Harry Potter Book Release Party!

Discuss the art of Children's Entertainment with your fellow performers.

Harry Potter Book Release Party!

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2007, 2:57 pm

This Friday night I am doing an 11pm. Harry Potter themed magic show at a library. They would like me to magically produce the new book at the end of my show. I normally finish my show with my Cloth of Invisibilty( the one I did at Blackpool), which is very strong.....and fits right in with Harry Potter. I am open to all suggestions! Thanks! JR

Jeff Haas

Re: Harry Potter Book Release Party!

Postby Jeff Haas » July 16th, 2007, 5:12 pm

Well, Amazon shows that the new book is 784 pages and 1.8 lbs to ship...and that book 4 (The Goblet of Fire) is 734 pages. So you can use a copy of Book 4 to practice with.

Given the weight, I'd try to make it appear from inside some kind of apparatus.

Also, in fitting in with your style, you could do a running gag where you try to produce the book at different points during your show, and "fail" by making the wrong book appear.

If you have time and can mock up things on the computer, the wrong books could be titles like...

"The Cat In The Hat Goes To Hogwarts"
"James And The Giant Peach Cauldron"
"Curious George And The Boggart"
Etc.

Jeff

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2007, 6:13 pm

Thank you Jeff. I think that is an excellent idea, and you are correct that it would suit my style! Please keep the ideas coming, and I will let you know after the show on what I decided. I like the idea of the book rising up out of a flaming cauldron, but unfortunately I do not think the Fire Marshall would be too happy. Another idea(also involving fire) is for me to produce the book which is actually a fire book with the Harry Potter cover on it. Prior to the flames appearing, I could have bats, spiders, wind-up birds etc. jumping out of the book. I did something like this years ago in my comedy Shakespeare/magic act. Just thinking out loud! JR

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2007, 8:24 pm

You should be able to do your Cloak of Invisibility and still end up with the book (or book facsimile) in your hand at the end.

For additional themed effects, I have a couple of Harry Potter style routines that you can make yourself on my site published in The Wizards' Journals; particularly "Feather Flight" from Wizards' Journal #2,and "The Instant Wizard" from Wizards' Journal # 11.

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2007, 9:41 pm

"You should be able to do your Cloak of Invisibility and still end up with the book (or book facsimile) in your hand at the end. "

Only a slight correction, Spellbinder. The effect that I do is actually known as "Jolly Roger's Cloth of Invisibility." It is the illusion that created quite a few Rumbles when I revealed it in my lecture at Blackpool last year. In the Harry Potter stories it is a "Cloak of Invisibility." Naturally I took the name from there. However, you are quite correct that I can be holding the new book "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallowes" in my hand when the cloth drops. This would certainly work, and might be the solution to the problem!

I took a look at your website just now, and I am most impressed with some of the stuff you have on there. I admire your creativity. I can bet you that you can go to the dollar store, spend twenty bucks, and come away with a better act than someone who has spend thousands on the latest and greatest illusions. It is all in the presentation.... right? JR

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » July 16th, 2007, 10:50 pm

Roger...it doesn't have to be a flaming cauldron. How about one with water and dried ice in it?

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2007, 4:37 am

Do you think you might slip a "half blood prince" cover over it and get that off secretly to reveal the book on the table?

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2007, 5:19 am

Sorry, Roger, a slip of the tongue; the CLOAK of Invisibility is my own in The Wizards' Journal #6, while yours is the CLOTH of Invisibility. I stand corrected... or sit corrected.

To pick up on Jonathan's idea, has anyone tried to print on flashpaper with an inkjet printer? I have used color flashpaper and I know they print dollar bills on flash paper, but wouldn't it be cool to print a book cover on flashpaper, and then have the flash paper burn off to reveal the latest book? Assuming you don't set the whole bookstore on fire, of course!

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2007, 7:30 am

"Assuming you don't set the whole bookstore on fire, of course!"

Actually, Professor, it is a library where I am doing the show. You "lay" corrected! However, I do think it would be awfully good publicity for me if it did burn down as a result of my performance. I think it would make national headlines, the bookings would pour in, and I would never have to advertise again in Yellow Pages!

I would certainly be most interested to know about printing on Flashpaper. JR

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2007, 8:40 am

I just built a tip over box to produce the book out of. It came out rather nice as it has the Hogwarts coat of arms on the top and the house emblems on all four sides.
I've also built a prop book to produce that will release spring snakes and burst into flames when you show what happens if you try to read the book from the back.

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2007, 8:47 am

Good idea Payne! On the subject of the house emblems, I use an excellent prop put out by my friend Paul Stone called "Overboard." When the board is opened up, you see two of the houses, turn it around, and you see the other two. The third time you turn it around you see the Hogwarts Castle and the coat of arms. You print them on your computer, and place them under the lamination on the prop. Goes down very well with the Muggles! JR

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2007, 9:22 am

I have a cloth banner that has the Hogwart's crest on either side and then changes to have all 4 house emblems on one side. I use it right before a trick based on the Fat Lady portrait that hangs in front of Gryffindor Hall wich is a reworking of the old Fradiy Cat Rabbit Trick

Mike Tyler

Postby Mike Tyler » July 17th, 2007, 1:34 pm

JR,
What about a reworking of the Zombie Ball while using the book instead. Just a thought. Would fit in with invisible cloak etc. Think it would be better than just producing the book at the end. Good luck!

Mike

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » July 17th, 2007, 10:17 pm

As someone who hasn't yet read the books (but has seen the films), this has been very useful to me in prepping for my launch show (Borders in Sarasota, FL (intersection of Bee Ridge and US 41, 11:15pm on 7/20)):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_ob ... rry_Potter

Best,

N.

Postby Guest » July 18th, 2007, 11:22 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19816389/?GT1=10150

It seems that some information about the new book has been leaked. Interesting!! JR

Return to “Children's Entertainment”