Entertaining the young and the old...

Discuss the art of Children's Entertainment with your fellow performers.

Entertaining the young and the old...

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2008, 1:06 pm

I have a theory that most good children's entertainers are also good with an audience of adults. However, I believe many adult entertainers do not feel at home with an audience of children. Does anyone agree with me? JR

Re: Entertaining the young and the old...

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2008, 1:11 pm

I fully agree.
Gord

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Are we talking comfort level (feeling at home), or competency (being good)? They are two different things, and I don't think one necessarily precludes the other. A person can be uncomfortable around children, but still be competent and put on a good performance that they will enjoy. Bing-Bang the clown might not feel comfortable performing for a bunch of dock workers, but if he is competent, he should be able to handle it (and them).

Mark Pettey

Postby Mark Pettey » January 30th, 2008, 6:34 am

One of the neatest things that happened at a recent show was when one of the adults came up after the performance, asked for a card, and then said "I didn't expect you to be so funny ! I thought this would just be something for the kids, but I laughed just as hard as they did". I really don't try to gear anything for the adults, but I do try hard to remember the things that made me laugh and amazed me as a child. Perhaps it is because the other adults enjoy seeing how I am "looking back" and decide to let themselves be taken for the "ride" as well. I never set out with a goal of entertaining adults, but I am sure glad that they enjoy themselves !

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
ROBBiE the RiNGMASTER'S
CiRCUS of MAGiC!

Return to “Children's Entertainment”