Noteworthy Castle Lineup Jan 15-21

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.

Noteworthy Castle Lineup Jan 15-21

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2006, 7:15 pm

Quite the lineup at the Castle in a few weeks.

CLOSE-UP GALLERY
Derek DelGaudio
John Carney

PARLOUR OF PRESTIDIGITATION
David Williamson
Handsome Jack

PALACE OF MYSTERY
Mike Caveney
Jim Steinmeyer
John Gaughan

On Friday and Saturday nights, the W.C. Fields bar will have J.C. Wagner.

Re: Noteworthy Castle Lineup Jan 15-21

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2006, 6:55 am

Originally posted by Pete McCabe:
Quite the lineup at the Castle in a few weeks.

CLOSE-UP GALLERY
Derek DelGaudio
John Carney

PARLOUR OF PRESTIDIGITATION
David Williamson
Handsome Jack

PALACE OF MYSTERY
Mike Caveney
Jim Steinmeyer
John Gaughan

On Friday and Saturday nights, the W.C. Fields bar will have J.C. Wagner.
Damn it. Why haven't my work sorted out my Visa yet so I could see all this??!?

:(

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2006, 7:58 pm

Six living legends in that line up, but who the hell are Derek DelGaudio and Handsome Jack?

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2006, 9:10 pm

AWESOME!!! I haven't had the chance to visit the Castle yet...this would be the time to go!!! I've been lucky enough to see Carney, Caveney, and Williamson. I'd love to see Steinmeyer and Gaughan.

Postby Guest » December 14th, 2006, 6:49 am

Originally posted by Jason Caillier:
AWESOME!!! I haven't had the chance to visit the Castle yet...this would be the time to go!!! I've been lucky enough to see Carney, Caveney, and Williamson. I'd love to see Steinmeyer and Gaughan. I just became recent fans of theirs. Both seem to be genius!
If you need an invitation, let me know.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 14th, 2006, 9:24 am

"Six living legends in that line up, but who the hell are Derek DelGaudio and Handsome Jack?"

So many answers, so little time.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2006, 11:55 am

Originally posted by John Lovick:
Who the hell are Derek DelGaudio and Handsome Jack?
I think one of them does something with ballons, and the other was booked out of sympathy.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 16th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Which one is the mercy booking?

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2006, 12:49 pm

I find poking fun at Derek and Jack unneccessarily (and undeservedly) mean, especially when none of us has ever seen them work.

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2006, 1:26 pm

It's very hard to visit the castle and see all five acts. So they often include one performer that no one will mind missing.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 16th, 2006, 4:19 pm

None of us has ever seen them work? Speak for yourself! :) And Lovick started the whole thing, so he's to blame. He must be the mercy booking (kind of like, he who smelt it dealt it).

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2006, 3:52 am

Can I just point out that the following week seems to have a great lineup too.... :-)

Have a great Christmas/Holiday season/Weekend (Delete or amend as appropriate.)

John.

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2006, 3:54 am

Alright.... I admit it, I meant me. Tongue in cheek, honest.

John

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2006, 1:15 pm

So John, are you the mercy booking? ;) :D

Actually I wish I could be there. I LOVE your Educating Archer DVD and would relish the opportunity to see you in person.

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2006, 3:21 pm

If you hav'nt seen John live, Walk there you will be fooled & laugh you socks off.

Postby Guest » December 22nd, 2006, 2:51 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave V:
[QB] So John, are you the mercy booking? ;) :D

I probably am, but a gig is a gig and I've heard the food is good. :)

Postby Guest » December 28th, 2006, 10:15 am

Have some exciting news about the week in question. A conflict has arisen for Dave Williamson and he can only perform the last part of the week (that's not the exciting part). To fill in for him Monday through Thursday, I've booked Joel Hodgson. Many of you know Joel as the creator/star of "Mystery Science Theatre 3000". Before that he had a great career as a stand-up comic. He's a life-long magic hobbyist and he always had certain magic elements in his stand-up act. Genii featured him on the cover of the magazine about 10 years ago or so.

