New York Visit

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.

New York Visit

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2006, 1:42 pm

:confused: Will be in New York City on Wed. Dec. 27 and Thur. Dec. 28. Searched the web and couldn't find any mid week magic entertainment. Does anyone know of any?

Brian Marks

Re: New York Visit

Postby Brian Marks » December 4th, 2006, 2:13 pm

There isn't any midweek magic shows. The best thing in to hang out at Fantasmo. They have flyers for any shows that might be going on that I don't know about. I do suggest checking out Time Out New York. Magic shows could appear in one of several listings in it like the comedy section.

Monday Night Magic occurs every week on the said night. Steve Cohen, if in town that week, is on Saturday nights. I don't know who else performs on a regular basis but usually do public shows on the weekend.

Postby Guest » December 5th, 2006, 9:10 am

Thanks for the tip! It seems that Monday is the big night for most magic venues. I was hoping that the Big Apple would have a few small bars or restaurants that feature magic on a regular basis.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » December 5th, 2006, 9:47 am

Originally posted by Ken Davis:
Thanks for the tip! It seems that Monday is the big night for most magic venues. I was hoping that the Big Apple would have a few small bars or restaurants that feature magic on a regular basis.
it does but I am unaware of pro magicians advertising their shows to other magicians. These shows in bars and restaurants change quickly.

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2006, 7:37 am

Check out Ninja (ninjanewyork.com). Its a ninja-themed Japanese restaurant with close-up magicians.

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » December 15th, 2006, 1:38 pm

Ken Davis

There is a show of magic on the dates you are in town. It is a one man show.

EXTRAORDINARY DECEPTIONS
A Magical Holiday Extravaganza
Conceived and Performed by 'Magic' Michael Gutenplan

Limited Holiday Engagement December 19 through 30
At Theatre Row's Lion Theatre (410 W 42nd St)

Showtime is a 7:00pm Tuesday through Thursday
8:00 on Fridays
2:30 and 8:00 on Saturday

Tickets are $30.00 and may be purchased at www.Ticketcentral.com (212-279-4200) or at the Box Office

Michael is a regular visitor to the New York Magic Table in Times Square and a very nice young man. I am not connected to the show in any manner.

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » December 15th, 2006, 1:39 pm

Ken Davis

There is a show of magic on the dates you are in town. It is a one man show.

EXTRAORDINARY DECEPTIONS
A Magical Holiday Extravaganza
Conceived and Performed by 'Magic' Michael Gutenplan

Limited Holiday Engagement December 19 through 30
At Theatre Row's Lion Theatre (410 W 42nd St)

Showtime is a 7:00pm Tuesday through Thursday
8:00 on Fridays
2:30 and 8:00 on Saturday

Tickets are $30.00 and may be purchased at www.Ticketcentral.com (212-279-4200) or at the Box Office

Michael is a regular visitor to the New York Magic Table in Times Square and a very nice young man. I am not connected to the show in any manner.

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » January 1st, 2007, 8:07 am

I recomended this show by this young green magician to Ken Davis for his visit to NYC during the Christmas season. Michael got a review in the New York Times and I thought I would share it will all of you. Michael's show closed on December 30th.

-----

Spare Times: For Children

By THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: December 29, 2006

EXTRAORDINARY DECEPTIONS A MAGICAL HOLIDAY EXTRAVAGANZA! No professional magician seems actually to practice what Harry Potter would call the dark arts, but you couldnt tell that to a woman at a recent performance of Michael Gutenplans Extraordinary Deceptions. When Mr. Gutenplan, above, selected her from the audience to be the star of his finale he was to saw her in half she nervously lay on the table onstage for a few seconds, then bolted for her seat. Her reaction might have had something to do with Mr. Gutenplans costume, which at that point included an apron smeared with fake blood. (He cheerfully explained that the stains had occurred only in rehearsal.) Or she might have hesitated because not all of Mr. Gutenplans routines seem perfectly polished. But that is part of his charm. Young and eager, he is an old-fashioned magician, working with cards, money and minds (he reads them), rather than with complicated machinery or pyrotechnics. He also requests a helper for almost every trick, a practice that delights most magic fans under 18, if not their more shy elders. Mr. Gutenplan is particularly captivating in feats like guessing the words in a randomly chosen paragraph from a randomly chosen book page (volunteers do the selecting) or cutting open a lemon to reveal a marked bill from an unsuspecting theatergoers wallet. And when an audience member opens a long-sealed envelope to reveal the same telephone number that a series of volunteers has picked from the White Pages one chooses the page, another the column of type, another the number then Mr. Gutenplans hourlong show lives up to its title. (Tonight at 8, tomorrow at 2:30 and 8 p.m., Lion Theater, 410 West 42nd Street, Clinton, 212-279-4200; $30.

LAUREL GRAEBER

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2007, 1:59 pm

Thanks to all for the recommendations. We did take in "Deceptions" which was very nice. Bumped into Chris Angel at Madison Square Garden, and had a nice visit at Tannens with a couple of locals who were checking out some new tricks. Thanks again!!
Happy New Year to All!

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”