Help finding Houdini's grave?

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.
JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Help finding Houdini's grave?

Postby JohnCox » August 29th, 2005, 10:20 am

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are in New York (42nd Street) and we just extended our stay. We would love to visit Houdini's grave in Queens, but I was wondering exactly how to find it. Looks like maybe we can take the M train all the way to the end? Not sure. If anyone can help, that would be great.

(And if anyone knows how to get to Amityville Long Island from Manhattan, that would be great too.)

Thanks in advance. :)

Webmaster: Houdini Lives!
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

Re: Help finding Houdini's grave?

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2005, 10:45 am

I don't know if this will be of much help but it is on Cypress Hill Avenue, right off Mertal or Myrtel (not sure of spelling but if you enter Cypress Hill Ave on a search you'll be set). If you go up Cypress Hill Ave there are two cemetaries, his is the one on the right (the Jewish cemetary) and is pretty much on the street. I've not been there but my dad lived on the street it is on as a kid.
Steve V

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » August 29th, 2005, 11:00 am

This website: http://www.morbid-curiosity.com/id135.htm

says:
"Take the Interboro Pkwy to Cypress Hill Street exit. Continue down Cypress Hills and on your left you should see this cemetery prior to Cooper Avenue. Houdini is right at the entrance."

Here is the google map for it
Machpelah Cemetery
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » August 29th, 2005, 11:17 am

Ah, great. Thanks.

One thing...as we don't have a car, I was wondering where the nearest Subway stop is (or even if there is a near-by subway stop). I figure we can catch a cab ffrom there, or hopefully walk?

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 29th, 2005, 11:22 am

Originally posted by zencat:
(And if anyone knows how to get to Amityville Long Island from Manhattan, that would be great too.)
By train, you can take the LIRR out to Amityville. You want the trains going towards Babylon (the printed schedules are green).

If you take a car out there, just note that the Interboro Pkwy, by the way, has been called the Jackie Robinson Parkway for at least 10 years now. I believe there are still some signs up noting this, but I felt I should warn you just in case. ;)

If you do take the subway, don't take the M all the way to the end, since that will bring you a bit further north than you need to go. Get off at the second to last stop (Fresh Pond Rd./67th Ave.). It'll still be a little bit of a walk (about a mile), but not as bad. Once you get off, follow Fresh Pond Rd. south and bear left onto Cypress Hills St. Cross over Myrtle Ave. and Cooper Ave. and you should be right there.

-Jim

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » August 29th, 2005, 7:44 pm

I was concieved four blocks away, and we share the same birthday! Take the "L' train into Queens, get off at Myrtle Ave. take Bus # 55
to about 70th Place, look for the Mcdonalds on the right. Walk behind the McDonalds, and towards NYC about fifteen blocks, ask anyone where it is. You will see a smaller traffic circle, go up the hill, traffic is tight, but there are sidewalks, once you are about 500 feet up, start to look right, he will be staring at you behind giant metal gates. Talk to him, as he is a good listener!

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » August 30th, 2005, 7:30 am

Awesome, thanks guys. :)

We did make it out to Amityville yesterday (LIRR express from Penn Station -- we were very pleased with ourselves for figuring this out :) ), and today, now that we these EXCELLENT directions, we will attempt to find the grave!

Might hit some other Houdini sites today as well. We already went to the house in Harlem, but we might head back for a second look. I have some other spots I'd like to see -- like the site of H Richter Sons, Martinkas Magic, the Hotel Shelton pool -- but we'll see if time and our legs permit. :)

Thanks again. I'll post up pics on my website when I get home and put the link here.

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2005, 1:23 pm

Lucy and I will be in Hilton, NY part of next week. Apparently, Lucy and Marie Blood (Houdini's niece) were the only two lady magicians from Hilton, New York. Marie Blood died in January.

Lucy was already in the Hall of Fame there from 1999. She was inducted for her achievements as a physician.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Lucy@MagicBySander.com

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » August 31st, 2005, 7:33 pm

Hello all.

Well, thanks to your terrific directions we found the grave without a problem. :) We took many pics and video clips. We even had time to head back to Harlem and have another look at the house. Went to the Hotel Shelton (now the Marriot) and learned the pool was filled in about 3 years ago, dang-it.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I don't know what we would have done without The Genii Forum. :)

When I have my Houdini/NYC report up on my website, I'll post a link.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » September 2nd, 2005, 6:34 pm

As promised -- pics and a report now on my website. Enjoy.

www.houdini-lives.com

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2005, 6:56 pm

Thank you, I love historical photo's. If I can ask, why are their stones on the graves?
Steve V

cgscpa

Postby cgscpa » September 2nd, 2005, 9:32 pm

Thank you also for posting the pictures. I found them very interesting especially the picture of Mrs. Houdini's name on the marker since she is not buried in the same cemetery.

Originally posted by Steve V':
Thank you, I love historical photo's. If I can ask, why are their stones on the graves?
Steve V
I believe it is Jewish tradition for visitors to leave stones at a grave site as a sign of respect. I am not sure what the stones symbolize.

C. Springirth

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » September 3rd, 2005, 7:21 am

Originally posted by cgscpa:
Thank you also for posting the pictures. I found them very interesting especially the picture of Mrs. Houdini's name on the marker since she is not buried in the same cemetery.

Originally posted by Steve V':
[b] Thank you, I love historical photo's. If I can ask, why are their stones on the graves?
Steve V
I believe it is Jewish tradition for visitors to leave stones at a grave site as a sign of respect. I am not sure what the stones symbolize.

C. Springirth [/b]
The stones also confused me, but I figured it must be something like this. I certainly didn't want to move them. Note there is also a penny on Houdini's grave.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 3rd, 2005, 7:40 am

Originally posted by cgscpa:
I am not sure what the stones symbolize.
You can find out a little bit about it here: http://www.templesanjose.org/JudaismInf ... ebbles.htm

-Jim

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » September 4th, 2005, 1:00 pm

Ah, thank you, Jim. :)

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”