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2007, 1:06 am

I have additional exciting news. Monday January 15 only (the first day of the week in question) David Roth will be doing the early close-up shows. He has not played the Castle in years and it'll probably be a while before he does it again. One more reason to come to the Castle that week.

Also, no comments about Joel Hodgson? Are there no MST3K fans that read this forum?

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2007, 11:20 am

Here's an update. David WIlliamson has had to drop out, unfortunately. But the good news is that that means Joel Hodgson will be doing the entire week. I just spoke to him on the phone and he's got a lot of whacked out and warped ideas planned.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 5th, 2007, 11:53 am

Erika told me that having Joel on the cover of Genii made it the most popular (best selling) issue of her reign.

Frank Dudgeon
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

Postby Frank Dudgeon » January 6th, 2007, 9:16 am

Have been a big fan of MST3K for many years. I loved the occasional magic references in the show. Joel Hodgson created a milestone in TV. Just wish I could be in California this month, but I'm tied to my job.

Frank Dudgeon

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2007, 3:34 am

Just got back from the first night of this lineup. All I can say is GO! Get to the magic castle. Had the extra added treat tonight only to see David Roth work. It's been long time since I had that chance live.

All the acts are fantastic, but a unique highlight is the Palace Show... Jim Steinmeyer, Mike Caveney and John Gaughn all in cahoots bringing some famous historical illusions to life in the very special show. You will see some really entertaining... and amazing... illusions from yesteryear recreated by the masters on stage.

I'm heading east to the MagiFest in Ohio next week and have quite some conversation pieces to talk about from just tonights show.

Thank you to all who brought this to Hollywood tonight... and all this week.

Nick Carifo

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2007, 7:48 am

You said it all Nick - and what a crowded Monday night it was!

This is the week to beg, borrow or steal your way to the Castle.

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2007, 8:33 am

Originally posted by John Lovick:
Also, no comments about Joel Hodgson? Are there no MST3K fans that read this forum?
I remember him very well. I had a tape of him (on Betamax) doing about 8 minutes of comedy. My favorite bit was the Invisible Man answering the phone at home. Also, his siamese twin ventroliquist dummy Danny O Danny was very good (as well as his "Agent J" persona !!)

Postby Guest » January 18th, 2007, 10:55 am

Got to see the Palace show last night...can't add anything that has not already been said. GO, GO, GO. This is such a great opportunity to see things you may never see again.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 18th, 2007, 1:11 pm

All dinner reservations Fri/Sat are sold out. Argh... too late.
Stay tooned.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 18th, 2007, 2:55 pm

Was in house on Monday. It was a fabulous evening. A big hat's off to those responsible for arranging such an amazing line up.

Brad

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2007, 11:22 am

Originally posted by Brad Henderson:
Was in house on Monday. It was a fabulous evening. A big hat's off to those responsible for arranging such an amazing line up.

Brad
It was off the hook. I went last night. And am going again tonight.

I felt like a child. Like a layman. I have never, ever experienced anything like that in my life. Just incredible.

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » January 21st, 2007, 3:08 pm

I saw the show in the Palace of Mystery (or, as it was being called this week, the Palace of History) twice: the first show on Monday night and the last show on Wednesday night. There were several significant differences between the two. In the first, Jim Steinmeyer introduced his stage-sized "Find The Lady" illusion with a demonstration of the game using jumbo cards. I liked that a lot, and I was glad I got to see it before it got the hook due to time constraints. The order of "Find the Lady" and "Toccata for Light Bulb in Paper Bag" (the other illusion he presented) had also been reversed. But most memorably, on Wednesday night Tina Lenert magically appeared right-side-up, rather than upside-down as she had on Monday. I don't know the details of what happened with that, but everybody was blaming Regal.

No - David Regal and Jonathan Levit were very capable assistants, and they probably just hadn't thought it through and realized that Tina was directional.

