Chicago magic sessions

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.

Chicago magic sessions

Postby Guest » September 16th, 2007, 7:31 pm

Hello. I would like to get a magic session get together going at the Metropolis Cafe on Granville---between wintrop and kenmore---on Saturday afternoons, noon or so. Saturdays are usually good for me but im certainly open for other days or nights.

Re: Chicago magic sessions

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2007, 6:12 pm

A little bit about the place: the owners are friends of mine and I hang out there fairly regularly, with coins and cards at hand, so it's not unusual for someone to request to see a trick or two. Imagine a whole table of magicians.
Im usually there at noon-ish on Saturdays.

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » September 20th, 2007, 7:29 am

Although I work close to Granville (at Loyola University), I don't live close by. So Saturdays would be tricky (weekend dominated by family time). Sixish on weeknights would work better for me, though I could try to make Saturday. How about giving us (or at least me) some of your background?

Personally, I'm someone who is relatively new to magic. Although I'm 45 I've started to take magic (specifically card magic) seriously for only about three years. I don't want to play around with beginner stuff, though, so I'm working on intermediate stuff (Paul Harris, Paul Cummins, for example). So I could use a regular session.

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2007, 7:39 am

I know Mike. He has roots in the D.C. area as well as here in Chicago. He is a great magician, well read, likes to knuckle bust with the best of them and is a really great guy to hang out with.

(But what is my opinion worth? I am a known trouble maker.)

:D

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2007, 12:44 pm

That's what I've always liked about P.T Murphy---he is always right. And he's half of The Magic Cabaret, Chicago's smash hit magic show.

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2007, 12:55 pm

And, Mrehula---I am partial to coins, though I certainly have nothing against cards. I have set routines I pratice everyday, cards, coins, cups and balls, and a couple other things. And I like to work on new material. It's all fun. Been into it since I was about 15, and Im the same age as you, give or take a month.
6:00 ish on weeknights is cool sometimes, but Ive been working a lot of nights lately. I've been on vacation this week from a well known book store and I'll know my new schedule come Sunday. We'll figure out a good time to session. Maybe P.T Murphy will join us...

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2007, 2:12 pm

I'm hoping the whole lot of ya join me at SAM3 (where you may find some other folks well worth sessioning with).

Best,
Neil Tobin

P.S. Info on SAM3 and a whole lot of other Chicago magic goings-ons can be found at http://magicalchicago.com

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2007, 6:00 am

Mike-
It is widely known that my skills are limited. But I would be happy to join you.

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2007, 1:30 pm

It sounds fun, Mike. I could only make it irregularly, but I'll certainly try, please do keep us posted.

Postby Guest » September 22nd, 2007, 11:05 am

If evenings work out better for you guys, I could be there on tuesdays, 6:00 or so. How's that sound?
And dont let P.T fool you; he does a great cups& balls routine.

Postby Guest » September 24th, 2007, 10:53 am

Ok, so I just saw my new schedule and saturday's are out for me. Looks like tuesday evenings around 6:00 are good. I'll be there tomorrow if anyone wants hang out. See ya's...

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”