Taking a trip to San Francisco...

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.

Taking a trip to San Francisco...

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2004, 11:16 am

I'm taking a trip to San Francisco after Christmas, from 12/26 to 1/5. Are there any places to hang out, stores to go to, etc., etc.? Thanks in advance.

Zach

Jim Morton

Re: Taking a trip to San Francisco...

Postby Jim Morton » December 1st, 2004, 11:56 am

Stop in Misdirections Magic Shop and you are liable to find a magician or two hanging out talking to Joe on any given day. If you have access to a car, you might also want to go visit Gerry Griffin at California Magic Novelty Co. up in Martinez. He could also tell you if there are any shows at that time (although that's a pretty quiet week as a rule...). Misdirections is at 1236 9th Ave, near Golden Gate Park. California Magic is at 729 Castro Street, just off the main drag.

Jim

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2004, 2:52 pm

Are you going to be in SF proper or one of the surrounding areas? Often folks will say SF when they mean Pleasanton or something else.

While here do spend your time in magic shops. Ignore the fact that San Francisco is voted one of the top tourist destinations in the world. Don't go to the warf area or Pier 39, coit tower, the new science museum or even just wander around this beautiful city. Don't take a day trip to Napa or the Redwood Forrest or see the beaches or technical museums. You can find all that stuff anywhere, but a good collection of Jay Sankey material? That is a good place to be.

You'll read between the lines I hope and take time to enjoy the region.
Steve V

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2004, 4:01 pm

Steve,

I am actually going to be in San Francisco, at least for part of the time. My parents and I are taking a trip out there. We will remain in the SF for quite a while, but will take trips up further north as well.

As far as magic goes, I always make it a point to stop in at a magic store in various locales that I travel to, but if it is a hassle, then I don't worry too much about it. As far as meetings go, I was just checking to see if there was anything along the lines of Gary Darwin's meetings once a week in Las Vegas, where I could meet some of the local magicians.

I plan to fully enjoy the region as well as possible, as I've never been on the West Coast before. Thanks for making sure I keep my priorities straight, however. I wouldn't want to waste time looking at famous sights when I could be purchasing the latest Sankey DVD to watch in my hotel room... :D

Thanks for all the replies and help!

Zach

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2004, 4:16 pm

Okay. As long as you visit other things you can go to the magic shop. Lock your car. I'm South of SF so you won't be seeing me.
Steve V

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 1st, 2004, 6:36 pm

Don't miss House of Magic (Mark Burger and tell him I sent you). He's at Chestnut and Fillmore (parking is tough, but worth going there). Tons of goofy novelties (has to pay rent) but there are collector's items there for sure.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 7th, 2004, 11:50 am

For over ten years now I've been organizing a lunch every Saturday for magicians at Chevy's in Foster City (that's about the "outer marker" to SFO -- i.e. about a half hour drive south of SF). Sometimes only two of us show up... other times five or six show up (you just never know... although emailing a week or two ahead gives me time to let some other people know which might increase the numbers).

See http://www.think.org/magic/lunches.html for more info and directions.

John Bodine

Postby John Bodine » December 7th, 2004, 1:25 pm

Every Friday night there is a gathering about an hour south of SF in Cupertino. Easy freeway access. The garage has been converted into a parlor setting of sorts, curtains, lights, sound, close-up table, only thing missing is tiered seating. In the living room adjoining there is a nice bar. Things get started at 7:30 and usually go past midnight. If anyone is ever in town drop me a message and I'll give you the details.

John Bodine

Steve V

Postby Steve V » December 8th, 2004, 8:26 am

Is that Cupertino or is he in Sunnyvale? Also South of San Francisco. Alan, just don't ask any lecturers in SF where San Jose, Cupertino, or Sunnyvale etc is...they never heard of South of San Francisco.
Steve V
Steve V

Jim Morton

Postby Jim Morton » December 8th, 2004, 9:18 am

Originally posted by Steve V:
Is that Cupertino or is he in Sunnyvale? Also South of San Francisco. Alan, just don't ask any lecturers in SF where San Jose, Cupertino, or Sunnyvale etc is...they never heard of South of San Francisco.
Steve V
Here we had a nice civil thread going and Steve V had to go and get nasty. Typical.

Jim

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 8th, 2004, 10:27 am

Check to see if Veronin is playing at Teatro Zan Zanini (sp?). It is a cirque du soliel type dinner theater show thats a blast.

Brad

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » December 8th, 2004, 5:35 pm

http://zinzanni.org/

Well worth it!!

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”