It was truly an amazing week, and Jon Lovick deserves the highest praise for making this happen, and also for letting it be known that it was happening. I saw all of the available magic, with the exception of David Roth. He did four performances in the 22-seat Close-Up Gallery on Monday night, and I was discouraged from even trying to be one of the 88 people who got to see it when I noted the line of sleeping bags extending down to Franklin Avenue when I left the Castle on Sunday night.

That's an exaggeration, but the line did form very early on Monday - hours before the first show - and people were turned away, with Chris Korn having the distinction of being the first rejected guy when the cut-off occurred.

In addition to the uniformly strong and enjoyable line-up of shows, the week also featured a "Castle Perk" on Tuesday night: an interview with Stan Allen, which was conducted (and had been arranged) by Max Maven.

What with these "Castle Perks" from Max, and librarian Bill Goodwin's "Trick of the Week" program, and Jon Lovick's inspired booking, the Magic Castle really is the place to be. Just keep it coming, keep it coming.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 22nd, 2007, 12:13 pm

Only by the good graces of Mike Caveney was I able to get into a show on Saturday night, the place was so packed. There is little I can add to what has already been said about the performances in the Palace (except perhaps another thank you to Mr. Caveney). Interestingly, Mike had a little difficulty with the Astral Hand that evening and (in his words) became flustered. Youll have to take my word for it when I say his idea of flustered appears cool and calm to everyone else; the product of decades of experience. And the delivery of one simple line at the end covered everything and the audience loved him.

From the nice little program to the final bows, the entire troupe (Mike Caveney, Jim Steinmeyer, John Gaughan, Tina Lenert, Jonathan Levit, and David Regal) did a stupendous job and Im thrilled that they brought this terrific show to the Castle. I hope well get to see more of this kind of thing in the coming years.

For the first time ever I witnessed a performance of Joel Hodgson. The man is delightfully twisted and I enjoyed every moment. Part of me wishes they made shark skin suits in my size and Ill never be able to use my leaf blower again without laughing. That will keep my neighbors guessing.

Alas I missed Handsome Jack (because I dont know how to manage time) and John Carney (because Im getting old). I did see JC Wagner, which is always a treat.

I think this last week will be one that will be one of those that will be talked about for a very long time by those fortunate enough to be there.

Dustin

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » January 22nd, 2007, 1:33 pm

Once again I can only say that anyone who lives in driving distance to the Castle, should thank their lucky stars ...

Just check MapQuest and from my house in Denver the trip is 1022.01 miles
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » January 23rd, 2007, 2:31 pm

To comment further on the other shows and scenes of the week, it was a real treat for me to see Joel Hodgson in the Parlor. Mystery Science Theater 3000 wasn't just a funny show, it was a coping strategy. It was about answering all things tedious, perplexing, and annoying with a playful, friendly spirit. It was so nice to experience the playful, friendly spirit there in its own right, without having to trigger it through tedium, perplexity, and annoyance.

Joel's Genii cover is actually my favorite one ever. It captures the image of that same coping strategy. He's holding his serenity and directing your attention upward while the usual band of magic imps ineffectively pester him. In the interview within the magazine (conducted by John Carney), Joel states his goal to someday become "Pure Picture." At the time he made that statement, he probably hadn't seen the picture yet and realized that he had done it.

The art director for that "Pure Picture" was Michael Albright, who did get to see the David Roth show. I know this because I helped him while away some of his wait time with various chat. It's possible that some of the people who had been waiting in the line for hours were wondering if I was going to try to chat my way into the show, but I did not do this, and justice and fairness prevailed all around.

I also met Mark Collier, who cut a very Oscar Wildean figure, and indeed we did exchange witty banter about the hilarious things our sons had crashed their cars into. What laughs!

Another real coup of the week was getting Handsome Jack into the parlor. I heard that John Lovick had to pressure him for months before he agreed to do it. Here's to persistence! He presented an effect with slates that featured a wonderfully plausible explanation for why a magician would have any such items: they were props from an episode of "Little House on the Prairie" where they thought the schoolhouse was haunted. Everything that followed was well-integrated with that premise - and yes, those slates still had plenty of haunt in 'em.

