toronto-chicago

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.

toronto-chicago

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2005, 12:00 am

Im going to be travelling to Toronto, New York, Chicago, Illiniose, Indiana, Pensylviania, Ohio, and some surounding areas with my friend Bill Abbott between January 15-30.

We were wondering if you guys (and gals) could recomend magic related things we might be interested in.

We know the stores (Tannens, Browsers, etc.) but we were hoping there might be some good shows or hang outs we might check out.

Let me know!

P.T. Murphy

Re: toronto-chicago

Postby P.T. Murphy » November 3rd, 2005, 9:41 am

Greetings!

In Chicago you should visit Magic Inc. and Midwest Magic. In my humble opinion the best shops in the city...both for different reasons...Magic Inc...just SMELLS like magic!!! Ask for the 10 cent tour! The spirits of Jay and Fran are happily watching over the place.

Midwest Magic is owned by Tim Felix...one of my favorite Chicago magic characters. I could listen to Tim for days! Some times I have...at gun point...while chained to a pipe in his basement...but THAT is another story all together!

Also look into Magic Chicago. This is a new show that a few local magicians and I are working on. The January schedule has not been set yet...you can e-mail me as the time draws near. Our guest performer in October was Eugene Burger. We are not sure who will be appearing in January.

Also look into visiting the Chicago Magic Round Table. This is an invite only deal. The January schedule has not been set...BUT feel free to e-mail me. This usually meets the LAST Thursday of the month.

Yours,
P.T.
"Those who do not believe in magic
will never find it. " -Roald Dahl

Necromancer

Postby Necromancer » November 3rd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Hi Nordatrax,

I'm surprised P.T. didn't mention it, but you might want pay tribute to the birthplace of Chicago Bar Magic, Schulien's, which now operates under the name O'Donovan's but continues to feature close-up magic several nights a week. Info is at:
http://www.kincadesbar.com/odonovans/magic.asp

Also, you might consider seeing the longest running theatrical magic show in the city, "Supernatural Chicago," as reviewed favorably by Eugene Burger in the January 2005 issue of Genii. It's in its second year of weekly performances, and this past month was the subject of a very complimentary half-page profile in the Chicago Tribune. (It's also my show, and I'd love to see you guys there.) For more information, visit www.SupernaturalChicago.com

Safe travels,
Neil Tobin

P.S. Bill Abbott's lecture in Chicago is an exclusive presentation sponsored by Chicago Assembly #3 of the Society of American Magicians. Anybody in the Chicagoland area who would like to attend is encouraged to drop an email to our club secretary for further information: dfbull@joliet.lib.il.us
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

Postby Guest » November 3rd, 2005, 4:18 pm

Thank you both for the info.

I was under the impression that Schulien's was replaced by "The Black Duck"... though I was looking at O'Donovan's, and I hope to get up there. Iwas also looking at your Necromancer show, and it looks very interesting.

I hope to see you all at the lecture!

P.T. Murphy

Postby P.T. Murphy » November 4th, 2005, 10:06 am

So much to do...so little time.
"Those who do not believe in magic

will never find it. " -Roald Dahl

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2005, 11:05 pm

Your telling me!

There are cities we can't spend more then a day in, and most of the day is driving!

Thats why it's so important that we figre out our stops now.

Peace!

Necromancer

Postby Necromancer » November 19th, 2005, 6:33 pm

For anybody who would like more information about Bill Abbott's upcoming lecture in Chicago, please visit the new website for SAM No. 3, www.MagicalChicago.com

Best,
Neil Tobin
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2005, 10:32 am

I saw Neil Tobin's show a little over a year ago and I have to say it's a good time.

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”