58 Issues of The Crimp - ebay

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Jamie Badman

58 Issues of The Crimp - ebay

Postby Jamie Badman » March 12th, 2008, 5:47 am

Hi,

I have my Crimp collection on ebay right now - 58 different issues (well it'd be a bit lame if they were all the same, right?!). Feel free to take a look:

Link to the auction here

Regards,

Jamie Badman

------------------
105 Kenilworth Avenue
Reading
Berkshire
RG30 3EH
England

+44 79 886 366

naquada

Re: 58 Issues of The Crimp - ebay

Postby naquada » March 12th, 2008, 6:36 am

I'm watching your auction Jamie.. but might already be out of my price range... I see your also in reading... PM me if you want to hook up :)
Member of The Magic Circle
www.magicconventionguide.com

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » March 13th, 2008, 5:48 am

Blimey - that is quite a price!

naquada

Postby naquada » March 13th, 2008, 7:00 am

Crimps always go for a large amount.. and especially if it's an almost complete collection...

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » March 13th, 2008, 9:47 am

Here the man himself is selling two issues and is promising a reprint in book form in the item description: 2 issues of Crimp on ebay

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 13th, 2008, 10:12 am

Sadowitz, as usual, has pulled his legal information from inside his bowel. It is not illegal for an individual to copy information from material he has purchased for his own use and then sell the originals. His description on eBay, naming Jamie Badman as someone who has "illegally" copied his purchased copies of The Crimp on CD-Rom and now intends to sell the CD-Roms, is probably something on which Badman can take legal action for libel.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » March 13th, 2008, 12:53 pm

In the UK you cannot take copies of things you have bought period. We do not have the 'back up' loophole US law has.

It is, believe it or not, illegal in the UK to take a CD you bought and rip it and put it on your iPod!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 13th, 2008, 1:39 pm

Are you certain of that? It seems inconceivable.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

naquada

Postby naquada » March 13th, 2008, 2:16 pm

yes unfortunately law in the uk is a bit weird... IF... someone takes a copy of something onto say DVD and then sells it.. they must also destroy or cease to use the copy.. (although under uk law depending how you read it the 'backup' is also a bit dodgy)

the auction now reads: "This auction is for the last two issues of The Crimp magazine which I am selling off, pending the publication of the complete run in the next few weeks (book form).
These two issues are no.39 and 40 and contain many card routines, cartoons, comedy and commentary..please be warned that some of the material will not be suitable to all readers.
Quite recently, a BAD MAN has sold off a near complete file, having illegally copied them on to a cd -rom, and I will therefore be issuing the complete run in book form so as to make capital of my own material, before these illegal cd-roms can spread too far. The book will also contain new material to help counteract the pirates.
Please note that I accept paypal only and buyer pays shipping."

i dont see any reference to James Badman saying or hinting at he's going to illegally sell or distribute the CD's thats certainly unlawful, and james badman would be within his rights to persue JS if he was named directly (he's not he's only referred to as 'a badman'.. also if jerry believes thats whats happening then he's within his rights to ask ebay to pull the other auction.

i'm happy to buy the book version though :) :)

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » March 13th, 2008, 3:12 pm

Not sure but my understanding was that you could make one back up copy of a disc that you owned. To sell the original and keep the copy would most certainly be illegal in the UK. I can't understand why that is the case in the US? :confused:
Best John

Mallakite

Postby Mallakite » March 13th, 2008, 3:12 pm

This is the best news ever, I'am going to buy The Complete Crimp book from Mr Sadowitz the moment it is released.

pandora

Postby pandora » March 13th, 2008, 3:45 pm

In the Magicians only section of his website Sadowitz is now offering the new Crimp (72) for sale with the caveat that would be buyers must be trusted magicians before he will sell The Crimp to them.
I am wondering if he will decide to distribute The complete crimp book in the same way?
I would love to buy a copy of the crimp and the book when it comes out but fear I would be rejected as I am quite new to magic and only really do it for a hobby.

Mallakite

Postby Mallakite » March 13th, 2008, 4:48 pm

I hope he doesn't go the same way with The Complete Crimp

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » March 14th, 2008, 5:31 am

I saw the mention by Sadowitz of "a BAD MAN" and assume it's his way of trying to cripple my auction because he hates the idea of someone making more money from his 'baby' than he does. He no doubt hates that I'm auctioning off my copies of his magazine because he's always tried to 'control' who gets it.

For the record I've never copied or scanned a single copy of The Crimp - though to be honest, I'm not sure why I should even have to defend myself from the ravings of a mad man.

Incidentally, I doubt very much (despite Sadowitz' claims) there will EVER be a book version of The Crimp for two reasons: (1) Sadowitz hates the idea of his material becoming widespread and (2) There is so much libellous and slanderous content in those magazines that I would imagine if it were printed in a hardbound volume, some individuals might decide to take an injunction against the distribution - or even legal action against either Sadowitz himself or the publishers of the material. I doubt, however, if any mainstream magic publisher would risk putting this stuff in print in the first place. I believe it's just a ploy to cripple my auction; he's a very bitter individual as many of you are no doubt already aware.

Anyway, I guess we can wait and see. My auction continues - feel free to pass it by if you believe Sadowitz will print - but regret it forever if he does not.

Jamie.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » March 14th, 2008, 8:07 am

John McDonald wrote:Not sure but my understanding was that you could make one back up copy of a disc that you owned.

Not in the UK. That is illegal.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » March 14th, 2008, 8:08 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Are you certain of that? It seems inconceivable.

Completely sure.

You cannot make a back up copy of a CD or DVD, or game or piece of software. And you cannot legally put a CD you own onto your iPod

UK copyright law is quite strange.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”