Magic meant for the kids, that slays the adults as well

Discuss the art of Children's Entertainment with your fellow performers.

Magic meant for the kids, that slays the adults as well

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2007, 5:34 pm

It has been many years since I was doing childrens' shows (schools, parties, etc.).

Among the pleasant memories I have of those times, are of playing-to and interacting-with the kids during the build-up of a nice straightforward trick, and at the climax, hearing the adults in the back of the room react astonished.

--People certainly don't expect a Vegas spectacular for a birthday party, and the adults at the function are sometimes a little smug in their assumptions of the "kiddie show" they're about to see...

Thus I like classic, straight-forward material that fools almost regardless of age...you could say that really DOES "pack small & play big".

A few items along those lines:
Torn and restored Newspaper
Color-Changing Silk
$100 Bill-switch
Floating Bill
Han Ping Chien

and even such workhorses as:
Professor's Nightmare
What's Next?
Spong Bunnies
Torn and restored napkin with bluff explanation
Mouth coils with spring-flower climax (ala Patrick Martin, N.Y. Symposium vol. 2)

Whoa! Now I really AM giving away too much of the good stuff!!

Re: Magic meant for the kids, that slays the adults as well

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2007, 6:47 pm

Yes indeed, Dave. I find that the adults naturally like all the clever stuff you list in the above tricks/routines. However, I find that the adults also love watching the kiddie tricks. They are not as much enjoying the trick, as loving the reaction of the children. This could be in the form of them shouting out "You turned it around!" or simply hearing the children laughing and giggling! As you know, one of the highlights of The Lance Burton Show at The Monte Carlo is when he gets a child up on stage! JR

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2007, 7:07 pm

Here are just a few items that not only fool the kids, but get the full reaction from adults in the audience:

Card Warp (just as it comes in the package)
Malini Egg Bag (my routining)
Tabary Rope Routine (audible gasps at 2 moves)
Zone Zero (my routine (that Jerry Andrus loved))

There are a few more that I'll list when I think of them. :help:
DonB!

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2007, 8:01 pm

Like Dave, I favor material that "fools almost regardless of age". As a festival entertainer, most of my audiences include both kids and adults. It is not uncommon to get gasps from adults who are watching the kids watch me.

In fact I think this is one of the very best times to create a 'magic moment' for an adult....especially when they are watching a child they care about. Why? They are truly engaged. I really don't have to do much to get them engaged, other than to avoid insulting their intelligence. When the magic is strong, the adult's reactions can be wonderful.

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2007, 8:45 am

Family entertainment- for kids of all ages.

I can vouch especially for the aforementioned Torn and Restored Newspaper and What's Next? I still remember the first times I saw these performed. Two of my faves that pack small and ASTOUND.

Postby Guest » September 24th, 2007, 9:03 am

Hey Castaway Dave: We were in Scouts Explorer Post 13 in Palo Alto back about 22 years ago. Drop me a note at phil@ackerly-entertainment.com. Love to hear from you.

By the way, I make a living doing kids and adult shows. I agree with you that it's important to fool the adults too. Afterall, they are the ones paying for the show. This is one way I get lots of adult shows and corporate gigs.

Homepage

Postby Guest » September 24th, 2007, 3:24 pm

The standard cut and restored rope plays for and astounds people of virtually any age.

Return to “Children's Entertainment”