The San Francisco treat?

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.

The San Francisco treat?

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2007, 5:00 pm

I'll be in the Bay Area over the next couple of weeks. Despite being born in San Francisco, I'm not sure what the magic scene is like.

What is there to go do and see as far as magician's hangout's or magic shows? I'll be checking Misdirections out, but beyond that?

I'll be in the San Francis this weekend, and Marin county later on...please advise.

Happy new years!

Re: The San Francisco treat?

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2007, 10:38 am

Despite a small pool of extremely talented entertainers, it doesn't look like much going on in the near future. Just missed a few great shows in December, unfortunately. A short drive, and worth checking out, is CALIFORNIA MAGIC .

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2007, 7:48 pm

Mr. Hooper,
Welcome back to the City.

Audioslave is correct: San Francisco's nightlife is a faded memory of what used to be...

BUT you would probably like Teatro Zinzanni at Pier 29. It is dinner and a show that includes magic in an atmospheric setting.
Go to http://love.zinzanni.org and click on the show thumb-nail to get a small taste.

Joe at Misdirections has almost everything you could name that you might want, magic-wise, and it is true you never know who might be there. Imagine my surprise, for instance, when I stormed in and there stood Mr. Steve Cohen...Ay carumba!

Finally, Mr. Hooper, and ALL OF YOU SF/Bay Area chaps that are out there--let's decide on a good spot to meet-up for a little session, and to host this Panama dude properly.

There are only about one million places in this town that would be acceptable, such as a booth at Sam's Grill, Fog City Diner, upstairs at Vesuvio, Mario's Cigar Store, Bix, the Washbag, Eddie Rickenbacker's on 2nd...

You guys just let me know how high-brow you want to go and I'll make sure we're treated royal...

My e-mail is castawaydave@usa.net

Give me an e-jingle, and let's pick an evening to get together for some cocktails and card tricks, gentlemen... :cool:

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2007, 10:27 am

Castawaydave,
I tried emailing you at the above addy. Rejected. Email me thru the Genii forum and we'll connect.

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2007, 2:57 pm

Of course, that email account lapsed immediately after I posted the address.
Sorry--you can send any messages to Dave Cox at the following address: newworldshomes@yahoo.com

Thanks for your patience.

Am looking forward to getting a little something going in this town... :whack:

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2007, 1:52 pm

Yo--The early returns seem to indicate Yancy's saloon (on Irving, just around the corner from Misdirections, a bit off the corner of 9th) may very well be the place to meet.

My normal email is back up and running:
castawaydave@usa.net

Let me know what timing is convenient, and let us convene.

Ciao--Dave Cox

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2007, 7:25 pm

Thanks for all the organization Dave!

I'm up the delta right now, I'll be checking into the Sir Francis Drake tommorow afternoon. I have a dinner and wedding to attend this weekend, but I should still have some time...I plan on getting to Misdirections tommorow, at the very least.

I'll be in town to the 19th also, bouncing between Marin, San Fran, and god knows where else (maybe Santa Cruz), so just let me know how your schedules are.

My experience with Magicians is limited almost exclusively to the virtual, but I know a thing or two about magic (and enough to know I know nearly nothing :D ), so we might get into some fun!

Thanks again.

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2007, 5:31 pm

Every Friday night a group gathers in Sunnyvale, enjoys a good session which often includes a mix of cocktails, bar snacks, close-up magic, and some parlour magic. This is about 45 minutes south of San Francisco, drop me an email jbodine(at)gatenet.com if you're interested and/or avialable.

For what it's worth, the Palo Alto SAM 94 <www.sam94.org> has their annual auction on Monday, January 8th, and IBM Ring 216 is having Bill Goldman lecture on Wednesday January 10th.

Lot's doing in the Bay Area these days.

johnbodine

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”