Derek DelGaudio in the Close-Up Gallery did a demonstration of The Piano Card Trick/Apples & Oranges principle using socks, and I have to hand it to him for solving the most difficult part of that trick: keeping the many iterations of pairing interesting. His enthusiasm never flagged! This sock sorting is vitally important, people, he indicated. I shall try to learn.

Returning to the topic of wits, I had a really interesting conversation with Terry Ellet comparing and contrasting three of that school: the perfectly cynical Ambrose Bierce; the somewhat cynical yet very light and tender-hearted Mark Twain; and the true believer Will Rogers. Obviously, being pissed off can make people really funny, but it's good to know, too, that you don't have to be.

I also had a conversation with John Carney, who had some very touching things to say about his early experiences at the Magic Castle. His nostalgia had been fueled by reading "The Vernon Touch" and remembering how those columns felt and sounded the first time he had read them, when they had originally appeared. It was easy to sympathize with his perspective, as there are many of us going around now who have attained to mid-life and who are watching the world we knew fall down around us. But this only means that it's our turn to step into the shoes. So I say to John and to any who find themselves mourning the glorious past of giants and geniuses:

YOU'RE IT.

Postby Guest » January 25th, 2007, 9:59 am

Thanks to all for the news and reviews. It took me back to when I was a kid in Arizona reading all about the Castle goings-on in Genii. Any thoughts on making something like this a regular feature on the forum?

Postby Guest » January 25th, 2007, 1:15 pm

I have to say that I got down here on Friday and had the weekend at The Castle. I managed to get into the Palace show on the Sunday and it was phenominal, as was every show at the Castle last week there were no weak shows everything was great. I think that those seven days will be talked about for years to come as one of those stella moments in magic history. It certainly makes me feel like I want to come back again and again. Well done to all involved in putting it together.

John

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » February 8th, 2007, 12:56 pm

The strangest thing. Mitch Dutton wrote to me remarking on this "perfect storm" of a Magic Castle week, and as I reviewed it once again in my thoughts there was something very noticeable about it all: Bill Goodwin was there for pretty much everything that I described. The talk with Mark Collier about the car-crashing sons - Bill Goodwin was there. The conversation with John Carney was me, John Carney, and Bill Goodwin. Chris Korn broke the bad news about missing the Roth show to me and Bill Goodwin. Terry Ellet and I compared writers in the library, where Bill Goodwin and a crew were hauling huge stacks of books around as part of the library reorganization. Bill Goodwin was even there late Thursday night when I was sitting at the bar talking with Bono.

Yeah, nobody's mentioned that yet because I was actually talking with "Bono". This is a guy who looks, acts, dresses like and in every way emulates Bono, even going so far as to accept the drinks, thanks and praise that Bono couldn't be there personally to accept. Anyway, this guy wanted my opinion on three questions.

The first was, did I believe in the concept of soulmate? Sometimes I believe in the concept of soulmate, sometimes I don't. Right now I do - so, yes. But whether or not I believe in it, I am always true to it.

Next he wanted to know if friendship wasn't better than love because love breaks and friendship lasts. I said that friendship has that reputation, but we can all look at our own lives and see where we were really and truly great friends with somebody, and then not, whether through drifting in different directions or through circumstances conspiring and hurtful things happening - but either way, friendship is alive, like love, and just as subject to death.

Last he wanted to know if science wasn't better than spirit because it was reliable and repeatable. I said that this was the difference between science and spirit. With science, everything is repeatable, and with spirit nothing works twice. Spiritual poise is being awake and alive to the right thing for this day, this moment, this case, without regard or reference to precedent.

Those were good questions, so I consider him at least to some degree entitled to the drinks, thanks, and praise he was collecting.

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2007, 10:24 am

You met Bono!?!

By the way, this Goodwin guy sounds like a stalker. Watch out.

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » February 9th, 2007, 11:46 am

Bill Goodwin is posting? WHERE THE HELL IS MY PENUMBRA?!?

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”