Las Vegas Magic Shops

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.

Las Vegas Magic Shops

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2007, 4:47 pm

Going to Vegas tomorrow for a week and will definitely vist Denny and Lee's. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Bill

Re: Las Vegas Magic Shops

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2007, 9:22 pm

Hey Bill -

With the exception of the tourist shops, Denny & Lee is about your only option in Vegas. Of course I am a tiny bit biased since you will find me in there one day a week when I am in town!

When are you planning on coming? There are a few special events in the theatre in the back over the next week before/during/after the magic convention this week including a Boris Wild lecture and a special hands-on workshop on the Malini Egg Bag given by Denny!

Mr. Stickley

Postby Guest » February 17th, 2007, 4:14 pm

The magic shop at the Riveria is, no doubt, a "tourist shop" but they have a surprisingly large selection of close-up magic. Denny's should be your first stop, but if you have the extra time, consider it. Just don't count on any interesting shop talk, the last time I was there the counter help knew nothing about magic.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 17th, 2007, 4:31 pm

Don't sell the Houdini shops short: they sell the only authorized versions of all of Brother Hamman's packet tricks! If you've never seen them done, ask for a demo.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2007, 12:35 pm

I'll be in Vegas next week Apr 15-19. I'd love to have any suggestions on shows/must sees/must do's while I'm there. Thanks!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 12th, 2007, 1:35 pm

GO SEE MAC KING.

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2007, 4:00 pm

Yes - see Mac. For the money...hands down, best magic show is Vegas! worth it a twice the price and a GREAT guy!!

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2007, 4:31 pm

The standard tickets (24.95) will get you seated closer to the stage than the "free" (with 2 drink purchase) tickets.

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2007, 11:05 am

I am totally planning on seeing Mac King. I saw him a couple years ago at TAOM and was thoroughly entertained! Thanks for the tip about the standard ticket! I've heard the Penn & Teller show is great as well (much different than their TV specials.)

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2007, 11:14 am

I would recommend P&T *just* so see Teller's Miser's Dream. It's just the perfect trick.

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2007, 11:29 am

Cool...thanks!

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2007, 1:58 pm

Gary Darwin just phoned to tell me on Wednesday, April 18th, there will be a Reed McClintock lecture at BOOMERS - 3200 Sirius Ave
in Las Vegas. It starts at 10:00PM. Be there or be square.
There is only one "real" Magic Shop in Las Vegas and that is the Denny & Lee Magic Studio located at 5115 Dean Martin Drive #907
702-740-3500

Mac King is a must see (again and again).

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2007, 2:44 pm

I agree:
Mac King - absolutely yes.
Penn and Teller - by all means,yes.
********* - I can't recommend, but maybe you'll like it.
But pick up the free tourist guide - there are MANY great shows - just so little time to catch them all!

And, in a different vein - if you've never seen Cirque du Soleil, now's your chance. I recommend Mystere. Just be sure to get to your seat about ten minutes early to catch a funny "bit'. And, if you can, don't get a seat too far house left because there's a funny bit that happens stage right.

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2007, 2:49 pm

Oh, and P & T - get there early too for the pre-show concert!

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2007, 11:01 pm

Thanks for all the tips! I will definitely try to make the McClintock lecture! I've got a few dvd's with Gary Darwin on them and his collection of magic. He seems to be a great guy...would love to meet him as well!

Day One was a good day to take in some buffets, tomorrow I'll take in some magic!!

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 1:46 am

Just a review for the houdini shop:

I visited the shop in cesars palace tonight and bought three of his marketed effects as well as his booklet.

I returned five minutes later to return the marketed effects because the quality was horrible. The ink in the gaffs had scratches in them, pips were missing, and the general construction of the cards was very poor.

Just be sure to check what you buy before you walk out of the store.

Im off to Denny and Lee's tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 8:04 am

I see that Mr Munari the owner of Houdini's is a member here. No doubt he will address your concerns.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 17th, 2007, 8:04 am

So, rage1, the customer service must have been pretty good if they let you return the items!

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 10:40 am

yeah, they were really nice.

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 11:41 am

Regarding the Mac King show. I have a bit of a different take on the seating than does Mr. Signa above. I've seen the show at least 5 times and I personally really enjoy sitting back in one of the nice round booths, center stage. Much more comfortable, you don't have to crank your head and the viewing is great.

Of course, these booths are "VIP reserved" but it's amazing what a $20 spot to the host can do for your social status. Worth it IMHO. Hope you are having a fantastic time.

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 5:29 pm

I'm in LV this week as well.

The show at the Greek Isles with Kevin James and others has come highly rcommended as a night of good magic and wonderful entertainment.

Are you here for the NAB? If so be sure to see Dick Stoner at the Belden booth in the central hall.

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2007, 1:16 am

Mac King was awesome today....i wondered how to get those seats though, it was kinda weird how they seated us...I had a great view though, just a couple empty tables between us and the stage! His show was great!

I will check out Dick Stoner at NAB tomorrow. I missed the Penn and Teller show today, and not sure I'll be able to do it at 9 tomorrow with the 10pm McClintock...guess i have to choose! It's so hard to get everything in!!!

I need to live here for a while!!

Thanks guys for all your suggestions!
Jason

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 18th, 2007, 5:42 am

Jason,

Now that you've seen Mac, always my number one pick in Las Vegas, don't overlook the Cirque du Soleil shows, of which there are five in town and two more on the way (Elvis, Criss Angel). Of those I've seen, Mystere is (eponymously) the most mysterious and magical, O is the most spectacular (terrifying drops into water, a guy sets himself completely ablaze), and the new Beatles show LOVE is just plain fun (includes the magic trick where a girl's head suddenly drops from her neck to her belly button). These are all fabulous productions.

Plus you have Lance Burton, Amazing Johnathan, P&T, etc. to choose from.

Have fun.

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”