Looking for other southwest Florida wizards

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.

Looking for other southwest Florida wizards

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2005, 9:14 am

Greetings from the swamps.....

I am new to the Genii Forum, and am trying to discover who in my area may be working , practicing or learning magic. My son encouraged me to get back into the craft after an almost 30 year hiatus, and I am really enjoying the rediscovery of an old love ! IF anyone is near to Naples, FL, please drop a line and let's talk...

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL

Re: Looking for other southwest Florida wizards

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2005, 2:55 pm

Well, no answers to this in a week, so I will try again ! Any magi in southwest Florida on this list ? Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Bonita Springs, Naples, etc. ???? Looking for fellow wizards to communicate with in my area.

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2005, 9:38 am

Well since no one has responded in a week, I will make my own response ! Perhaps it will help someone else who lives in the area, and may join this list in the near future.

I have discovered a group called the Ft. Myers Magician's Association. They are made up of local IBM and SAM members. They meet every first Tuesday of the month. If you want more info, you can PM me and I will give the contact address.

I have met Keith Raygor , who works at a nice local restaurent called the Watermark Grille, Sunday through Thursday, 6-9. He is a wonderful performer, and does kids shows ,and corporates, besides table hopping. I found out that I am playing the orchestra for a show his daughter is appearing in this summer with the community theater.

Also met a local doctor, Doc Brooks, who does magic semi-pro on the side. He is getting ready for a competition in a few weeks. Good luck Doc !

Well, hopefully, someone else in Southwest Florida will see this and come out of the woodwork !

MArk Pettey
Naples, FL

Steve Proescher

Postby Steve Proescher » August 2nd, 2005, 3:08 am

Mark: my wife and I vacation in Naples every year. We love eating at the Dock. There was a samll magic shop in Fort Myers Beach, but on our last visit, they were closed each time we visited. Several times during our vacations, we've attended Magic on the Beach in Miami. I think they've changed the date to early September this year. Don't miss it...it's lots of fun.

Steve Proescher

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2005, 8:25 pm

Steve,

Thanks for replying ! I attended the Ft. Myers Society of Magicians meeting tonight, where my son gave his first public performance (he is seven). What a great time we had ! There were only fifteen magi in attendance, since most seasonal folks are up north this time of year (we live here year-round), but they were super friendly, and performed some great tricks. Of particular note was a visit from Dan Tong, who did some nice card work.

Yes, Don's Magic is gone. There is a tiny store further down the beach, called "Donna's Funtime Magic", which is about 20& magic, and 80% costumes and gags, but other than that, no brick and mortar places to "hang out".

Plese, don't hesitate to look me up when you come down. I live just a few blocks from The Dock restaurant.....

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL

Steve Proescher

Postby Steve Proescher » August 4th, 2005, 4:08 am

Will do, Mark. If I lived close to the Dock, I sell all my stove and fridge and turn my kitchen into a magic room :)

We usually stay at the 5th Avenue Beach Club.

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”