothing that can be done except not show the face.

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2002, 3:14 pm

Oh yes, silly me. I was running the trick through my head but completely overlooked the fact that the index corner of the 'near duplicate' Ace of hearts would also be torn away.

I guess you've probably realised i'm not overly familiar with torn and restored card tricks - this is the first version i've given any serious consideration to. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “General”